WTH date format depends on selected language

Users may want to use their language but stick to iso formatted date (YYYY-MM-DD).

Currently it’s impossible because date format is associated to chosen language.

sounds like a duplicate of this FR: Locale support for date and time and decimal separator

WTH, why is the date format imposed based on the language selected but I can pick time, and number format??

In order for me to get European formatted dates I have to switch from English (US) to English GB which I would prefer not to do. Anyway that just gives me DD-MM-YYYY which is not perfect either as I am a European living in the USA so now the US folks in my family are confused… lol.

Ideally I’d like to set it to the international standard of YYYY-MM-DD to eliminate confusion.

Please disassociate the date format from the language setting… and add a configuration for date here:

1 Like

I agree the current setup where the date separator is provided from the chosen locale (but not the field order) doesn’t make sense, and is likely to cause confusion and non-custom date formatting.

It would be super helpful if Home Assistant always offered the locale-independent ISO Standard Date Format (ISO 8601) as one of the options, regardless of language or locale.

As a secondary alternative, Home Assistant could let users choose the separator {“/”, “.”, “-”} in addition to the field field order {YMD, DMY, MDY}.

As a tertiary alternative, Home Assistant could let users specify their own custom date string of the form “%Y-%m-%d” or “YYYY-MM-DD” or “%m/%d/%Y” or “MM/DD/YYYY” or “%d.%m.%Y” or “DD.MM.YYYY”, etc.

[In several countries the ISO date format is officially encouraged, even though the traditional (and ambiguous) dot- or slash-formats are still accepted.]

3 Likes