Works with Nest program going away Aug 31, 2019

They still don’t have a local API :confused:

The closest they have is homekit support, but if you don’t use Apple crap at home you are still forced to rely on their cloud which (if you look at their status page) has had an outage of some kind pretty much every day for months now.

If they were to come out and actually commit to a true local API, I would highly recommend their product. Until then though, it’s still cloud based so YMMV.

I should also note, their support staff on Reddit have said they have no plans for any API other than homekit, so it’s not a great outlook.

1 Like

Zwave

Most wifi products require hub based ecosystem and hopes of manufacturer provided API

These products will start out open then slowly trap you into using only their products, apps, ecosystem because they require this control to make money. This is OK but not great when their expectation is 2-3yr support and you require for home that need 15+ yrs support or flexibility to meet your need to general market need.

Sorry for rant but this is reality. Avoid these products. I make exception for items under approx $40 (like Chromecast, echo or Ghome hub) since these are kinda low cost fad product

We had Ecobee for a hot minute, well about 3 months, we had Nest before and after. Siri didn’t work well back then so HomeKit support wasn’t advantageous. Maybe we’ll try it again, I’m primarily using Home Assistant to bridge non-HomeKit items to work in the Home app.

From Lutron:

May 8, 2019

The following announcement is a change in service notification.

Yesterday, Google announced the elimination of its Works with Nest Program, effective August 31, 2019. As a result, Lutron system integration with Nest products will be impacted, making some or all integration features inaccessible starting August 31, 2019.

Read the official Google announcement and more details from Google here http://business.lutron.info/e/119222/whats-happening/48sngn/941548991?h=LzPa1RrGjLoBbkLgqqIiJh5vqePJBVOaehBwkdrv53Y .

As a member of the Works with Nest program, Lutron has offered Caséta by Lutron, RA2 Select, RadioRA 2, and HomeWorks QS customers a variety of integrated Nest features including thermostat control from the Lutron and Connect apps. Though Nest product integration will be impacted, Lutron systems will continue to be controlled by the Google Assistant through voice, the Google Home and Google Assistant apps, and through Home View on Google-enabled smart displays.

Lutron and Google will continue working together as part of the Works with Google Assistant program, which is designed to provide customers a single smart home product control experience. As Google winds down the Works with Nest Program, Lutron will distribute integration updates and continue to provide the best Lutron experience for your home.

You can find more information from Lutron here http://business.lutron.info/e/119222/nestupdate/48sngq/941548991?h=LzPa1RrGjLoBbkLgqqIiJh5vqePJBVOaehBwkdrv53Y .

Thank you for your patience,

The Lutron Team

FROM REDDIT LINK

OP, thanks for sharing. I ran the image thru OCR, to get the text, to save everyone a click.

I’m following up on the email you sent to Rishi Chandra last week regarding the turn down of Works with Nest and your concerns.

We share your concerns and are working with our partners, like Samsung, to make sure we can maintain as many of your existing connections as possible. Some of the other integrations, such as with Lutron, may be able to be replicated with Google Assistant Routines, and we have been working with that team to replicate much of the Works with Nest capability.

We are eliminating the ability for any third party to know your home or away state. That violates our data privacy rules and we will not be replacing that capability going forward.

For the apartment use cases, we have developed a fleet management api that we are working with key system integrators to use for Nest Thermostat integration. That will be available to housing partners, and in fact we would very much like to talk to them if they are either using Nest Thermostats now or plan to in the future. The new fleet management apis are more robust and designed for enterprises such as multi-family dwellings and hospitality

You are correct, we are working on being able to provide similar, if not better, solutions in the future. We are hard at work to make sure we have viable replacements for your whole home control by August.

I really appreciate your feedback. We’re doing our best to maintain your trust in us.

Best regards,
Michele Turner
Sr. Director, Google Smart Home Ecosystem

Some more news!

1 Like

if you have a nest protect, whats the best next alternative now?

Sell or keep and hope you get needed support, API access or someone hacks a working solution.

Honestly these products (hue, nest, echo,etc) are great but you will ultimately depends on 3rd party who’s motivation is to lock you in as customer. For this reason they may not provide api, randomly kill api, stop product support after 3-5yrs or lock out new features that become available.

This is not big deal because they have great product offering many times but this does not cover all use case which is where HA comes in.

Zwave, zigbee and Wifi(mqtt). Else, expect more of this.

thanks, will take that into account going forward

On the Domoticz forum they build something to use NEST and Domoticz with Google Account instead of the NEST account

https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29984#p229124

Maybe developer of NEST integration in HA can take a look to this?

1 Like

Any status on this?
Contemplating sourcing three Nest Protect units, but not really certain it’s a good idea if I want it working with HA!?
Is it possible to use a Google account now?

Thanks in advance

I just received an email from Google…
Subject: Google Nest Device Access Console now available

\ 93x32

Last year, we announced that we’re moving from the Works with Nest program to the Google Nest Device Access program. Today, we’re excited to announce the Device Access Console is available.

Device Access allows qualified partners and individuals to securely access and control Nest products with their apps and solutions.

Commercial developers can learn more by visiting the Device Access page.

For individual smart home developers, learn more about the program.

Or, if you don’t want to wait any longer, jump right in and visit the Device Access Console.

– The Google Nest team

© 2020 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, United States

I literally got into smart home tech because of Nest devices so I really hope this develops into something here.

I’ve gone through all the steps including setting up OAuth 2.0 credentials. Now just need a new Nest integration to work with it. The old one wants a Pin Code and that’s not how it works anymore…

I don’t like the fact that there is a $5 fee just to be able to access the developer console.

Yeah, I’m not sure what that is all about but I paid it…

Love how people are rushing in, must have short memories about being burnt.

1 Like

Do your refer to the how they “took away” the apis last time?

Personally I have spent some money in the Nest ecosystem so it’s either this or replacing everything. And I think a lot of users are in the same boat…

Yes thata what I’m referring to. I would be very wary of rushing in with additional hardware when they could do the same again or do a ITFFF and start charging