Wyse Thin Client Home Assistant OS installation instructions

Thanks for the additional info! I did come across those two posts you refer to before I had made the purchase, partially why I’m kicking myself now for finding the HP that was the same price. Regardless, I’ll find some use for it down the road!

I haven’t found the T430 before I purchased the T630, and still I cannot find any refurbished ones of it. But there are plenty T630 available. If I would have had a T430, then it might would have saved me the extra work of setting up Debian first for a supervised setup, due to the T630 being equipped with an AMD processor.

The next choice might going to be the Slice Elite, but again the fans. Then I have to find a new place for it where it will not be an issue of the noise.

Thanks for all the answer! I will think more of the Wyse 3040. I might going to get one as a test rig or for development purposes.

1 Like

Hi all,

Just setting out to do this on a HP T620 which [Motorrad] has reported success with. Bought the unit second hand off ebay.

Got the thin client to boot from the USB, chose Ubuntu from the list and when Ubuntu was loading (could see Ubuntu desktop background), the machine turned off and now I can’t do anything to get it back on. At the time this happened, I was plugging in a different keyboard and mouse, but don’t see how that might have affected it.

Power supply is good, and I can see some internal LED flash briefly when I plug the power supply into the thin client. However, nothing else helps. I’ve tried clearing the CMOS using the button in the chassis, putting in a new CMOS battery. No luck.

Any ideas?

Are you trying to use the Trial Ubuntu and run it from the USB? That is what you should be using. Not familar with T620, but is Secure Boot disabled? If you reset CMOS is it possible you also reset Secure Boot to enabled?

The secure boot was defiitely disabled when I tried to use Trial Ubuntu from the USB. It was while the trial Ubuntu was loading that it crashed. As for secure boot being enabled after I reset the CMOS, would secure boot prevent it completely from starting up - i.e. not even power on? I’m starting to wonder if I had a coincidental ram failure.

Sorry, I am not sure. Can you still get into BIOS setting using F10 to check and see if it is trying to boot from USB?

Machine won’t even power on. Only indication its alive is a brief flash of an internal LED when I plug it in.

Sorry I can help with the HP. You might post on the Home Assistant Group on Facebook. There are a lot of people using HP T620 on there. Please update here if you find a solution so we can help others.

Hi guys, I’m in the process of installing HA-OS on a HP T630 so I bumped on this thread.
The first guide of @olddawgpowers - even though well explained/written - didn’t seem to work for me but that could be because this is new to me.

Finally, @unrly his post was the solution to get HA running.

There is 1 thing though: this is what the disc configuration looks like (it’s a 32Gb SSD):

Is this OK/normal that so many partitions are created or should I make any changes?
Thanks for your help/advice!

1 Like

From what I remember I believe the file system looks correct. Glad you got it working. I will update my post to include unrly instructions as another solution.

I would invest into a bigger SSD, if you want to do backups or planning to use InfluxDB as well.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip!
This is not my main system and I was already thinking to look for a way to make backups on a thumb drive.

I don’t know if failing to use your guide is because of my system or something I did wrong.

Could it be that the filesystem of the SSD, before transferring the image, plays a role?

I’m not particularly sure why there are so many partitions, but after having done the install countless times for testing the Wyse, there are definitely that many.

I would also suggest an SSD (or thumb drive as you mentioned) as you will fill up any remaining storage quick, hence my instructions for moving the data partition. If you do move the data partition to another drive, it will include those backups that you mentioned.

Glad this post helped!

The system does already have a 32Gb SSD.

I don’t know if there is a big difference but my main system only uses 3,6Gb from a total of 5Gb.
Back then, I didn’t know how much was needed but if necessary, it can be resized.

What am I doing wrong?? I’ve got ubunto running on the thumb drive on my wyze 5020. I follow the instructions to flash HA to the second thumb drive. When I do “df -h”, I don’t see the HA image. I see: /media/ubuntu/disk, /media/ubuntu/disk1, /media/ubuntu/hassos-data, /media/ubuntu/hassos-overlay.

When I go to the disk viewer, I see the flash drive as /dev/sdc1.

I’ve tried all of these locations and either get “File format not recognized”.

I’m not Linux savvy at all…

It doesn’t sound like you have the image on the thumb drive. Look at Write The Image To Your Boot Media on the below link. You should be using the Generic x86-64 image. You may find these new instructions on this link easier to follow. Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant

That’s the instructions I followed. Is it possible that the thumb drive is bad? It’s an older 16gb thumb drive.

I formatted it, flashed it, plugged into the wyze, couldn’t find the HA image, unplugged it, deleted the partitions, reformatted it, flashed again, still can’t find the image. It shows the partitions on the thumb drive in Ubuntu.

Okay sorry about the confusion. If you use the guide I made in the first post located in Dropbox, you do not use Balena Etcher to flash the thumb drive. Just format the thumb drive and copy the haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img.xz to it. Then run the sudo xz -dc /media/ubuntu/NUC/haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=fsync with your paths instead of mine. Just download the file by putting this link https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/7.6/haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img.xz in your browser. It should download the file to your Download folder.

If you want to save typing the dd commands you can use the Disk Utility in Ubuntu Live to Restore the Image in these steps Wyse Thin Client Home Assistant OS installation instructions - #15 by unrly

Got it to work finally! Copied the image to the flash, but Ubuntu wouldn’t recognize the file if I typed the command. I copied and paste the file name plus the path and it finally worked. Thanks!