Wyze Cam v2 - Home Assistant Review

I’m actually not using it anymore, but I did this:

camera:
  - platform: generic
    still_image_url: local/wyze.jpg
    stream_source: rtsp://admin:[email protected]/live
    name: Office Camera

The Wyze cam does not support still image url, but I think it is required by HA so what I did was I saved a Wyze logo in my www folder and just referenced to it.

Edit: one more thing after flashing the RTSP firmware, you need to enable RTSP in the settings in the Wyze app.
If you don’t want to use the Wyze app at all, there is an open source firmware called OpenIPC, but I have not tried it yet.

1 Like

Thanks @shanem, that worked for me.
Getting about 2 sec lag on RTSP stream, is that normal?

Shane - thanks for this! Works great and easy to setup. Curious about audio, I can’t seem to get any audio to come through? Works fine on default wyze app, and in tinycam, but can’t get audio to stream through in HA. Any ideas? Thanks!

Are you getting audio output on a lovelace UI card? My stream works great, can’t find audio. :frowning:

rtsp stream does not carry audio :frowning: I hope I’m wrong

Anyone know if I can take out the sd card out of the flashed cam and reuse it on addl cams? I remounted my cam after flashing and didn’t bother to test this first. Woops.

Hi Guys
I just bought a new wyze cam pan that comming with firmware 4.10.5.111, I have not been able to flash with demo_Pan_rtsp_4.29.4.41 firmware to enable RTSP… any idea or suggestions about that?

I am trying to get my Wyze Cam v2 up and running in HA. I have the firmware installed, enabled RTSP and I can successfully view the stream using VLC. My problem is getting it working in HA. Here is my config:

camera:
  - platform: generic
    still_image_url: local/wyze.jpg
    stream_source: rtsp://admin:[email protected]/live
    name: Wyze Camera

I am using a picture entity card to show the camera in lovelace. When I click the camera to bring up the live stream it never loads. I don’t see any errors in the log.

What am I doing wrong?

Use FFmpeg instead of Generic

Here’s mine…

- platform: ffmpeg
    name: Wyze Cam 1
    input: !secret wyzecam1

where in secrets.yaml I have

wyzecam1: -rtsp_transport udp -i rtsp://username:[email protected]/live

edit: “username” and “password” are of course replaced appropriately

4 Likes

Thanks! Finally I have a working camera in HA.

1 Like

I’ve been trying this method and keep getting this error:

Log Details (ERROR)
Logger: libav.tcp
Source: components/stream/worker.py:49
First occurred: 11:02:56 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:02:56 AM

Connection to tcp://10.0.0.230:554?timeout=5000000 failed: Host is unreachable

Audio doesn’t seem to work for most cameras in Home assistant, I’m not really sure why.

Oh so if we call for a still image from the camera say if we have an automation that if a window opens it won’t return a still image of what it captured at that moment it’ll just return the wyze.jpg logo?

1 Like

yes, as it doesnt support a still image. maybe a better idea would be either to use some mods with the camera or connect it to an NVR and get the still image from there.

is there any way to get a still image from the cameras without the RTSP firmware? My cameras are installed in locations that make it impossible to update them at the moment (inside outdoor feral cat houses that are currently occupied by said feral cats! - i would have to dissassemble them to get to the cameras and that is a spring project, I dont want to mess with their houses in this nasty cold weather).

I dont care about video, I just want to be able to get a snap shot of the cameras.

Anyone know if anyone made a way to access the images from wyze cloud api perhaps?

Considering to have rtsp on my wyze cam v2. Which rtsp firmware is better, from wyze or https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks? I know that wyze rtsp can still provide motion detection on wyze app. For Dafang-Hacks, is it possible to have motion detection event available to HA?

Thanks.

1 Like

Looking at this, i think so.

it can use MQTT when motion is detected, so you should be able to use it an an automation…

I will test this soon and let you guys know how it works.

1 Like

Any update on this?
The kids leave their room light on a lot so wanted to use the motion as a way to decide if the light should stay on or if I should turn it off.

Sorry for not responding. Still, the only thing Wyze supports is RTSP, which works on the Wyze Cam V2 and Wyze Cam Pan by flashing custom firmware to the cameras from Wyze. It doesn’t seem to be priority to them though, so they don’t update it as often as the main Wyze firmware. Wyze still doesn’t have an official documented API, so there can’t be a Home Assistant integration for it.

But i did find this unofficial API that works with some Wyze devices, however i don’t know enough about JavaScript to do anything with it.

From reading your message, I assume you have a Wyze cam and want to get its motion state in Home Assistant so you can create an Automation to turn off your lights when there is no motion on the camera.

You could try some of the Wyze Cam hacks others linked above, or if you don’t want to do that, your only option might be to get some kind of motion sensor. If you don’t want to use Z-wave/zigbee, the current gen Wyze Sense sensors can actually work in Home Assistant with a custom integration, but they are planning to discontinue them soon to replace them with a second generation version, and its hard to find them in stock.

So for you, I would say either try one of the hacks to get its motion state, get some motion sensors, or get another camera. Sadly, there is no known way to simply ask the Wyze cam if there is motion, because there is no documented API at the moment.

Note: the custom firmware and hacks currently only work on the Wyze Cam V2 and Wyze cam pan, not the V3 or Outdoor Cam. But wyze says rtsp is coming soon for the v3, but not the outdoor cam because it is battery powered.

Thanks for the API link. Do you know if it supports person detection stuff from the api and is there a way to integrate it to home assistant?