WTH no Sleep/Awake status/option

A few months ago I switched from Homey to Home Assistant. And since a week I use the Yellow with Home Assistant. I am very satisfied with all the possibilities Home Assistant offers.

In Homey I used the standard options: Home/Away & Sleep/Awake in many many flows.
In Home Assistant, the use of Home/Away is no problem but there is no standard option for Sleep/Awake as a status.
For the time being I have made something myself, but a standard solution in Home Assistant would be very desirable. Or did I miss something?

So how did Homey know if you are sleeping or awake?
The companion app has a sleep confidence meter but that is as far as it goes. Or if you add a bed sensor

1 Like

I change the status by starting a flow. When I say to Siri on my HomePod, Goodnight, a flow will start. In this flow I set to state from awake to sleep. The same in the morning. When the Good Morning flow starts, the status is set to Awake.
I need theses status for several flows which only need to be running when I am awake of asleep.

1 Like

So then just make Siri set a boolean in HA to on or off?
If it’s not more complex than that then I don’t see problem.

2 Likes

Some flows will start or not start, depending on the status sleep/awake.
Same for the flows if I am home or away.

For me the status sleep/awake an extra decency in a flow.
I made this function myself in HA but I was wondering why this is not standard in HA like it is in Homey.

Why would it be standard?
I would have no use of that. If I want HA to know if I’m awake or sleeping then HA will have to figure that out by itself. I’m not going to use voice commands to tell it.
As I said before sleep confidence sensor, lights on or off, time of day, a bed sensor, and more is a more reliable way to know if I’m in bed or not.
If I need to tell my home automation what to do and what state everything is in then it’s not much of a automation.

1 Like

make a toggle helper in HA and call it sleep or awake and make your goodnight and good morning commands change that sensor with a service call.
Now your flows have your sleep/awake sensor to test against.

2 Likes

Hi Wally,

I did and it works :slight_smile: Status is visible as 1 line on my dashboard and are included in some flows. Also the pictogram will change automatically.

slapen

wakker

2 Likes

Nice.
HA might not have that option as standard, but it is pretty easy to make. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Wally and Rob,

I have the same issue as Rob. i currently switching from Homey to HA and i am also missing the sleep and awake function. So i see Rob fixed this problem but how can i make this toggle helper? i am really a greenie with HA hehe

Settings → Devices & services → Helpers (at the very top) → Create helper → Toggle

1 Like

Got it! thanks!

the problem here is of course, that this might be a nice feature for some users - but usually, it isn’t something widely used by many.

While you can track if someone is at home or not by using one of the many different device trackers - or other methods to detect presense, it is a bit more difficult for tracking “sleeping” / “awake” information.

As already mentioned, it can be done by setting a custom sensor from alexa / siri / what ever else
It could be done by using an NFC tag on your bed-table where you put your mobile phone on - or it could just be calculated by the time of day… for example.

I don’t know, how a “standard” solution could look like - which does apply for the majority of users… since everyone has other routines…

Hi Ties,

I have also added a helper.
This is what I have added to the configuration.yaml. For me it is a workable solution.

sensor slapen:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      status_slapen_wakker:
        value_template: '{{ states.input_select.status_slapen_wakker.state }}'
        friendly_name: 'Status'
        icon_template: >
            {% if is_state("sensor.status_slapen_wakker", "Slapen") %}
            mdi:bed
            {% else %}
            mdi:account-tie
            {% endif %}

When i used the Homey i had a scene button next to my bed. when i press the button it switches to sleep mode and when i woke up i press this button again to say i am awake. so when i am a sleep the motion sensors dont trigger in my hallway or toilet for accemple.

yes, but this can be recreated nearly with EVERYTHING…
As explained, you could use

• a NFC Tag which can be read with your mobile phone… that will set the “trigger”
  • you can use any other “smart button” ( TRĂ…DFRI Shortcut-Button [german IKEA site]
  • Create a helper (toggle) which you could place as a widget on your smartphone

and many other options can be considered for such a “Task”.
You just need to setup an automation / script that will then perform the required actions or can be used as condition in your other automations that should not be executed while “sleeping”

I still don’t see, what HA should deliver here as “standard built in feature”

Hi Rob,

Thanks for this! I dont know how to add this to home assisant yet. this is day 2 at home assistant for me. i have the helper working but i cant switch it with a button or nfc tag or something.

I will send you a DM and help you with this.

we actually just added a sensor for Wear OS 3 devices that gets the users activity state with 3 possible states. passive asleep and exercise, works pretty well but has a lil bit of a delay at times due to doze restrictions on a wearable device.

OK… I have to ask, just to be really sure…
So there is no option to switch a person-entity to other states than home and away?

WTH?
Different home-states of each person are mandatory for a Smarthome.
Awoken, home, away (gone), gotosleep, asleep.
All these states are triggering different automations and yes, all that starts automatically.
If I plug my Smartphone to the charger at my bed I’m going to sleep. Simple and reliable.

And yes, of course can I do that with a helper or a dummy-switch but that’s far away from a smart solution and wasted resources because there is already a person-entity.

Let me guess… there is no Home-State entity for the House as well? (with home, away, asleep and gone states for the whole house…)

Please tell me I’m wrong…