Windows 10 can't access HASSIO through Samba

I’m not sure on Mac. But there must be something equivalent to Windows for getting SMB working for network sharing. This url might be helpful for you - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

I’m noticing in latest update to 0.102.2 for me that the HASSIO with Samba isn’t coming up in my Windows Network anymore. But when I open Windows Explorer and manually type in \HASSIO\config then it correctly allows me to access. I’ll need to explore more why this is the case. It may not even be associated with 0.102.2, but right after i upgraded, i noticed it.

1 Like

Home Assistant version doesn’t have anything to do with Samba, since they aren’t related.

Thanks for the tip! I added “*” to my allowed hosts, and finally… finally it showed up in windows “network”

"allow_hosts": [
    "*"
  ],
2 Likes

I have the same Problem because all ideos not working

![Hassio2|690x388]
Any ideas?

Got a laptop and desktop running Windows 10 - enabled SMB1 in optional features; laptop gets the folder but desktop PC doesn’t.

Get asked for username and password on the desktop but when I login it accepts it but the view is just blank. Both laptop and desktop on same IP range etc. Any ideas anyone?

Hello, I also had problems, yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my PC. I was able to access the folders in HASSIO, I entered the IP address of my RPi on the HA in the Explorer and it worked !!
Here’s an example…

\\192.168.178.100\

then enter the username and password and you’re done.

There are often problems, I read yesterday, but maybe it will work for you too …

1 Like

Was already trying with the IP address and no luck, unfortunately.

@nwetp… Not sure if you got this working but based on the recommendation from @VolkerKa I too tried this at first but was unable to resolve. To me what wasn’t clear was what to enter into the login name and password as the login name was often pre-populated. I chose other and entered the HA - Samba name such as “hassio” and then the HA - Samba password. I was originally trying to use my HA - login name and NOT the Samba login credentials. I now have it working on two windows 10 laptops.

Ultimately through a combination of many suggestions in this series I was able to gain access. Hope you do too.

@Phill_Healey… thank you as this was helpful which allowed access to those folders.

1 Like

Thanks to all the commentator’s and your excellent recommendations which was ultimately what schooled me in how to access both a HASSIO- RPI3 and HASSIO- RPI4 setup via windows 10. I was able to configure two Windows 10 laptops. One a personal laptop and other a corporate professional laptop without getting my IT dept. involved.

Best!

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I had my first micro SD card crash on me, I am at almost over a year for that one. Anyway, I got a fresh install of hassio and was trying to get samba up so I can restore my snapshot. I just couldn’t get it to work! the logs said it was connecting and everything… then I read your comment and tried it and yelled out loud YES!
Thank you so much, this made my night

Thanks, that worked for me!

Hi all having the same issue, looks like the ‘allow all hosts’ option should work, can anyone share an example snippet of how this should look in my config file?

The one pasted earlier in this thread appears to be from an older version as config format has changed…

Is there any way to use a username such as: “[email protected]”? If I try to use an @ symbol, the samba service wont started; giving an error about illegal character. All my Windows 10 PC’s user my Microsoft account username, which is my email address.
I tried to put my password in quotes; but, that didn’t work. For now, I’m just using a username, without the character in my username.

The solution to most peoples problems with SAMBA shares not showing would be cured if Homeassistant supported WSDD. This could be enabled by running this simple python script in the SAMBA docker container:
WSDD Github Python Script
It ‘Just Works’ and requires no configuring (I use it on my main Ubuntu Server).
Alex

Thanks… as of 5/3/2020… Installed new HA instance…Samba worked for a day. and then stopped…I couldn’t remember how to sign in… BIG thanks

Hi, guys, I’m new to home assistant. I’ve watched loads of videos on youtube about it and thought I’ll try it myself. Everything was fine until I stuck with samba add-on. I cant sort the config file for it at all, after installation of add-on I need to edit config only username and pass I can’t save it. What I’m doing wrong?

I’ve tried loads of config versions from the forum (copy/paste) but none of them works.
Thanks in advance.
Nerijus