Windows 10 can't access HASSIO through Samba

Hi,
Looking at your configuration, it assumes you connect through ethernet cable. Could it by any chance be that you are connecting through wifi?

I followed these instructions:

this worked completely for me and I was able to connect at the first attempt. I see you are not using a user and a password. Have you given that a try to see if that helps? My windows 10 gives me a popup to enter the mapping details after connecting \IP_ADDRESS and you can store the user/password.

What finally solved my Windows 10/Samba connection problem, deselect 128 bit … and select 40- 56 bit…:

2 Likes

Weird. 128 is working for me.

Same here.

Try setting password and user.
Your samba config looks different from mine though…

{
“workgroup”: “WORKGROUP”,
“username”: “user”,
“password”: “password”,
“interface”: “eth0”,
“allow_hosts”: [
“10.0.0.0/8”,
“172.16.0.0/12”,
“192.168.0.0/16”
]
}

It’s funny… my computer screwed the pooch and I put a new HDD in and setup Win10 from scratch… not I can’t access unless I use the IP address (for samba). I can in web browser do http://hassio:8123 or http://hassio.local:8123 but only the IP address for samba.

In my case the solution was to modify the config to allow all hosts. The issue is that Windows 10 will try to use ipv6 aggressively. And of-course the default ipv4 allow list will not let it go through. In my case the symptoms were that the network tab contained the HASSIO but when connecting I got an error.

2 Likes

I can access HASSIo (and also the host outside HASSIO) from windows 10 file explorer. What I cannot do is modify files from Windows, while I can modify them if I use WInscp or SSH with terminal. The username used in both cases is the same, I put also the same username/password as samba user.

Any clue?

Thanks @Illes_Eszterhas, this was the solution for me.

For a fresh Win10 + HASSIO install I did: enable SMB1 and allow all hosts.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint @Illes_Eszterhas !
I did not notice that Windows 10 started to resolve the hostname of my ubuntu server to its ipv6 address after the update to 1809.
I had the allow host setting set to the ipv4 range and was therefore denied access since the windows update. The Samba log showed this as well.

Solution? Disable ipv6 in ubuntu or remove the allow host samba setting. Disabling ipv6 in windows 10 does not seem to be a good idea. Apparently, at least edge and store apps demand it.

My problem was IPV6 too. You can see it in the log of Samba:

Connection denied from ipv6:2a02:1206:456d:9600:792b:d9ef:646:d894:50935 to ipv6:2a02:1206:456d:9600:a58d:3f63:43e:4282:445

Add one of the folders to the end eg:

\[hassio-ip]\config
\[hassio-ip]\addons
\[hassio-ip]\share
\[hassio-ip]\backup

It’s not ideal having to map each folder individually but it’s the only way that I can get it to work.

3 Likes

Has anyone got an example of a config to allow all? Or do you just remove the whitelist and it will just assume the connection is allowed?

One of my Win10 PCs can’t access it, but my laptop is fine. I believe its because the PC is a much newer install despite it’s IP being on the whitelist (a month or two old install vs a year or two on the laptop).

Good lord, what a pain in the ass that was. In case it helps anyone - the problem for me was finally unsupported characters in my password. Dumbed it down a little and voila! I’m in.

Thanks, got me up and running. Interface was set to null and worked just fine for a week, today it just decided it didn’t want to play anymore. Changed to wlan0 and boom, back in the game.

i was having issue - so I looked up and verified my Win 10 version - it is version 1903. so that means it’s after the point where Microsoft stopped HomeGroup. so i followed this to just enable SMB1 like @farlock85 noted earlier in this thread. This worked perfectly for me.

https://winaero.com/blog/enable-smb1-sharig-protocol-windows-10/

5 Likes

Bookmarked for later! Thanks!

Worked for me, finally! Great advice, thank you.

1 Like

same for me. couldn’t find it automaticly under network like in this guide, but adding as network volume was fine.

I have the same issue on Mac. It worked perfectly since weeks and month but after update to 0.102 I have no access any more. Is there a chance to do the same setting than you did with Win10?