Wyze sense sensor integrations

It gets even trickier because they don’t always report predictably. I had one report 82% and then report 87% the next time I used it.

Are you saying that changing the table in HA will write the mac address to the wyze device?

1 Like

The Wyze Sense custom component in HA will absolutely not write to the sensor itself. It only retrieves the mac address from the sensor bridge when a packet is received. That’s all it can do. The MAC address is also physically printed on the sensor itself.

I did not claim it did. The issue is that several people have sensers that lost the Mac address.

I’m saying, it absolutely fixed my issue with having a zeroed out mac address for several sensors. take it how you will, the sensor pairs with zero mac after changing the battery, once I change it in the menu as stated, the sensor works as expected.

Futhermore, instead of the infighting, we should be pushing for a open source implementation from wyze themselves, I created a thread, linking the feature request, I’m doing some other thread work today to try to boost it up. It’s got almost 800 upvotes on the wyze forums so far, before I linked the forum on the home assistant forums, and cross linked them, 1 month ago, it was just over 400 votes. so, we will be heard by wyze, we just need to keep pushing.

Wyze Integration feature request

Home assistant cross post

Boosted Post

1 Like

absolutely needs the native integration!

1 Like

There’s no infighting going on, we’re discussing a technical issue to get to the bottom of how to make it work for us.

If writing to the binary_sensor in HA works then it might be the sensor bridge messing up, not the sensors themselves. There was a sensor bridge firmware update 0.0.0.34 released recently that is not listed on their website yet (still shows 0.0.0.33). That may help, but I don’t have any sensors with a zero MAC yet.

Yes, a Wyze solution would be best!

regarding firmware update, the bridge needs to be plugged into the camera to do that, right? hope no repairing needed.

The sensor bridge stores the list of MAC address that are paired to it. The wyze sense component just asks for this list, so it should get the same list when you plug it back in.

1 Like

Do the sensors act independently? What I mean by that is, after you edited several sensors with a zero mac address, what happens when you activate one of them? Does it change state in HA alone or do all of the ‘corrected’ sensors change state too?

As far as I have tested, only the one that is supposed to update, updates. After the mac address fix of course.

If I understand you correctly, adding or chaging the Mac address in the developer tab changes the Mac address on the sensor? I don’t think this is possible. Mac addresses should be stored in ROM or firmware. Usually you need to put a device in a certain mode to be able to write to it. They can’t be changed this easily if implemented correctly. I believe what you are changing is in home Assistant and not on the sensor.
In any case my sensor did not change ( had 5 blinks) and wyze replaced it.

Is there anyway to update the firmware on the bridge without the camera? I never purchased the camera as I only use the sensor with HA and already had different cameras.

Not that I’m aware of. Only the camera has that capability.

That was my point. This fix is only a change in HA, not on the actual contact/motion sensor itself, so I’m not sure how this fixes it. But if it does then I’d like to understand how. I just had a battery die in one of mine so I hope to dig into this if it has a zero MAC address.

If it can be confirmed that the bug is in the bridge and not the sensor, I will purchase a camera so that I can update the bridge firmware.

So the sensor that wasn’t responsive is completely dead. I’m not sure how to revive it if a new battery won’t make it responsive. We’ll see, I haven’t played with it much yet.

On another topic, I decided to focus my time on something other than making this an official integration. I bought a 3D printer and got distracted. I mainly use Wyze sensors for water leak detectors and that means they rarely get actuated (and therefore, the battery level rarely gets updated). Most of my home security system uses CR123A batteries and they last like 5 years. So, I printed a new CR123A battery enclosure that the wyze contact sensor can snap to. This gives it many years of life, saves money on batteries, and reduces the chance of them crapping out due to a low battery. Since the battery won’t go low for many years it’s not that big of a deal to replace them as soon as they drop a little bit and avoid the zero mac address or other issues. Here’s what I came up with if you’re interested. I still need to figure out if I can connect the wires without soldering so I don’t modify the wyze at all (like a fake battery with wires attached), but I’ll resort to soldering if I have to.

FYI, lithium CR123A batteries (1600 mAh) have almost 13x the life of the normal CR1632 batteries (125mAh) Wyze gives you.

3 Likes

Excellent idea. Care to share your files for the enclosure?

So I just switched over from HA running on RPi 3B+ to a Ubuntu VM on Windows 10. I have the Wyze Sense pack but no cameras (dont need or want them). I get no USB devices when trying to forward through the VM. Has anyone been able to do this?