I agree about the confusion of the Xiaomi Gateways.
I took a punt and bought this bundle from Aliexpress
My plan was to extend my HomeAssistant and NodeRed system (so far I have integrated SONOFF/TASMOTA smart-switches, Nest thermostat - grrrr, don’t get me started - Ring Camera and Alexa). Having a set of door switches to tell my HASSIO/NODERED that my wife has left the windows opened, while the heating is on, would allow me to turn off the heating, right? to do that I thought the door-switches in the bundle would be perfect.
The Gateway looks very similar to the one recommended by @lonebaggie as workig with HA.
I followed the instructions, but the Gateway cannot be discovered by my HASSIO
Though I cannot find a straight answer anywhere, the reason for the failure of my Gateway being discovered by HASSIO could be either of these:
- The Gateway I have has the Chinese writings at the bottom all in one line, as opposed to Chinese writings in a rectangle (sorry for the bad explanation, I have seen a picture of the two different Mijia Gateway I am talking about, and apparently, the one I have would not work with HA)
The Gateway recommended by @lonebaggie has the same Chinese writings as mine
- I believe I updated the firmware of the Gateway from the Mi-Home app before entering into Developer Mode, and this closes, from what I understood in different articles, port 9898 and 4321 of the Gateway
I won’t be able to give you the exact firmware number of my Gateway, as I am not at home for the next couple of days
- Gateway faulty? (unilikely, as it works very well with Mi-Home)
- Is there anyone who can put some clarity in the two different Mijia Gateways, if known
- Is it possible to use the Gateway without being connected to the Internet?
- Is it possible to connect the Gateway to a European locale/server, rather than China only?
- How do I open the three screws at the bottom of the gateway, if I wanted to open the ports with the USB-UART, as described in the user guide in the link above, also included elsewhere in the topic? These screws I am referring to are non-standard (nearly flat, with a metal dimple in the middle, what kind of tool do I use to unscrew them?)
Thanks for your patience and answers in advance.
I spent a couple of days already and am in three minds whether to give up and buy another gateways, which gateway should I buy that works with HA, look at alternative solutions to my initial problem (i.e. door switches that connect to HA without all of these confusing Xiaomi/Mijia/Aqara echosystem)