With 2022.7.0 my NEST integration fails

See the troubleshooting instructions which has details on the “Can’t link” error: Nest - Home Assistant

Yes, it is accessible via the UI: Application Credentials - Home Assistant

We definitely we don’t want to recommend people delete the storage files as it can impact other integrations!

As for your great suggestions:

1. Agreed, not working as intended, that should never happen. But I need more detail, Maybe having details from browser Developer console network tabs an help us figure out whats going? e.g. maybe an error payload in a browser response. on or turning up debug logging following the integration setup? Can we file a real github issue and fill out the template which asks for more details?

2. I sent a fix last week to prompt on deletion https://github.com/home-assistant/frontend/pull/13159 – there are valid use cases for preserving them, but the main point is providing more transparency and control.

Thanks, TIL you can manage application credentials separately from integrations :slight_smile:

No errors were returned in the developers console / network console, though I wish I add captured the actual request and response. I’m hesitant to risk breaking a working integration to capture debugging info, but I’ll consider it.

Yes, the app credentials are new in 2022.6 so expected that you haven’t heard about it yet.

I’m having a little trouble understanding your case compared to the previous report. In the previous case, they cleared out the credentials then saw the blank error message. In your case, i just see the can’t link error which is resolved by clearing credentials. Did you also see the blank error dialog? and when?

1 Like

Yes I saw the blank dialog too. There’s a little more context in Nest integration presents blank dialog . Sorry, it was quite a long process of debugging and I encountered various errors.

As I recall, at some point I got the “can’t link” error. I discovered stored credentials in configuration.yaml and secrets.yaml and wiped those. Then I started getting the blank dialog box. Then trying again a day later (without changing anything on my end) it went back to the “can’t link” error. Finally clearing the stored application credentials fixed it.

Got it. Next person that hits this, file a github issue and we’ll talk there. It’s a bug, so it should be sent to developers so we can save the community from diagnosing.

1 Like

@firsbe Can you make Nest - Home Assistant part of the solution here since it has all the correct steps listed?

Also we now have Finally! A WORKING NEST Integration with Home Assistant using Oauth! - YouTube for folks who are setting up from scratch.

Hi @allenporter
Well I caught the post, even though it’s @fribse :laughing:
Do you want me to try and update the docs, or post the steps in this thread?

Reall. Kudos here!!

I have looked for so long for this answer. I have had Nest Doorbel integration working, then Google changed their security I I kept messing around. Dozens of times redid all on Google Cloud. No sigar.

Till I found this post… so for those who had it working, but fail when reconfiguring:

!!! Remove the Application Credentials in the right top for Nest on the Integrations page !!!

Now Google can connect my account to HA and Nest is working. Finally. Thx!