Why is there no way to organize automations?

I have merely a handful automations. But I totally loose overview again. I cannot imagine how “pro users” would handle their hundreds of automation in such a flat organization.

Why is there no way to group them, or put them in “folders” with multiple levels?
I’d like to have a “Test”/“Debug” folder, group everything related to Emergency/Alarm, everything related to light etc.

Or does such thing exist already and I just don’t see it?

2 Likes

No it does not exist. Most voted Month of "What the heck?!"

and Feature Requests

Although I should note that while “pro users” definitely want this too they may not want it as much as you’d think. While I’m sure there are users with hundreds of automations many users begin to learn techniques for reducing the number of automations.

Usually you can merge many similar ones together into a larger automation with multiple triggers and choose actions. And users can often reduce them even further as they get familiar with templating to reduce the amount of copying and pasting around hard-coded entity IDs and values required.

Not to say you shouldn’t vote on those two, it is certainly a valuable feature. But if you find yourself quickly building up an overwhelming amount of automations consider searching around this forum for tips on combining many smaller automations into one larger one.

1 Like

I don’t think it will help very much, if it will be an option to create folders or something like this, for sorting automations. Instead of long list of automation where you can get lost, will be a long list of folders and subfolders, to get lost in it.

I think, what I use now is ok for me, and this is the naming convention. If you will find out the right naming and will stick with it, it will be much easier to find things.

There is also search bar and filters, to find automation where fx. entity xxx is involved.

1 Like

that certainly helps. But I’m with the other posters, some way of tagging automations (and TBH other entities) would be great.

groups and areas kind of get a bit there but flexible and nested tagging across all entities would be a real benefit.

1 Like

The real value proposition for organization is to be able to programmatically act on a set of automations: things like vacation mode, etc.