Wifi temp sensors that are compatible with HASSIO?

are there any wiffi compatible temp sensors that aren’t needing bluetooth gateways?

I tried two of the Shelly battery powered wifi temperature and humidity sensors. I found the data reporting interval to be too long between readings to be useful and the battery life to be very poor with the non mainstream disposable lithium battery.

From my experience with these and a couple of other battery powered wifi devices, my view is that doing battery powered wifi is a real art and there are very few of these ‘artists’ out there. After trying, zigbee, BLE and wifi for temperature and humidity sensors, I found bluetooth the best solutions. Low cost, long battery life, widest selection of ‘hackable’ devices, best reporting intervals.

Good hunting!

1 Like

i have found the Govee H5179001 to work beautifully i have it update ever 15 or 30 minutes or so i have never replaced the batteries that i can i remember. i only need one sensor in each building and it seems …silly… to set up a BT gateway in each building for 1 sensor which each already has wifi.

ah! they need to be “hackable” if my needs are simple enough should i consider something liek apple homekit or other smart home software? i get the feeling i can’t tie in Ring or Blue Iris with those though? let alone with scripts to do stuff liek turn on fans or pumps.

i guess a PoE pi or a pi zero with a temp probe and big old battery bank or pack of 18650s

I don’t know how compatible the Govee device you cite is with Home Assistant. This is what I mean by ‘hackable’, that you can get the sensor data into Home Assistant and do automations. Yes, I see, having a two building space that already has wifi might be a distance issue for bluetooth devices. I did state that I have tried zigbee devices, they are not bad, just I found them to be second to bluetooth devices for my single story house setup. Back to distance issue, I will say I have BLE units inside older fridge and freezer compartments and the signal goes to my raspberry pi 50 feet away just fine. Back to zigbee, while you will need a zigbee hub as well as the sensors, zigbee does allow for much wider are coverage due to its mesh network design (this is coming to BLE as well, however I have yet to find any Home Assistant ‘hackable’ products that are BLE mesh). For zigbee, you would probably need to add an intermediate ‘router’ device, Ikea sells these for USD 14, they are just a wall wart you plug in somewhere between your hub and the end device temperature sensors. Yes, all are more expensive than a wifi unit. Sounds like finding a good unit there is your best path, as long as you do not need more sensors, as I find the wifi units cost considerably more that zigbee or ble sensors units. So, before too many units the cost curve would most likely favor a zigbee or ble solutions.

Below are to example plots for two zigbee temperature sensors I have, Aqara and Sylvania, they update every couple minutes, not bad, however I prefer the ble devices that update number of times per minute for automation use.

Good hunting!

1 Like

i figured thats what you mean by hackable. i have more than 3 actually. from sheds to underground with concrete and metal. ain’t no wireless going that far except LOWWAN/LoraWAN/LPWAN, think mountain side ranch property like in the movies. each location got direct burial cat6/cat6a and wifi. its kind of hard to plug a wall wart in to well with direct wired 240v AC lol

the govee unit is supported but only the BTE side, so figured ok, i’ll just buy one that is supported so actually your information is a bit helpful to know that wifi temp sensor HASSIO market is non existing!

i’m thinking some Pis over Ethernet would be more work but, about the only option BUT, now i kind of want some for.

wow several times a minute? damn at the factory i worked we have PLCs and wires everywhere with dedicated boxes for that lol i don’t need any more than 15 minutes to know if the temp is going to dip too far for pipes or initial flooding for water sensing etc etc. at 15 and 30 min intervals wifi will sip battery power at that rate you’d be sucking batteries dry like a vampire or sega game gear. sounds like HVAC controlling at that interval. which also sounds pretty awesome.

Your place sounds like quite a challenge for ‘standard’ home automation. Either Lora or Zigbee might be good options, both are proven in ‘tougher’ environments. And yes Pi’s too, because why not :wink: we are in this for ‘fun’ right?

Well you don’t have the ‘significant other’ on the factory floor, her royal sensors are pretty fast and opinionated :wink:

Good hunting for a solid solution!

1 Like

I needed the same for long distance range. Purchased two of the USB powered Tuya WIFI Temperature & Humidity Sensors from AliExpress. Connected using TUYA integration. They work great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002496243227.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.33da4c4d5sXdDj

1 Like

with cat 6/6a and dedicated wifi every i disagree i think it is not a challenge it’s just silly there aren’t more units the govees. :stuck_out_tongue: (lol yes lots of sweat equity digging ditches for cat6)

i did more digging and found this, The best Wi-Fi temperature and humidity sensors for Home Assistant

the shelly unit uses a SUPER tiny battery no wonder you had issues using it!
the sonoff could be handy to automatically turn and off fans for the fire places!

the Tuya might come in handy n or two places even though it’s usb powered. so far the Govee H5179001 / H5179 is THE superior unit. bigger battery, no display, low interval it can go for months and months with no battery change it would seem but, close ecosystem.

i may look in to a bounty or taking one apart

@cdoublejj
If you are referring to my experience with the Shelly WiFi temperature and humidity devices, the ones I have have a IMHO pretty beefy A123 battery, I note on the Shelly website, they claim a 18 month batter life with the CR123A battery. This was not my experience, maybe newer firmware and wider query period. That said at USD 2.50 per battery, that is NOT a economically good decision IMHO!

1 Like

oh crap, i google that!!! it sounded like a little CR2030 type of cell, ok it’s comparable to the 3 triple AAs or dual AAs that go in Govee. i may try the shelly units yet. if remember you sample several times a minute vs once every 15 minutes thats what has me almost wanting to try them.

It’s an art with wifi especially. Wifi has never been designed for that kind of usage.

Look into generic 433MHz devices. There’s a ton of cheap choices available and the batteries last ages. I have a couple of Oregon Scientific THGR810’s (sadly they’re not produced anymore) and I change the batteries after like 3 or 4 years (just standard AAA’s). Thinking of it, I don’t remember if I ever changed the batteries for those since I bought them almost 5 years ago.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would recommend the Shelly devices, these specific ones, their devices in general nor their support (via Facebook groups). I’ve had better experiences with other products and companies. However, I have nothing to recommend in the WiFi space.

did the shelly still rely on shelly cloud like say how etek city still require ve sync cloud to operate the devices or is it locally integrated?

also how many devices out there locally integrate with HASSIO? let me guess only BT devices? lol

it seems like wifi devices get left out in the cold or ignored like red headed step child but, i’m still new to this. shelly offers a number of tempting devices, like flood and temp. however i don’t want to go just buy some with you saying what you just said. yeah i can deal battery life but if their products are crap…

Thought about ESPHome, f.e.dht22?

like this?: ESP8266 DHT11/DHT22 Web Server Arduino IDE | Random Nerd Tutorials

so like maybe a small 18650 powered device that can integrate with HASSIO or would i have to code my own integration?

also look what i found: https://www.reddit.com/r/smarthome/comments/nu8r4x/unreliable_shelly_products/

like this one
€ 1,04 | ESP8266 ESP-01 ESP-01S DHT11 Temperature Humidity Sensor Module ESP8266 WIFI NodeMCU Smart Home IOT DIY Kit

I’m running it from a usb charger…got plenty of them anyway.

But it does require flashing them with ESPHome, but you need a serial port to the first flash (after that it can be done OTA)

1 Like

:open_mouth: i’m want to try one of those how often do you have to recharg?

wait " does not include esp-01 / esp-01s" so i need to get that unit too?

where do you get the firmware to flash to it? hopefully you don’t have to write the code your self

Welcome to the wonderful world of ESPHome and Tasmota.
Or you could search YouTube around using those keywords.

You can buy them with 3 different ’colors’ the last color is a combo :wink:
And these are wifi sensors, I wouldn’t use them on battery, they won’t last that long.
I think there are also Zigbee temperature sensors, they should cope better on batteries, but I don’t have any experience with them :thinking:

‘Write’ is an overstatement, these are standard sensors, so better call it copy/paste

you can make your own batter with 18650s cells. also this prooves the govee unit is still king or you to live data vs 15-10 min updates BUT, a couple of the areas i need do have power, at least one does.

what copy paste can i do it blindly with no understanding what so ever?