WTH Why is the raspberry Pi 4 bluetooth integration not seeing any bluetooth devices

bluetooth device

Well I think heā€™s expecting all his bluetooth devices to show up and they simply donā€™t. Like cell phones and bluetooth speakers do not work at all in HA right now. IIRC you can get phones working by using a specific integration (the name skps my mind but it has presence in the name).

Aha thank you petro then that might be the reason I see nothing, I was in the assumption that i could see my cell phones so I could use it for presence detection, but as what you say is true then that is not incorperated.
I hope and wish that this might soon be changed :slight_smile:

I only think that many more people here were expecting that to happen, bummer.

I think there is a way but I havenā€™t looked into it. I know people have talked about doing it. Maybe @Mariusthvdb was doing it, or mentioned it?

yes, install 2022.7 and use the

device_tracker:
  - platform: bluetooth

could do that on a dedicated Pi, and use

mqtt_statestream:
  base_topic: ha_mqtt_hub
  include:
    domains:
      - device_tracker

Its what I did before I moved to a single MiniPC and updated HA beyond 2022.7

Not sure that will ever be back, though Nick (Bdraco) is aware ofc and working hard to make BT shine

1 Like

Ah ok, so it hasnā€™t made itā€™s way back into HA after the bluetooth swap.

@jayjay Iā€™d just wait until everything is added back. It will most likely be something that is discovered if bdraco is adding it.

I installed 2022.10

So I can only conclude, it is way more complicated to get it running as I had hoped, maybe specially on a Raspberry.
We are pampered these days with things that just run with a click of the scan button :slight_smile:

Thank you all, and I hope this WTH provides the answers others seek.

1 Like

no.
the bluetooth_le tracker was updated, but I find that unusable. It finds hundreds of devices, and not the ones I am afterā€¦

1 Like

Which integration? Or maybe a better question, how are you getting your phone to act as an le device?

sure, we all did :wink:

was talking about a dedicated little machine for that. I mean, given the fact we install BT proxies through the premises, 1 extra single board wont hurtā€¦

wow wished that was my setup, doing that

not sure at all.
But, even if we could, it would still throws many devices per hour into your HA instance. Unnamed and useless devices. So as the integration stands now, I wont suggest using it for that purpose.

Ah, ok, I miss interpreted your response.

Then maybe, a way to include and exclude devices would be a nice option too. Or simple connect to and ignore.

Ok, this is somewhat off topic, but relevant to some of this discussion:

How does one tell what integrations are loaded if they donā€™t show up in .../config/integrations?

The new bluetooth integration has a card, but other mentioned integrations donā€™t have cards, or show up in the search list: discovery, ssdp-discovery, etc. (some of which should be included by default_config)

(Iā€™m guessing the only integrations that get cards on that page are those with UI components or take part in the modern config flow for lack of a more precise term.)

There used to be a page that listed start up times that was helpful for seeing whatā€™s loaded. But I havenā€™t been able find it in recent releases.

Oh ho, let me tell you. Itā€™s in a really accessible place that 100% makes sense and you should never question itā€™s position.

Settings ā†’ System ā†’ Repairs ā†’ 3 Dots (Upper Right) ā†’ Integration Startup Time

If integrations showed all integrations that were loaded, the average integration screen would contain 88 integrations, most of them being a single blank panel with no entities associated with them. For example, I use 120 integrations, and only 31 show up in the integration panel. Also keep in mind that yaml integrations do not appear in that panel, however that may change in the future based on the recent changes to the ā€˜find integrationā€™ menu.

2 Likes

@petro - thank you for an extremely helpful answer. You also helped me find where System information went.

The System Information pop up has gotten even more useful information since I last looked. I wish it was an actual page I could link to instead of a pop-up.

Understood. As mentioned in other WTHs, I wish that the integrations page behaved more like the devices page ā€“ a list that gives access to config page for each integration.

Whoho, it went there. Thanks! :rofl:

To be honest this confuse me as well.
Lets take bluetooth speakers as an example, we have one million brands and models but from my mobile phone I just scan bt devices, connect and play music on the speakers, thatā€™s it, without any other specific software.

When I saw bt feature added to HA I expected to have the same experience as a regular phone: I see my bt devices ā†’ connect ā†’ use
At least for the common-no specific software ones.

1 Like

A Bluetooth connection from hardware to all the way to the point where a speaker starts playing Johnny Cash or Armik Rubia is quite complex.

Of course the question what we, at least I am asking is what does HA Bluetooth integration provide to other ā€¦ integrations?

Can we pick Bluetooth profiles for coding (e.g. AVRCP, A2DP, HSP, HFP, SPP)
Is there methods to manage bonding and pairing, authentication process, etc.?
Can we select connection mode (sniff, hold, park, active)?

(Is it part of the Event Bus?)

Lotā€™s of guessing. :smiley: I started at the same place you are at. Bluetooth added to HA? My phone, headsets, speakers should show up!

This is a good reference to peek at WiFi | ShareTechnote
and a course albeit dated, still a good starting point An Introduction to Bluetooth Programming