[WIP] Smart dehumidifier

Thanks for getting to trouble to answer me!!!

I have put dehumidifier from tuya cloud and the only i see on dashboard is this
Capture

I want something like this

Dont need the code to do it?

1 Like

For the dashboard, you need:

1. Add the dehumidifier using localtuya instead of Tuya cloud (as mentioned in my previous post). With Tuya Cloud, you probably can have just on/off, which is simply not enough for such dashboard.
  2. Add some dashboard. You can either create your own (maybe just add entities created in the previous step) or use the code from my dashboard (and adapt it to your needs).
  3. Some parts of my dashboard need some automations or sensors defined in the additional files. Maybe you will want to remove/adjust the parts of the dashboard, maybe you will want to add the automations/sensors.

Question, do you have the listing for what each property is for the Honeywell you linked? Ive got the same one and just ran into this post and now have a hankering to try it.

I have unpacked apk of G21 and apart from tuya there are even paho-mqtt references, so that might be a way too? Can the rohnson be found found with mosquito?

rohnson looks like G21 just made with different colors, probably Smart Dehumidifier | Dehumidifier | Tuya Expo .

@v6ak Overall does the Rohnson work OK for you?

BTW with the DPS from iot.tuya you could adapt it to be fully local if you wish too, example GitHub - evlo/ESPhome-Termofol_TF-750W-klarstein_heater: ESPhome-Termofol_TF-750W,klarstein_heater
Update: I see you ended up with Tuya Local that is quite similar approach, but still keeps tuya firmware on the device, esphome way gets rid of tuya apart from the datapoints mcu - in this and most cases - sometimes manufacturers use gpio directly, so after that no tuya :slight_smile:

Those are not sold in czechia, othewise I would much rather get ODM midea then tuya one
Dunno if some other brand sold in CZ/PL is Actually Midea/Gree.

It works mostly well with my Rohnson dehumidifier (with unmodified firmware):

a. Cloud Tuya – I don’t remember any issue, but it was quite limited, plus I prefer a cloudless solution.

b. Local Tuya (in a VLAN without Internet) – works mostly well, except:

• After initial setup, it needed a restart
  • There are rare and short outages. Not sure why, but it isn’t an actual issue for me. Even if this happened when my automation would turn it on, the automation can do it as soon as it is on-line again (as long as the reason for turning on still holds). Also, if there was a serious outage resulting in too high humidity, I would also get a notification.
  • When the dehumidifier is offline during the HA boot, it keeps being unavailable, even if the dehumidifier gets online. This could be worked around by reloading of the localtuya, but it is too rare, so I don’t care much.

c. Both at the same time (in a Internet-enabled VLAN) – IIRC, it worked well, but it had no perceived advantage over local-only solution.

I meant dehumidifiwr itself not the Smart stuff :slight_smile:

Aha. I think R-9920 is useable, with some drawbacks:

• It beeps not only when controlled by the buttons, but also when controlled remotely. I was tempted to open it and remove the speaker.
  • When arrived, I felt like it was quite loud, but it seems to be better now. Unfortunately, I don’t have a measurement, so I can’t tell you if it got more silent or if I got used to it. Note that loudness is quite common objection in the reviews.
  • The measured temperature seems to be somewhat higher than room temperature, especially when running.
  • When it operates under something like 24°C (measured by the dehumidifier itself; approximately 21°C or 22°C in the room), it needs to periodically get rid of ice/snow in order to keep it efficient and prevent damage. This is probably not that much different from others, but I think it could run more often. I have some automation that can boost the heater near the dehumidifier when the dehumidifier temperature is too low.
  • It doesn’t tell you whether the tank is missing or full. I don’t think it is a major drawback, just it is a bit weird to have a single field for both.

Note that it seem that R-9920 is currently unavailable, and I am not sure about availability of the other Rohnson dehumidifiers with Wi-Fi.

well the full/missing tank is issue with even midea ones,
unavailability does not really matter as in our country they sell “same” ODM ones as “G21”/penta brand. (probably other brands too)

I’m more concerned about real power consumption and mainly performance, I bought lidl “10l/24h” r290 based one and it is just not powerful enough for my use case. So I’m quite wondering whether to risk this one as I do not have best experience with tuya ODM devices (ie. the bathroom heater is sold as 750w, but in reality it is 600w, if that, etc.)

Did you measure power consumption?
I think that is the main thing as r290 compressor would be pretty much same in any brand and hot/cold side will not make much difference. At least I hope so.

De-icing will be same for all dehumidifier base on the heat pump design (or whatever is the correct term for this type). As far as I understand it deicing phase is peak dehumidification :slight_smile:

I’m more concerned about real power consumption

Well, there are paper specifications of my dehumidifier:

Rated Input Power: 320W (27°C 60%)
Max Input Power: 420W (32°C 90%)
Rated input Current: 1.48A (27°C 60%)
Max Input Current: 1.91A (32°C 90%)

According to my measurements (October?), the dehumidifier seems to consume almost constantly 250W when running (not counting ice removal and UV mode) and close to zero when not running. I am not sure what the temperature was and if it really affects the power consumption.

and mainly performance, I bought lidl “10l/24h”

Well, this is more complex. I am not sure about your area you want to dehumidify. However, the “10l/24h” rating might be confusing without some further context. My dehumidifier is rated as “20L/day (30°C 80%)”, emphasis is mine. Having 30°C might be common in summer, but 80% humidity is probably not a typical condition. When you have a serious water-related incident (e.g., broken pipe), you might get close to this value. Fortunately, I don’t have this experience. My experience is, IIRC:

• In April 2022, I was able to make the water tank (6.5L) full in about four days when trying to do so (e.g., drying clothes etc.)
  • In last summer, I was able to make the water tank (6.5L) full in about 24h by having windows open after a rain.
  • In winter, I don’t need the dehumidifier as much, as I can usually just open windows for short time instead.

You probably see that the temperature can matter much. Does this mean that the dehumidifier is less efficient in lower temperatures (even without issues with ice/show)? It depends. If you measure the efficiency by the volume of the water you extract from the air, then yes, it is less efficient. However, if you measure the efficiency by speed of decreasing the relative humidity, it might have similar efficiency until you hit the need for strong deicing.

Why? Look at Absolute Humidity Calculator . If you have 80% humidity at 30°C, you have 24.284 g of water / m³ of air. However, at just 20°C and 80% humidity, you have just 13.832 g of water / m³ of air. If you want to decrease the relative humidity to 60%, you will get more water (almost twice as much) per m³ in the 30°C case than in the 20°C case.

De-icing will be same for all dehumidifier base on the heat pump design (or whatever is the correct term for this type).

I only partially agree. The de-icing phase might be very similar, but the dehumidifier maybe should have used it more often when the air temperature is low.

As far as I understand it deicing phase is peak dehumidification :slight_smile:

Well, not always. When the temperature is above some threshold (probably 24°C; I am too lazy to look into the manual), it doesn’t need to remove ice, as no ice is created. However, when the temperature is too low, the dehumidification process might make an ice as a side effect, because it cools the air down and then heats it up.

250w seems about right, lidl one is marketed as 245w, but in reality it is only 140w

So far it seem that tuya devices are always rated 100w more

But well, looking at R9920 it was different type then Odvlhčovač vzduchu R-9630 Ionic + Air Purifier - Rohnson that looks to me pretty much same as
Odvlhčovač G21 Impact 40, kapacita 40l/24h, WiFi | G21 Vitality
Odvlhčovač G21 Impact 30, kapacita 30l/24h, WiFi | G21 Vitality
so probably different odm using tuya

these both are 30l/24h, one 600w, other 450w

well in the in seems best would be just get machine with largest dimensions :slight_smile:

As I’m still not convinced that there is any real EFFECIENCY difference between r290 based machines, but I was wrong before. And there does not seem to be any real brand name in the sub 7000 czk range anyway.

According to my observation of multiple devices, it looks like manufacturers generally put rather larger numbers for their input power rating. Maybe there are some significant punishments for underrating this, so manufacturers stay on the safe side.

Note that your linked Rohnson has 30L/24h at 32°C (mine has 20L/24h at 30°C; both are at 80% RH), so the numbers aren’t directly comparable.

Also note that the Impact 40 is rated as 40L/24h (temperature and relative humidity unknown).

I do not have any efficiency comparison, but in theory, there are multiple ways to affect the efficiency, even if all the compared devices use r290:

a. Heatsink efficiency
b. Fan efficiency
c. For lower temperatures: Deicing efficiency – how often it runs (see my previous post)

I also don’t think there is a smart dehumidifier under 7 000 CZK (barring discounts and tiny dehumidifiers). My Rohnson (bought last Spring) was one of the cheapest smart options. It was under 7 000 CZK only due to some discounts.

Also, I now see you have asked about MQTT/Mosquitto. I don’t think it was present there. And I am pretty sure it isn’t present at the moment, as I have configured it to require authentication. But IIRC, the client app also had some MQTT-related classes. Maybe it is used internally, but it probably doesn’t autoconnect just any MQTT server on the network. And maybe there is some dead code needed by some other Tuya devices.

Using the Smart life app to get my local id and using local tuya. without connecting to the cloud.
Using a Elechomes UC5501W smart humidifier.
Mapped the settings from the app.
Tuya has some wonky upper and lower case strings so you’ll have to play with your settings and see what works.

Settings:

1 power *works

10 temp / °F / temperature / sensor *works

14 current humidity / %rh / humidity / sensor *works

20 timer countdown / duration / sensor “this is still hinky and doesn’t work for sometimes!?!?” *Meh

101 target humidity / humidity /select / Cancel;30%;35%;40%;45%;50%;55%;60%;65%;70%;75%;80%;85%;90% *works

23 Mist level / select / level 1;level 2;level 3 *works

104 heat level / select / level 1;level 2;level 3 *works

103 Mode / select / Normal;Screen-off;sleep *works

22 no tank or no water / binary sensor *works

19 timer setting / select / Cancel;1 hour;2hours;3 hours;4 hours;5 hours;6 hours *works

Hope this helps someone

Hi,
I am using local tuya with Rohson dehumidifier, all works well but I can see repeating message in the the log:

This error originated from a custom integration.

Logger: custom_components.localtuya.number
Source: custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py:150
Integration: LocalTuya (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 7:25:55 AM (307 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:46:33 PM

[567...524] Entity number.odvlhcovac_target_humidity is requesting unknown DPS index 4

Anyone knows what it is and how to get rid of it?
Thanks!

What did you use as template when adding it via LocalTuya (platform type) ? Binary sensor, climate, sensor, switch etc.

1 Like

I’ve added multiple entities for a single dehumidifier. Sine are switches (e.g. UV mode, sleep node, switch that turns dehumidifier on/off, …), some are binary sensors (e.g., deicing), some are non-binary sensors (temperature, humidity, …). You’ll probably use most of the types. You probably won’t need climate entity there.

I’ve just integrated my Fersk Torr device with local tuya.
I shared instructions on my github - maybe it will help someone.

Feel free to check it:

1 Like

I have a honeywell dehumidifier, and I’m running into the same exact issue. Trying to set the desired humidity via home assistant makes the dehumidifier go to Constantly On mode ( CO ).
Did you have any luck resolving this? It isn’t a huge deal as I never really change the humidity, but it would be nice to have the option.

Cheers.

I personally use a Frigidaire unit that I found used less than 1W idling, so I decided against adding a disconnect/smart switch. Letting it auto on/off has worked well, and the dozen Accurate sensors around the house on RTL433 handle my climate monitoring.

hi guys
been trying this with my inventor EP3-WiFi20L
Ive got on/off working with a switch entity, same for ioniser on/off
ive also got sensor for current humidity and temp working.

im having a problem with fan speed and fan mode though.
Ive set them both up as select entities which is fine but the state of the entity does not change when a selection is made… however the entities have an attribute raw_state which does change when i make a choice in the smartlife app but does not change when i make a choice in the select card in hass.
the entities are showing a state of unknown but as i said the attribute does change
any ideas?
thanks