type: google_home
    listen_port: 80
    target_ip: 192.168.1.91
    exposed_domains:
      - switch
      - script
      - light

Hi @anon35356645

After using Echos for so many months, I am tempted to give Google Home a try. Home seems far superior than Alexa. Since you are using both Home and Alexa, may seek your opinion first before I plunge into Home? Top priority for me is integration with HA. With this custom component, I am able to control any switches, lights, etc… with Alexa. Can I have the same with Google Home? Does Home limit the total number of devices? Do you like Home more or Alexa more? Appreciate it if you can share with me your experience. I have invested a lot in Alexa but I feel Home is getting far better than Alexa. I really hope Alexa can buck up soon and provide what Home is capable of such as custom commands and seamless multi-users switching using voice recognition. thanks in advance.

YEs. I use multiple emulated_hue component. Without I do not know if you would have the 49 devices limit. With I have no problem (well sometimes it forgets and you have to discover again)

Pro Alexa

• microphone Alexa is better. Google Home is ok though
  • I prefer to say ALEXA rather then Ok Google or Hey Google, it feels more natural

Pro Home

• Great integration with chromecast
  • way better at understanding and answering

YOu may want to try the GH mini at 50,

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. i’m sorry, do you mean you are not sure if you can add more than 49 devices in Google Home?

Do you know when will it launch?

because I never tried the standard component but always used the multiple emulated_hue custom_component (which works well with 100+devices)

no, but I think very soon. More are coming

so, it’s not a problem to add more than 100 devices into google home using this custom component?

correct.

Another PRo of the Alexa Echo dot, which has bad audio, but the Google Home I feel is inferior: I mean both are bad, but echo dot little less bad.

So maybe I recommend to get the Sony or the Panasonic when they come out, I am sure they will have better audio

that’s great. i always thought it would be a problem to add more than 49 devices in google home because it can only use 1 listen_port which is 80.

Are you sure Dot sounds better than Home? I have Dots and I think it doesn’t sound great without external speakers.

I don’t like both sounds

Isn’t the 49 limit something to do with Hue not Alexa or HA?

1 Like

I prefer to say Alexa because, despite being a Google fanboy, saying Hey/OK Google makes me feel stupid! When I use it one my phone I always press the button and then talk to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

to recap: overall I think the Google Home is superior, but if you use it mainly for sound you are better off (now) with an Echo Dot using the AUX-OUT connected to external speakers.

Or wait those Google Assistant enabled speakers, I am sure there will be some with very good audio, at that point I think the choice is for sure for the Google environment.

Integration with HASS I think is the same.

Pro Alexa:

• it answers OK (Google answers “I turned off 6 lights in the living room”, after a while is annoying)
  • Alexa wake word is better (I do not like Ok Google

Missing in both:

• customizing the device in the room: i.e. “turn off the light” without saying the room name and switvching off the appropriate device room by room

Both now have all the skills (Netatmo, Hue, Yeelight, Sonoff, etc…)
Both work same with emulated_hue (above 49 devices you should use the multiple emulated_hue)

yes, but this custom component for emulated hue is a work around this limitation. but i’m not sure how it works for google home since according to the documentation, google home can use only one port which is port 80. since @anon35356645 confirms it can, then I believe him.

Actually, I prefer to say other name. Not Alexa or OK Google. I really hope they will allow user to personalize the wake word in near future.

I think I will wait for the Google Home Mini. I suppose it also has AUX out port like Dot.

I worry the features of Google Assistant enabled speakers are not the same or complete as the official Home just like how Alexa enabled speakers are.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience. Now I have better picture of what to expect on Home.

or:

1 Like

will see.

But I think they shopuld be the same: Google gains from data flowing to their servers: a Google Home or a compatible the data will nevertheless go to Google servers, so I think will be the same functionality

The shield TV got today Google Assistant.

It’s the best piece of hardware I got since long time, and now is also a Google assistant device

1 Like

nice to know that. but the price is :hushed:

anyway, i own a Mi Box 3. It is also an Android TV box. It’s only $70. I hope Google Assistant will come to this as well.

Anyway, I saw the new Echo devices announced today. Honestly, I am tempted to stay with Echo after seeing all the new devices especially the Echo Spot :heart_eyes:

You will love the shield tv