Why is Home Assistant so crappy lately

yapp you got it -but “someone” (my child knows that guy and calls him dad) did add something like “play synthpop from 80s in the garden” to lms (you could name it voice control) and it can play also (that was another chap)
@pedro mea culpa i just started twoo days before christmas 2018 with the journey and the first time i didnt want to help others because i had to learn it first - so reading posts and fiddling around was my main goal. And i dont think its better because in the (my) early days everything that i needed was fine (exept my lack of knowledge)

I’m petro, not pedro.

And you weren’t here during the CLI days or prior to hassio. You have no idea how easy you have it.

If hassio didn’t come about, more than 50% of this community would not be here to complain in the first place. You should appreciate the ease of use that you have.

You run Home Assistant Supervised (formerly called hassio) which already includes Home Assistant Core
It’s this container -> homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.103.4 The other containers are the supervisor and DNS. The supervisor controls home assistant and the add-ons and the DNS container does some DNS things (never checked what it does and don’t use it). But I don’t know if any of these is causing the issues.

I saw that @pvizeli merged a PR that might be related to your issue https://github.com/home-assistant/audio/pull/19
I suspect the issue with your system is that some other application is using pulseaudio and then HA tries to use pulseaudio and they somehow interfere with each other.

:wink: sorry petro

do you knew the sentence “real man don’t klick” ?
I do like cli and i also like toris so i do think i am kind of a real man :wink:

oof, man, I hate CLI. That was a slog I never want to go through again, but it did help me learn linux. Which I am grateful for.

nice but…

# BCM2835
if echo "${ALSA_CARDS}" | grep -q "\[bcm2835 ALSA\]"; then
    bashio::log.info "Found BCM2835 card"

rpi only
btw: good night / good day nice to chat with you but we getting OT.
and the other OT no more selfupdating from supervisior and no more log errors.

20-04-02 20:23:01 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from http://localhost/stable.json

The price of lowering the “price of entry” is that you end up shifting the userbase from a highly technical group of enthusiasts who either have the skills needed, or are capable of and willing to learn them, to people who think the whole thing is looking easy and don’t realise that there is still a need to learn and to have or develop technical skills. Those skills include finding answers drom numerous sources, documenting their own fixes, using markdown so they can do that documentation, identifying stale info, learning not to rely on flashy but outdated yt videos, using github and knowing when and how to post an issue or when to post on the forum. How to use logs. How to post code and logs. How to describe a problem.

1 Like

HAHAHA
believe me if you able to describe a problem you already walked +50% of the Rocky path to solve it…

I’ve seen some of your posts. Tip: whining is not descriptive of a problem.

which one do you mean?
you cant mean me do you?
i fixxed everything that bugs me some with help from here most of them in my mancave.

My two sense for what it is worth. Home Assistant is far from crappy lately. The support from the user base (at least to my questions has been excellent). One of the big issues that nickrout brought up is that Home Assistant is attempting to jump to gui for almost everything. This makes new users think that it is “plug and play”. It is not there yet, but that is the plan. On planned changes somethings work without causing any issues, but sometimes an updates break things. Usually a choice had to be made by the developers to go a certain path and they needed to “break things” to get there. This is always called out in the documentation. Sometimes a release comes out with errors in the coding. Stuff happens. You will see a quick fix released to fix the errors. Usually this is well documented and the group tries to help here or in the discord channel to resolve problems caused by it.

As Home Assistant is getting easier for almost everything people aren’t taken the time to learn.
As Petro pointed out in the early years, it was cli and code to do everything. A big advantage to this was if you stuck with home assistant you developed a skill and understood what was happening with you system. I wish I would have started soon.

I have found most of my issues whether lately or in the past was improperly formated yaml files and not breaking changes. I keep reading yaml tutorials, asking question and practicing. I am slowly understanding and getting better at it.

Before blaming Home Assistant, understand what you expected it to do. Read the documents on how to do this, and if it still doesn’t work ask questions (nicely) with your properly formatted code and people will help!

Try going to any commercial manufacture like TPlink, Wemo, etc and ask them to fix something that is broke. I have and you usually get no answer or it is a WAD (working as designed) even though it is broke. Ask here and if it is truly broke, the developers will fix it.

2 Likes

Yes of course I mean you‘ @frenck please read this thx

1 Like

are you kiddin me? i believe so ;.-)
is my system up and running again? - >yapp
can i use audio on my host again? → yapp
did i use the “q&d workaround” ? → nope
was i pissed of because of the story? → triple yapp
should i stay calm? → yapp
did i fix it all on my own? ->yapp
if i was you i want to be me - go outside and play hide & seek with yourself - you must have to much time;-)
cheers and have a good time and always remember life is too short and shit happens all the time and someday we wish we never get out of the bed in the first place :wink:
keep on everything is fine and stay healthy - we all need nothing more than this.

I came in somewhere in the 0.30 builds and can fully agree with this.

What people need to realize is the entire project moves very fast and that means some breakage is going to happen as test cycles are short and limited.

But as a user you can mitigate your exposure by simply not installing point-zero releases and holding off a couple days/weeks until the triage slows down.

2 Likes

Wow is this thread still going,
Maybe just lock the thread as its really not serving any purpose to the rest of the community.

or have a new category called unhappy/entitled peeps, so that it can be taken here

9 Likes

Closing this thread as it has long served its purpose.