Working on multiple emulated_hue instances

Think i have read and tried every thread on this and i just can’t get it to work, its killin me

Yes at your echo. Do it for both (same echo is ok)

Do not touch that conf file, I never ever touched it

What you get here?

http://HA IP Address:8301/api/pi/lights

Put IP of hass and one time 8300 and other time 8301

Configure button? Virtual button? Two conf file?

No no and no

Alright, thank you. I was just thinking out loud, i didn’t edit it. I actually started a fresh install and been slowly adding everything back in. really sucks, but i wanted to clean stuff up so heres my “opportunity”.

I have most of my things back in the config file but haven’t started creating all the all files i.e… automations, scripts, input_…yaml

emulated hue was one of the first things i added. I haven’t added the additional files yet and am only using one instance of the emulated hue right now, defiantly going to need more soon though, Is there a certain order I should add things…I haven’t configured my real hue yet either, should I add that now or the additional files and see if i can get the multiple emulated hues up?

currently i have just the myq exposed and it works fine…im scared to add my real hue or those files haha

I think is more easy.

1. Add the files of this repository in custom_comppnents
  2. Modify configuration.yaml
  3. Reboot pi3
  4. Check if the 2 http:// commands in your browser are giving correct information

If all ok, forget devices in Alexa app and discover devices again

When you delete the emulated_hue folder under custom_components (and modify configuration.yaml) you revert back to a regular HASS installation, easily

Well I had it working great with the 1 hue. I added a few domains and controlled what was exposed and alexa was spot on. Once I cloned the repo rebooted and split the domains I had just tested with between two hue instances I can’t discover anything anymore. I get the error in my log file about hue1 being an invalid config.

I am not home, can’t check. You put all files under custom_components/emulated_hue ?

I’m wondering if this would help with an issue I have using harmony with emulated_hue. Unlike the Alexa app, the harmony one doesn’t have a forget option for each ‘light’ and then the hardware remote has a very unhelpful onscreen ‘all off’ button which you have to press in just the right way to get access to the devices under it. If it sends the ‘all off’ signal the whole system goes into melt down as it rapidly turns on and off all the activities I’ve added so Alexa can control them.

My current solution is to temporarily delete the ‘lights’ I don’t want it to see, run a discover with harmony and then put them back and discover again in Alexa.

Do you think it would work if I split them up using ‘target_ip’ and ‘emulated_hue_instance’ for the ones I only want Alexa to see? Harmony would then only see the ones I want it to see and Alexa should see everything… does that sound right?

After putting custom_component and changes in configuration check that you receive correct values

I don’t know. What works for me is my code above. Then I emulated_hue: false each entity_id i don’t want to expose.

Like this is rock solid. It takes a bit at beginning (maybe 10 minutes?) and then you are all set

Hmm…gave it a go with this config…

emulated_hue:
  hue1:
    type: alexa
    listen_port: 8301
    target_ip: XXX.XXX.X.XXX
    expose_by_default: false
  hue2:
    type: alexa
    listen_port: 8300

…and devices I only want Alexa to see have “emulated_hue_instance: hue1” added to them in customize.yaml

:8301/api/pi/lights shows both the ones flagged with ‘hue1’ and the unflagged ones and :8300/api/pi/lights shows only the unflagged ones…so far, so good.

Rediscovering in Alexa brings in every ‘light’ but doing the same with Harmony finds the hue bridge but gets stuck at the press the button stage, have had to wait a minute or so to get past that previously but now it’s just not doing it

So, in principle it works perfectly, in practice I’m a bit stuck :frowning:

Yay, rebooted the Harmony hub and it connected straight away :sunny: can now add and remove ‘lights’ from either device easily.

I simplified the config to…

emulated_hue:
  hue1:
    listen_port: 8301
    target_ip: xxx.xxx.x.xxx
  hue2:
    listen_port: 8300

This is in hass.io by the way as I remember you querying whether it still worked in it or not in another thread.

1 Like

is this still working?

Today in Alexa app I only see Hue lights, nothing else, although this
192.168.1.238:8301/api/pi/lights
shows all data (switches, scripts and so on)

Just checked and Alexa had lost track of them all, did a forget and discover and it picked them all back up again properly.

Had a few power cuts in the last couple of days which may have upset it but all good now.

Discover with app or with your voice?

I tried now and no… not working

I just did it again with the app as I always have and it’s working perfectly still, same with my Harmony Hub.

Anyone know if it’s possible to add more than one ‘hue’ under ‘emulated_hue_instance:’?

I’m using it successfully to expose devices to one specific ‘hue’ but have a couple of devices that I’d like to expose to two.

Have tried a few of what seem like logical options but no luck so far.