Wyse Thin Client Home Assistant OS installation instructions

Great. I think you will be happy with the Thin Client.

Just wanted to say i just upgraded from rpi to a wyse 7010, i have a sata-usb adapter and did as the docs for generic x86 and used balena to write to an ssd, installed it and powered it up, change bios to uefi and then it just worked perfectly

2 Likes

Does anyone know if this will work on a Dell Wyse 5060 ThinClient AMD Quad Core?

I have found a guy locally selling a bunch of them for $50 CDN each. I stumbled across a YT video on them and wouldn’t mind trying one of these. I am currently using a Lenovo M93P Tiny but could use that for another project.

1 Like

It should work, but looking at the mainboard, I would advise you against that Thin Client, as it uses SATA Flash drive as storage.

Unless you know a brand which produces bigger ones, I would struggle to get a decent size (more than 32GB). Most of them came with 8GB only.

Of course you can try with and external USB drive as well. But that is another extra coat.

In looking at the spec it appears to have same flash drive as the 5020 which I use. You can replace the flash drive with SSD with short cable and SSD for about $30. Additional info Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Thanks for the info,

I also found this for a little more money. Thinking it would be a better option all round

The 5070 that I posted below has a 16GB eMMC and a M.2 slot so I could add a drive.

Do you know if you can boot from the additional drive which I would use for HA rather than the onboard eMMC?

That looks better for an M.2 SSD.

My personal choice is really a HP T630. 4 core AMD processor, DDR4 memory, Gigabit Ethernet, plenty USB ports, M.2 SSD (unfortunately just SATA and not NVMe).

And it is passive cooled without a noisy fan what can broke.

I don’t have any experience with the 5070, but I would think you could change the boot order to the m.2.

Thank you,

From the manual I downloaded it looks like the 5070 is passively cooled.

How do you find the performance? Currently on my Lenovo M93P the CPU usage sits around 4% and RAM usage is around 2.1GB

Cool Thank You,

I love tinkering with these mini pc’s lol

Memory around 2.5-3GB.

Processor around 15 to 50%.

I have 3 dashboard, 10 resources, 29 views.

24 downloaded HACS repositories.

Probably 40+ integrations.

The Thin Clients are nice robust solutions for Home Assistant. I have a 5020 and 7010 and have installed 120GB drives in both. The 7010 is just setting there with HA loaded as a backup to the 5020. I also see a lot of people using the HP Thin Clients with great success.

I can’t believe I haven’t stumbled on these before.

The 5060 I found is $50 CDN & the 5070 is brand new and $100 CDN. I have also found a few HP T630’s around $80

Decisions decisions lol

And they are far more powerful than a Rpi3 B+. I cannot compare to a Rpi4, because I haven’t had one.

If you spend a bit more you can get more powerful CPUs and hardware too in a small form.

Most i5-6500T boxes should be around 200-250CND with 8GB of memory. Of course those will have fans.

Just like the HP Elite Slice, Dell OptiPlex 5050 or 7040 Tiny or HP 400/600/800 G2/G3 DM (Desktop Mini), or Lenovo M900/ M710q etc…

And these are only the Intel models, there are AMD Ryzen versions as well.

I have seen the i5-6500T tiny PC’s,

They are a bit of an overkill for just my HA machine, I wouldn’t mind one of those to Hackintosh. I might pick up one of these thin clients to use as my HA machine then repurpose my Lenovo M93PP Tiny for something else. That has an i5-4570T and 8GB RAM

Just carefully, they are really addictive. :rofl:

I have a Lenovo M720q with a 4 port Ethernet extension card running pfSense as router. An older HP G1 just to tinker with things. Another M720q as “hotswap” for the pfSense. And a HP T630 for HA…

Never ever start to read the ideas on Serve The Home’s Project TinyMiniMicro!

Here is a link what you would miss:

https://www.servethehome.com/?s=TinyMiniMicro

And of course, do not tell your wife that you’ve got another one…

Oh, one more thing, what is kinda important.

Always make sure that the BIOS has the feature “power on after power returns”. In case the power is lost and the box turns off, it will start again when the power returns.

The Argon cases for RPi4 had that feature missing and that rendered some use cases.

I have seen this feature on a couple of YT videos and will make sure it is present.

I now need to decide whether it will be the 5070 or the HP T630 lol