Wifi temp sensors that are compatible with HASSIO?

You can buy them with 3 different ’colors’ the last color is a combo :wink:
And these are wifi sensors, I wouldn’t use them on battery, they won’t last that long.
I think there are also Zigbee temperature sensors, they should cope better on batteries, but I don’t have any experience with them :thinking:

‘Write’ is an overstatement, these are standard sensors, so better call it copy/paste

you can make your own batter with 18650s cells. also this prooves the govee unit is still king or you to live data vs 15-10 min updates BUT, a couple of the areas i need do have power, at least one does.

what copy paste can i do it blindly with no understanding what so ever?

The Govee one can communicate with HA via Bluetooth, but it can’t use WiFi

it can go over wifi the govee app and that isn’t some magic either. no one knows the API calls. save for one person reddit who claims they are using with wifi on/in home assistant with govee official API, personally think they must be speaking about the LEDs, not the temp.

as to say it could be made to work with HA, i’d even buy a few for a developer for testing and reverse engineering.

This is correct. The Govee API only supports lights and switches. It doesn’t support the thermohygrometers. I personally have a few Govee lights that work with HomeAssistant through the API. This is what that person on Reddit was talking about.

As for the Thermohygeometers, you can connect them to HomeAssistant using the passive BLE monitor integration in HACS. The only downside to this is that it requires your HA server to be Bluetooth capable and it needs to be within Bluetooth range.

If you buy a DHT22, you can use this:

esphome:
  name: esp01-ip12
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: <name-of-my-wifi-network>
  password: <password-of-my-wifi-network>

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "esp01-dht22"
    password: "fallback"

captive_portal:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  password: <my-secret-key>

ota:

# Enable logging
logger:
  baud_rate: 0

switch:
  # Switch to restart the dht22.
  - platform: restart
    name: dht Restart

# Sensors with general information.
sensor:
  - platform: dht
    pin: 2
    model: DHT22
    temperature:
      name: "Room Temperature"
      filters:
        - offset: 0.0
    humidity:
      name: "Room Room Humidity"
    update_interval: 60s
1 Like

Do not use those sensors. They are terrible. Extremely unstable because the 3.3V regulator is undersized. Also they self heat so they are largely useless for an accurate measurement of temperature or humidity.

1 Like

those? the DHT22? maybe there is industrial type or branded quality that can be used?

Maybe… I took the cheapest, and calibrated it, as long as it gives a correct value around 20.5 degs, i don’t care that much.

I also don’t use the humidity sensor ; it is there but ignored

These shellys H&T are really good. Sure on battery short intervals are impossible as it’s a wifi device. But when you swap the cover with a 5$ mini USB adapter it works very well. If you need a battery device then only Zigbee or Bluetooth devices can be considered

1 Like

I’ve got a couple of Ubibot WS1 wifi thermometers, they seem to last around 3 weeks on 2xAA batteries with a 1min reporting interval - which is not great but enough for me.

I’ve put one onto USB as it also has a 5v micro USB port. When I did it seemed to go through a recalibration processes to account for self-heating, then carried on reasonably accurately.

They have (and you must use) their free cloud storage backend though.

1 Like

what market place has them listed for sale?

In the UK I found Ubibots on Amazon.co.uk. I think they are available on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if this link will work:

dddaaayyyuummm

that purchase is going to have to wait a little while. i assume it’s plug and play?

You need to use the Ubibot app to set it up (connect to its wifi then make it connect to yours etc). Bit of a faff but not too bad.

Not really plug and play though.
Homeassistant doesn’t detect it automatically, you need to add some code to the configuration.yaml.
There are a few threads on here which I found really helpful - I’ll dig them out and share the links.

Yeah bit more expensive than some (many…) but they have been rock solid for me

There is some code halfway through this which is very similar to mine and sets up a couple of Ubibot sensors.

If you’re not sure how to add this in then let me know - I’m new to this and had to work my way through it a few months ago, with lots of help from reading this forum.

1 Like

We’ve created a learning kit Arduino-compatible purely wifi, no hubs, full setup guide and ready to go firmware downloadable with video guide on youtube (also with calibration instructions):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374223557380

1 Like

Is the kit still available somewhere? The eBay link is dead.

@aceindy
I’m just discovering ESPHome. As of Late 2023, would you still take the same hardware? I read some posts saying it’s better to use ESP32.

I’m looking for a Wifi sensor to measure temperature every 2 to 5 minutes. I don’t want to solder. I want to print small case to put it inside. I want to power it with an USB battery.

I opened a post here : Late 2023: what to choose to get a full thermal sensor?

yeah but you have to build it, flash it, and find a way to power it.

is there not away to MAKE or FORCE thee govee units to work with HA sans bluetooth?

would a $100 USD bounty get that going?