The default radius is too sensitive

You can.

zone:
- name: 'Home'
  latitude: !secret home_lat
  longitude: !secret home_long
  radius: 500000
3 Likes

Do you mean why can’t you change it where you can change the other zones? As mentioned above, it is possible, and in more than one way.

Setting Home radius in new Zones UI - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

1 Like

We need to be able to change it using UI.

@klm the UI for customization has been removed some times ago, now the only way to change the radius is using YAML

4 Likes

I understand the desire for that, but using the UI was not mentioned by OP.

edit: My mistake on the customize reference, I edit my home zone in the configuration.yaml. Is it possible to use the customize.yaml, just not in the UI?

This gives you an extra zone. so 2 Home zones…

Nope. I only have one.

That’s a very helpful answer…

i have 2 when i add the lines above. as others… Overriding the "Home" zone via the GUI does not work · Issue #56260 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Best would be if you could set the default home-zone in the gui.

Make sure you restart HA and do not just reload the config. This works for me in 2023.3.6.

But I agree it would be better if it was manageable in the UI.

I’m struggling with setting the radius too, even using YAML. Here’s what I have in configuration.yaml:

zone:
  - name: Home
    latitude: <lat>
    longitude: <long>
    radius: 60
    icon: mdi:home

But if I check the state in Developer Tools it lists the radius as 30m. The longitude and latitude are correct though, so not sure what’s going on…

What am I doing wrong here?

Let HA define your zone with the UI and use customization under homeassistant or in customize.yaml if you have this file.

homeassistant:
  customize:
    zone.home:
      radius: 60
1 Like

I went into customize.yaml to configure this, only to find I already had the home zone in there, and this was setting it to 30m. I removed that and it immediately reverted to the (correct) settings from configuration.yaml.

Doh! Thanks for the assist.

1 Like

Struggle to understand why there is still no option in the UI?

Because no one has added it. 9 times out of 10, if you have a question like this, it’s because no one has done the work. The month of WTH is supposed to garner response to missing functionality like this. It doesn’t always work.