Wink Hub 2 Help

Oh trust me I understand, that is the reason I switched from Wink. I had a week of Wink issues (sensors wouldn’t trigger) and the Wife was getting tired of it. Things have been much better with the HUSBZB-1 but fixing the offline/toggled from the light switch issues would make everything perfect. The Wife likes to use the light switch sometimes to toggle the lights (normally when something isn’t working) which then messes with everything.

LOL

I have one of those wife’s too !! I try to get her to use one of my 2 Google Home Mini’s as it is way more reliable when controlling our Wink lights. I really wish Wink could figure out what causes the awful delay with the Android App !!. She also get’s frustrated which is why I started looking at HA. I want to make sure it works 100% before I try and get the WAF !!

Have either of you considered using z-wave wall switches? I successfully converted 3 wall switches to z-wave and can control by switch, HA, or voice. Pretty happy with it. Only reason I have not tried to convert more is costs versus already owning so many zigbee bulbs.

I’ll probably switch more over as bulbs burn out but these Cree bulbs have been great so far.

Oh yeah definitely a better solution. I have 4 I think and they are much better than ZigBee but like you said cost of a $45 switch verses already owning the lights is a but rough. It may be time to transition though.

I am in the same boat. I have 29 zigbee lights which I am very happy with. It is just the Wink Hub that sometimes frustrates meA good portion of them are in lamps so wall switches wouldn’t really work. For the cost I may just get a Conbee adapter, I have 6 brand new Zigbee bulbs that I can play around with. Home Depot here in Canada are selling the Ecosmart Connect bulbs for as low as $2.25 a bulb. I picked up a ton in the last few weeks lol. Even if I use them as standard LED’s at that price they are still cheap

Hi There,

I know this is an older thread that you helped with. I decided last night to try installing Home Assistant on an old dual core AMD PC I had laying around. I first installed the latest version of Linux MInt then followed a youtube tutorial to install Home Assistant Everything worked and I know have a working HA, it installed Lovelace by default. I could not for the life of me figure out how to add my Wink. It was getting really late and I had an early flight to catch.I’d like to utilize this old PC and would like some help getting my Wink Hub setup in Lovelace.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Richard

I think the issue is, in lovelace the configurator ui doesn’t show up by default. You can add it via the UI editor or go to the little i icon in the side panel and click on the show states UI which the configurator should be present on.

Thanks for the reply,

Just so I am understanding once I load the configurator UI I just add Wink:

Sorry, no. Once you and wink: to your config you should see the configurator in the frontend states UI or you can add it to your lovelace config. Then it will prompt for client ID and client secret.

Thank you for help,

I was able to get everything working. I love the new interface of Lovelace. Creating different cards/Tabs was super easy.

Do you still find a delay in the lights activating when using Home Assistant. Sometimes when I activate a light the toggle will turn on then off then back on again. I assume this is because the commands are still going through the Wink cloud.

I would like to try a Zigbee/Zeewave adapter and bypass my Wink Hub all together unless that is there is a way to make the control more snappy

Enabling local control may make things a little quicker, but there is no way around the delay. Using a zwave/zigbee adapter would make things quicker for sure.

Thank you ,

That’s what I figured. I am confident that I can now setup HA with my smart bulbs. It’s pretty cool what you can do. I know I am just scratching the surface lol

One last question I promise lol

How do I force my Wink Hub 2 into local control? I’d be interested in trying that

Thank you again for all your help

Just add the local_control flag to your wink config and set it to true

I only see a .wink conf, it is a hidden file. Is that the one?

No, did you not add wink to your configuration.yaml? If not probably setup using discovery. Just add the following to your config.

wink:
  local_control: true

I did as you suggested but got the following config error:

Component not found: Wink

Did you use a capital W? Needs to be lower case.

Thank you that did the trick and boy the lights react instantly. It is night & day different from what I had before when I was going through the Wink cloud. I can still get access remotely as I have a Pi VPN to connect to my local network when away from home