Wyze Cam v2 - Home Assistant Review

Thanks so much. I actually ordered some extra sonoff motion sensors in case this was the response so glad I did.
Thanks for the nice summary, very much appreciated!

1 Like

anyone use this API? Create an integration? Iā€™m going to give it a try, but my skills no bueno

2 Likes

Havenā€™t read through the whole thread, so I hope this isnā€™t redundant. If you feel like spending way too much time on this, I am using frigate NVR to do motion and person detection on my the RTSP stream from my wyze v2. I have between 1-2 seconds latency between someone entering (or leaving, which seems better suited to your application) my camera field of view and my automations triggering. This is probably a lot more work than a motion sensor though . . .

Thatā€™s pretty cool, i might try that for all my cameras and see how well it works. Ive been looking for something like this.

Anybody got more then 1 cam to show. I have 3 setup but only 1 is up rest grayed out and says idle.

@jakelatino, Thanks for you remark, i will start testing the frigate NVR solution for motion detection. What do you use as lovelace card?
Iā€™m missing sound in my current setup.

camera:
  - platform: ffmpeg
    name: Baby
    input: -rtsp_transport http -i rtsp://user:[email protected]/live

card:

type: picture-entity
entity: camera.baby
camera_image: camera.babycamn
show_state: false

I am using dafangā€™s firmware with wyze cam 2 (3 of them)

It provides JPG snapsnot URL and MQTT messages on motion. Works great for cheap RTSP cameras

Do you have a link and can you share your setup in HA?

I use motioneye for mqtt motion detection:

mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.1.345 -p 1883 -u USER -P PASSWORD -t home/motiondetection/camera -m "ON"

if your wyze cam 2 is 128mb model update bootloaderā€¦
https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks/blob/116c1ad53d04933ac91842d981d17015555a584f/hacks/flashinguboot.md

Then here are some screenshots of the configurations inside dafang once it is up and running
for MQTT message on motion. MQTT motion messages are publish from the camera on myhome/deckcam/motion in my example

JPG snapshot:
https://192.168.1.XXX/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
http://192.168.1.XXX/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi

RTSP:
rtsp://192.168.1.XXX:8554/unicast

1 Like

@devWaves, thanks a lot. I will investigate and see if i can figure it out. And what do you have in lovelace? Iā€™m missing sound in my current setup.

I am still fairly new to HA and I donā€™t really use dashboards so I donā€™t have this setup in lovelace. What I sent are configurations that can be used with any smarthub that supports mqtt and rtsp

@devWaves, thanks again. Realy helpfull. I wonā€™t need a tool to detect montion and send it to mqtt like motioneye.

After itā€™s flashed, you can remove the card and use it to flash another Wyze2. (I did).

Update: To be clear, I no longer recommend buying a Wyze Cam V2 if you exclusively plan to use it with Home Assistant. This is for people who already have one laying around. It will work, but there are now alternatives at this price point with native RTSP support, along with other features. I havenā€™t tried them yet, but they are probably more reliable too. If Wyze comes out with a local API and RTSP support for the Wyze Cam V3, i would recommend it. Until then, the v3 has no support, and Wyze is just a company that really wants you to use their cloud service.

Why support that? Personally, i think ill hold off buying Wyze devices in the future until that day where i can get a reliable video feed in Home Assistant comes.

1 Like

What are some of your camera recommendations at this price point?

second to that above about recommendations as that would be great to know, as stated the v3 would be a good candidate if for not having support for rtsp which we all want, but the wait for them to sort it out (if they do ?) is quite painful.

1 Like

Theyā€™re planning it, but who knows when it will be released. When they do, Iā€™ll either post here or start a new thread.

Does the v3 support RTSP? ā€“ Wyze (zendesk.com)

I just ordered two Wyze Cam V2ā€™s and hope to put the Xiaomi firmware on them. I still donā€™t know of anything comparable I would have ordered that. Is the Sonoff camera any good in comparison?

I have not tried the sonoff camera, but have heard that it is good. Since i havent tried it, i dont have an opinion, but there are a lot of YouTube videos comparing budget cameras for use in Home Assistant.

Such as?

(This sucks, I canā€™t simply ask ā€œSuch asā€ or the New and Improved forum says my response is too short).