Wunderground not working

So I put this code into my configuration.yaml but nothing shows up on my dashboard or overview. Only the 2 yr icons show:

# Sensors
sensor:
  # Weather prediction
  - platform: yr

# Emoncms
  - platform: emoncms
    api_key: !secret emoncms_api_key
    url: !secret emoncms_url
    id: 1

- platform: wunderground
    api_key: !secret wunder_api_key
    monitored_conditions:
      - temp_high_record_c
      - temp_high_1d_c
      - temp_c
      - temp_low_1d_c
      - temp_low_record_c
      - precip_1d
      - precip_1d_mm
      - wind_kph
      - wind_1d_kph
      - alerts

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 6.21.52 PM

Is Wunderground working again? I thought they shut it down over a year ago.

oh i didnt know

You need a personal weather station reporting to weather underground to request the api key.

The documentation contains a Warning paragraph explaining the API keys expire in December 2018.

thats weird cause i just opened an account, registered a device and posted data to it.

That’s interesting. Do you have a weather station and you’re uploading its data to Wunderground?

Or are you only downloading weather forecasts from Wunderground?

Based on their announcement, if you arexa contributor you can access weather data, otherwise they discontinued their API for consumers.

Wunderground also implemented a new API for those customers with a PWS. I am not aware that the official integration has been updated for this new API. To my knowledge, there is a custom component that uses the new API. And personally I use a REST sensor.

1 Like

I have my own station and uploading data to wunderground and use that custom component

Ok, that explains why the standard Wunderground integration isn’t working for you. It uses the API (and API key) that was deprecated. As a weather data contributor, you are using the new API (and API key) which isn’t supported by the standard Wunderground integration.

Do you need any more assistance to get things going? Then please chime in :slight_smile:

Hi, sorry in jumping into the chat, I’m interested in getting wunderground working with HA, I have a new API, but can’t find the custom component, do you have a link to the details please

I think it is this one: https://github.com/cytech/Home-Assistant-wundergroundpws

Thanks I’ll check it out in the morning.

I would love to get an advanced tutorial how to set this up. I´ve got a personal weather station and copying the config from https://github.com/cytech/Home-Assistant-wundergroundpws wouldn´t do the trick for me. If someone got this working, please help me :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
the dude with no hope any more

I just use the rest sensor…
configuration.yaml

sensor:
- platform: rest
  name: pws_report
  json_attributes:
    - observations
  value_template: '{{ value_json["observations"][0]["obsTimeLocal"].title() }}'
  resource: !secret wunderground_url
  scan_interval: 300

- platform: template
  sensors:
    pws_location: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].neighborhood }}'
      friendly_name: Location
    pws_station_id: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].stationID }}'
      friendly_name: Staion ID
    pws_type: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].softwareType }}'
      friendly_name: Station Type
    pws_wind_dir: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].winddir }}'
      friendly_name: Wind Direction
      unit_of_measurement: "°"
    pws_wind_gust: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].windGust }}'  
      friendly_name:  Wind Gust  
    pws_wind_speed: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.windSpeed }}'
      friendly_name: Wind Speed
      unit_of_measurement: "MPH"
    pws_humidity: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].humidity }}'
      friendly_name: Humidity
      unit_of_measurement: "%"
    pws_precip_total: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.precipTotal }}'
      friendly_name: Rain Total
      unit_of_measurement: "in"
    pws_precip_rate: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.precipRate }}'
      friendly_name: Rain Rate
      unit_of_measurement: "in"
    pws_temp: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].imperial.temp }}'
      friendly_name: Temp
      unit_of_measurement: "°F"
    pws_solar: 
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].solarRadiation }}'

secrets.yaml

wunderground_url: https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationId=<STATIONID>&format=json&units=e&apiKey=<APIKEY>
8 Likes

Could you please explain me a little bit more detailed how to implement this? Would be very thankful :slight_smile:

1.) Put the URL in secrets.yaml, replacing <APIKEY> and <STATIONID> with your values
2.) Put the rest in configuration.yaml under sensor
3.) Save, Check Config, Restart HA

1 Like

Thanks wuench! This worked for me. I tried using the custom wunderground above, and configuration wouldn’t check or restart, even at barebones configuration. This seems like it will work like a charm.