Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

As a matter of interestā€¦ What are the repetitive questions that get asked over an over again? Specifically, without digressions about semantics.

Thereā€™s the motion sensor and lights one, but the trigger/condition thing is a common misunderstanding that manifests itself in all sorts of ways. Not reading the docs, not searching properly are behaviours, and 'twas ever thus.

Anyone care to contribute to a list of actual questions?

1 Like

How to configure a power metering properly for the energy dashboard.

Power <> energy. The Power Meter Integration is a thing and Reimann Sum - Left is your friend.

3 Likes

That one I can understand. Not everyone knows the difference between energy and power, or how to convert between the two.

4 Likes

I see a lot of questions about triggers, one of the most common being setting a number state to above a certain level. The user thinks it will trigger if the number is above the set level, not when it changes from below to above, as is the case.

Also questions about raspberry pis no longer working or just crashing.

2 Likes

Tips on Searching for Answers & Duplicate Topics.

1 Like

Done:

Why do I get ā€™ This entity (ā€˜xxxā€™) does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI. See the documentation for more detail.ā€™ is often asked too. And the message literally links to the faq.

5 Likes

That FAQ covers everything, not much more we can do with that one.

And people trying to put templates in triggers, not knowing what trigger_variables are, not knowing variables donā€™t exist until after the trigger, only trigger_variables do.
Trying to set the trigger very specific with templates only to find out they cant and never think of triggering more general and focusing the trigger in the condition statements (in conditions and in the action section)
Lots of opportunity there.
Iā€™ll have to think this thru.
Any more to add to this? number change not level, and that stuff?
Maybe remember you need a trigger to shut it off because if itā€™s on at the end of the time period, it wonā€™t shut itself off. (I know some of these are covered in motion lights, but we could cover it in a post about triggering as well.)

Keep it simple. This is a cookbook, not a comprehensive how-to guide covering every nuance.

Might be best to split it into several short posts, starting with the ā€œWhy hasnā€™t my trigger fired?ā€ one mentioned by @Arh

Done.

Donā€™t forget "thanks I already read the docs you pointed before I posted but didnā€™t understand how to do step 5ā€

Well wth didnā€™t you say so?

3 Likes

Should not only include repetitive post, but also outdated/old/not working solutions/topics
I donā€™t know if there is i.e a yearly ā€œcleanupā€ in a forum like this, i know i sometimes go through i.e closet , cleaning out underwear, socks, t-shirt, which i for various reasons always make an effort to avoid using anyway ( at a time it become ridicules to move the pieces around, trowing them in the back, and next time, line them up again :smile: )

I donā€™t want to ā€œburdenā€ The Moderators , but you have the power ( i assume ) , and for sure, noone would be ā€œmissingā€ an old/outdated info topic. ( Noone will ā€œblameā€ You if you delete Topics you find old/outdated/bullock etc, maybe quarantine, for awhile(so OP has time to react, if he/she feels ā€œoffendedā€ )
And anyways, as it been looking lately there comes more and more and more, from people who donā€™t read the HA-docs, nor for the custom-components they are ā€œtestingā€, and find it much easier to just open a new topic, whenever / whatever pops in in their mind, and most of the time they get answers, which are ā€œupto-dateā€

PS: i donā€™t say you should ā€œsearch and findā€ but when you ā€œstumble overā€, maybe even adding a ā€œflagā€ to the Forum, so users can Flag a Topic, as dead/outdated (And, Not included in search )

Hmmmm, wait, the last sentence ā€œmightā€ put you on overtime, these days :laughing:

The other option instead of locking and deleting is to merge them into the original post.

1 Like

I went thru the blueprint exchange a month or so ago (all the way to day 1) and moved everything that wasnā€™t a blueprint. I donā€™t have remove rights, but stuff that was clearly garbage went to uncategorized. Things that looked valid went to the folder they should have been in at the start. I continue this quest as new Blueprint Exchange and Configuration-Blueprints stuff comes, plus a few others.

4 Likes

I get such ā€œimpulseā€ aswell, from time to time, but it can easily pile up to a days work :slight_smile: , just with my own stuff !

1 Like

I guess what Iā€™m saying is Iā€™m a regular, not a Mod. Regulars could move things if they chose to to uncatagorized where the search doesnā€™t look for themā€¦

Just know that sometimes when stuff is moved the OP takes offense, that is if they notice itā€¦
They donā€™t usually notice when they ask about an automation and it gets put into the blueprint exchange (then suddenly moves to configurationā€¦), but if itā€™s current (correct or incorrect in your eyes) and gets moved to purgatory, that might not go well, so careful there. Feature Request or Configuration question has bit me once or twice with people.

When I sorted older than like 18 months and had no response to a question that they would have moved on from by now anyway went away. If there was a convo and a response, it went to where it fit. I personally didnā€™t judge if the answer was correct as I donā€™t know all the answers. I was doing an easy sortā€¦ Is this a blueprint, yes and it stays, no and it moves.

3 Likes

I am not sure we need to clean up old entries on the forum. May be after a set time we should have a warning that the solution may now be out of date and link to the docs page. this would (probably) be easier to implement.

Maybe an idea to have an archive folder (and maybe Regulars should be allowed to move) ?

I used to be able to move things/change headers when I was made regular, but that right has been revoked again?
Or is it just me?

I have the ability to change subject lines (usually used to correct spelling mistakes) and the sub-forum and the tags. I was quite surprised when that appeared.