WTH Why is the raspberry Pi 4 bluetooth integration not seeing any bluetooth devices

not sure at all.
But, even if we could, it would still throws many devices per hour into your HA instance. Unnamed and useless devices. So as the integration stands now, I wont suggest using it for that purpose.

Ah, ok, I miss interpreted your response.

Then maybe, a way to include and exclude devices would be a nice option too. Or simple connect to and ignore.

Ok, this is somewhat off topic, but relevant to some of this discussion:

How does one tell what integrations are loaded if they don’t show up in .../config/integrations?

The new bluetooth integration has a card, but other mentioned integrations don’t have cards, or show up in the search list: discovery, ssdp-discovery, etc. (some of which should be included by default_config)

(I’m guessing the only integrations that get cards on that page are those with UI components or take part in the modern config flow for lack of a more precise term.)

There used to be a page that listed start up times that was helpful for seeing what’s loaded. But I haven’t been able find it in recent releases.

Oh ho, let me tell you. It’s in a really accessible place that 100% makes sense and you should never question it’s position.

Settings → System → Repairs → 3 Dots (Upper Right) → Integration Startup Time

If integrations showed all integrations that were loaded, the average integration screen would contain 88 integrations, most of them being a single blank panel with no entities associated with them. For example, I use 120 integrations, and only 31 show up in the integration panel. Also keep in mind that yaml integrations do not appear in that panel, however that may change in the future based on the recent changes to the ‘find integration’ menu.

2 Likes

@petro - thank you for an extremely helpful answer. You also helped me find where System information went.

The System Information pop up has gotten even more useful information since I last looked. I wish it was an actual page I could link to instead of a pop-up.

Understood. As mentioned in other WTHs, I wish that the integrations page behaved more like the devices page – a list that gives access to config page for each integration.

Whoho, it went there. Thanks! :rofl:

To be honest this confuse me as well.
Lets take bluetooth speakers as an example, we have one million brands and models but from my mobile phone I just scan bt devices, connect and play music on the speakers, that’s it, without any other specific software.

When I saw bt feature added to HA I expected to have the same experience as a regular phone: I see my bt devices → connect → use
At least for the common-no specific software ones.

1 Like

A Bluetooth connection from hardware to all the way to the point where a speaker starts playing Johnny Cash or Armik Rubia is quite complex.

Of course the question what we, at least I am asking is what does HA Bluetooth integration provide to other … integrations?

Can we pick Bluetooth profiles for coding (e.g. AVRCP, A2DP, HSP, HFP, SPP)
Is there methods to manage bonding and pairing, authentication process, etc.?
Can we select connection mode (sniff, hold, park, active)?

(Is it part of the Event Bus?)

Lot’s of guessing. :smiley: I started at the same place you are at. Bluetooth added to HA? My phone, headsets, speakers should show up!

This is a good reference to peek at WiFi | ShareTechnote
and a course albeit dated, still a good starting point An Introduction to Bluetooth Programming

Good day to anyone that can help.

I have installed the Bluetooth & Bluetooth Low Energy Monitoring Integration.

I have nothing being auto discovered but have read that that is not what the Integrations do - Got it.

I have gone into File Editor & then my Configuration.yaml file & added “bluetooth:” - is this a correct step?

I’ve restarted & attempted to add the Inkbird Integration but get “No devices found on the network” - so if they don’t auto discover & if I can’t add the Integration that might discover the end device what do I do or what am I missing?

Thanks,

Just a quick side note: the raspberry pi4 Bluetooth has terrible Bluetooth coverage. Devices need to be near it (within a couple meters) or the will loose connection.
I have a eve energy monitor who works perfectly if right next to the Pi. If i move it 3 meters away it will start to give allot of problems to stay connected.
I moved my HA to a nuc, and Bluetooth has been allot better.
Just keep that in mind, try re-adding you integrations when the device is very close to the pi and see if that helps

Thanks for the tip. I guess I’m still questioning how to add end devices.

depends on the end device. For example if you want to add a eve energy, add an eve energy integration (bad example as eve is automatically found).
i don’t have any device that aren’t automatically found atm that use bluetooth, so i cannot test.
What device are you trying to connect?

People better be careful what they wish for. I have no Bluetooth devices that currently show up in HA yet but I’ve seen my Bluetooth traffic. If at some point everything showed up? It made me smile imagining that. I don’t even live close enough to hear my neighbors BT traffic. Then we have the problem of BT devices changing their identities to avoid tracking. This is not a simple problem.

Too late.

I added

discover:
device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth_tracker
  - platform: bluetooth_le_tracker
    track_new_devices: true
    track_battery: true
    interval_seconds: 30

to my configuration.yaml, and now I have 176 tracked devices. :smiley:

I will assume HASS does not know what to do with them, and that is why nothing shows up in discovered devices.

Of the discovered devices, based on the MAC address (and three by name), two are Samsung cell phones, two are Apple devices, one Logitech (wireless keyboard?), a Ubiquiti router, a Fitbit watch, an LG sound bar.

3 regular BT, while the rest all BLE.

Where did you add that code?

I have some Govee Bluetooth LED strips, a Chugod (same looking software as Inkbird) Meat Thermometer probes, anything that could test it (phones, mice, etc.)

I also keep getting this

Retrying setup: hci0 (E4:5F:01:AB:68:02): Failed to start Bluetooth: [org.bluez.Error.NotReady] Resource Not Ready

configuration.yaml, but you don’t need the discover line because that’s in default config.

Mine isn’t discovering anything sadly. I’m not sure how to enable it to do so.