Would like to Hire someone to setup home assistant for me?

Hello, I searched for about 2 days , I could not really find any help . I live in Los Angeles, I don’t know If you can do it remotely or you need to be at the house?
I would love to hire someone to set up my home Assistant for me ?

I have
tv , android box, cable box, ecobee , alarm system , cameras etc.

Thx!

Whoever sets it up, it’s likely to need constant monitoring - you might better off learning to do it yourself. And it’s fun, honestly! You don’t have to do the whole thing at once. If you use a raspberry Pi there’s a very straightforward guide to setting it up here. Plenty of advice from the community…

When you say constantly monitoring
Is that because

1. The program breaks down a lot?

2. The program needs constant
    updating that is not easy?

3. If I add a new smart device then it will
    Be a Problem of redoing all the work?

None of the above… But once you get the bug you’ll constantly be having new ideas about how you might use it. For most people it’s a permanent work in progress.

2 Likes

Agree with this.

What you are asking of is almost like “set up my TV so that it turns on and off to the shows I like”.
For now it may be plausible but in a few weeks/months then it’s not correct anymore.

What I want is
alarm system , thermostats, television , audio Sonos, security cameras , lighting, shades , projector,

All in 1 app on my iPad
Is this possible ?

I’m really looking for a cheaper version of a savant, crestron or rti remote control system
For my living room .

Certainly, in principle. If you have all these devices already some may not have a Home Assistant implementation yet. If you are purpose-buying, you can get compatible devices in all those areas. (It’s going to be expensive, but if you live in LA you may not care :smile:…) There is a list of more than 1,500 integrations here.

If I were starting from scratch I would get a Raspberry Pi and start with Philips Hue lighting, which is very straightforward and quite good value, particularly if you don’t need colours. They also do motion sensors and outside security lights.

I believe there’s a free Home Assistant app in the App Store - I’m an Android man myself.

Yes it’s possible.
The problem I see is that one day you (or someone visiting) realize that you want the shades to close and the lights to dim when the projector is on.
So you need a scene or automation.
If you don’t know how to do that then it’s back and pay up more to get it done.

Then you replace the lights, the projector, the TV.
And it goes on and on…

If you have the money to splash around you then go ahead.
But the person doing these jobs will make good money for very little (actual) work.
Or you just endure the few weeks it takes to set it up and knows how to fix everything yourself.

Short answer: Yes.

Realistic answer: Yes but it depends on the availability of integrations for the equipment you own. For example, there are integrations for ecobee thermostat and Sonos speakers but maybe there are none for your TV and alarm system.

Without integrations, those devices cannot be controlled/automated. Creating an integration involves a significant amount of time, effort, and testing. The cost of your project increases substantially if integrations must be developed. If you are unwilling to cover this cost then you will need to exclude that device from your home automation project.

I suggest you review the list of existing integrations and see if all of your devices are represented. On the other hand, if you don’t have, for example, appropriate lighting devices then you will need to consult with the systems integrator (i.e. whoever you hire) to select and purchase suitable equipment.

Typically there’s the initial cost of integrating all the equipment so that it operates according to your documented requirements. Later, you will think of new requirements and so there will be ongoing costs of implementing them or modifying existing ones. You can avoid ongoing costs by learning how to do them yourself. However, be sure to establish the requirement that you will retain administrative access to your home automation system. Some systems integrators my prefer to lock out admin access to prevent well-meaning but unskilled users from damaging the system (and receiving a late-night text to “fix it; broken again”).

You should know that Home Assistant, in its current state, is still very much a hobbyist’s tool. It evolves rapidly but sometimes at the expense of compatibility or stability. For a systems integrator, one way to avoid these drawbacks is to carefully review and test new versions before upgrading a customer’s system (if at all). However, should there be a problem, the integrator cannot guarantee a timely solution.

Why not? Because they must rely on getting answers from an unpaid volunteer army of experienced users and developers who are not obligated to provide answers according to someone’s deadline. Whereas a hobbyist might ‘grin and bear it’ for days or even weeks until a correction becomes available, a paying customer might become displeased with their crippled system, and their systems integrator, when subjected to the same lengthy delay.

That’s why many people are advising you to learn Home Assistant and tackle the project yourself. Otherwise, pick a systems integrator that can realize your home automation dream within your budget, as opposed to selecting the software and searching for someone to implement it.

2 Likes

Also to consider.
I come to your house set everything up as a glorified remote control.
I place all lights on this tab listed alphabetically according to my view of the rooms in the house, they are in pink cards on a green background.
Let’s say 2 months go by, you hate the colour scheme, you decide that the TV room is actually the media room or cinema room and that to differentiate you’d like the cards to be colour coded. The lights need breaking down into upstairs and downstairs. With the more commonly used towards the top.
Are you going to pay me to come back and rearrange things ?
You also had a bulb fail (hey, bulbs with a 20,000 life (mtbf) can fail early) are you going to pay me $250 to come and change your bulb ?
This is why people are recommending for you to learn to do it yourself.

Well that’s a lot of info!

Thx for the reply’s !

So I can say this:
I understand once it’s setup
Don’t mess with it (example: keep the green background pink cards ) do not rearrange anything , don’t buy any new products , UNLESS I wanna pay someone extra money . I understand that.

And yes that’s exactly what I want
A glorified remote control on my iPad .

Next question : do all my products have the automation already made in the system?

My answer: I don’t know ?
But everything I purchased are big name brands
Sony tv, ecobee thermostat, Sonos audio, etc.
now if it’s not already made on that big list .
Then I will not use that item,
Or
I will pay extra to have someone create it .

That was what I (and others) had suggested you do, confirm integrations exist for your equipment:

Integrations for Sonos and ecobee are available and for some models of Sony TVs. Unless integrations exist for your lighting, alarm system, cameras, etc you may need to exclude them from your automation project. Alternatives are to select home automation software that does support them or replace all the unsupported devices with supported ones ($$$).

FWIW, paying someone to develop an integration sounds simple, but isn’t. You will probably need to supply the developer (one who is well versed with creating Home Assistant integrations) with sample hardware for development and testing. Testing devices you may already have, from a remote location, is impractical (i.e. Did it turn on? Is it working now?) so the person will need hands-on access to it. This becomes problematic when the device is something you can’t easily part with, even on a temporary basis (like an alarm system).

The time to develop a new integration depends on many factors (person’s expertise, device’s complexity, etc) and may takes anywhere from days to months. The wages paid to have the integration developed may represent a significant chunk of your entire project’s budget. You also have to establish who owns the resulting work (unless you don’t mind having the new integration, that you paid for, become freely available to world+dog).

Seriously Bob, just give it a go. You’ll almost certainly have a working system in a very short amount of time. It may not look as slick as you’d like but then you’ll see designs from the community that you’ll like and they’ll be happy to share the approach. There’s an app for iOS but worse case scenario is you’ll view your setup on a web page. The app is basically displaying that anyway.

If it all fails then you have to realise that Home Assistant is a work in progress (albeit the best Home Automation solution around IMHO). I’m running a fairly basic setup, much like you are hoping for, and it has been pretty flawless. You do need to read release notes but 9 times out of 10 the breaking changes are relatively simple to rectify.

You don’t have anything to lose in trying and lots to gain. You may find someone to implement this for you but if someone is willing to accept money to give you the initial Home Assistant setup, given that this is effectively a Beta solution, then you can expect regular call-outs to pay for updates that are very user friendly to apply by yourself.

Although a significant amount of work is being done in order to make Home Assistant more user-friendly and easier to use, it’s still a work in progress. It’s not at the point where you can just “set it and forget it” like you want.

Even if you pay someone to set it up for you and never touch it again, that’s not going to last forever. For example, Ecobee could change their API and then you would need to update Home Assistant in order for your thermostat to continue working. If you don’t know how to manage your system, you’ll have to pay someone every time this happens. It’s better and cheaper if you learn some of the basics and can do it yourself.

I would recommend trying the Getting Started guide, it will only cost you about $50 for the materials (Raspberry Pi, SD card etc) and you can be up and running within like 30 minutes. There’s lots of good video tutorials on YouTube that will walk you through the initial setup. The Bravia TV, Sonos, Ecobeee integrations can all be set up directly from the user interface too, so you probably have one of the more easier and beginner-friendly setups.

1 Like

Thx for reply’s!

I know I’m adding a lot of “what ifs” but here it go’s

What if I find someone here local to Los Angeles
What if All my Components are already on that list
What if he teaches me along of what he is doing
What if I never fool around with the settings
(unless I have to do a update or something , but if this person teaches me what he done hopefully I can fix it .

This way ,
I have a pro set it up ,
He shows me what I need to do to fix it in case I need to do a update/ it crashes whatever?

And that will buy me time until it becomes more readily available,
Say 3-6 months or so

Just buy a Raspberry PI / Intel NUC and a SMART bulb or a Sonoff and just give it ago.

Yes YAML is a pain with the spacing. But you will get your head around it after a week or two.

I am not a programmer, but I managed to figure out with a bit of vague docs, info on an older model and some reverse engineering to control my Solar Inverter / Battery storage!

Edit:

Or pay me $30,000 with free board in LA and I will fly over and teach you my limited knowledge :slight_smile:
Seriously just give it ago!

1 Like

I can understand about 40% of those words.
Lol

But thx anyways

Hey! If you learn how to set up Home Assistant, you can charge someone else for doing it! :rofl:

When a manufacturer of one of your devices updates their API, you’ll have to update your install or pay someone. When HA releases new features and you want them, you’ll have to update your install or pay someone. When you want to add some new device you just bought, hopefully it has an integration already created for it. If an integration exists, you’ll have to update your install or pay someone. If an integration doesn’t exist, you’ll have to create it if the manufacturer has an API available, then you’ll have to update your install or pay someone. Even if you “learn something” from someone doing this for you, it’s inevitable things will break and you will be fixing your install or paying someone to do it. HA logs errors to a file and reading the logs are the first step to troubleshooting. When your system fails or the RPi reboots and HA doesn’t come back, and you don’t know what you’re looking at/for, you’ll be paying someone.

It would behoove you to learn YAML and how to configure HA yourself. If you have neither the time or the energy to do so, you’ll be better off paying for a system like Savant or Control4. The cost of paying someone to setup, troubleshoot, maintain, and integrate anything in the future will more than likely exceed the cost of a professional system.

and if you’re dead serious on paying someone, I work in industrial automation and my rate is $250 per hour excluding materials. I rarely work weekends or holidays. Demand support (after business hours 8-5 central time) is $400 per hour. Demand weekend/holiday support is $500 per hour. If site time is required, add $1000 per day to those numbers plus expenses.

1 Like

Maybe this will help, though you will need to understand the basics of Home Assistant though!

1 Like