Xiaomi Aqara Confusion

I never heard of that either though, seems unlikely to me unless you can find the original firmware but I don’t think it is freely available on the internet (but who knows, for the xiaomi camera’s this is possible to flash another firmware so maybe).

I can’t find my device version though, will have to take a look on where to find that. Howevet I did find the screws. It looks like a fork indeed, though I have never seen a screw like that before (something chinese maybe? :stuck_out_tongue:) but anyways if you zoom in on the photo you can see the head.

To get to the screws just get a sharp knife and pry under those white rubber thingies. (There are 2 of them, both situated at the top side where the button is).

I tried to put something in the two slots. I have nothing that can do it.
I will try to pop in one of the local shops who replace phone screens, in the hope they have something.

On the usb ZigBee front. I read those dongles don’t seem to have as good network coverage as the Xiaomi gateway.

Mmmmm. Not sure which way to go.

Where can I find the full instructions on how to flash this? Let’s say I do get it open, where can I find info on the wiring and what flash app and file is needed?

The instructions are in

• Turn on the gateway (220V).
  • Open a serial terminal application (e.g. PuTTY) and connect to the serial port assigned to the USB-UART module (baudrate: 115200).
  • Wait until the gateway is booted up, connect the RX, TX and GND wires to the UART module (don’t connect the Vcc (power) wire!).
  • You will see all the messages from the gateway.
  • Send the command psm-set network open_pf 3 (the command has to end with a CR newline character).
  • Check your settings executing the command psm-get network open_pf to be sure it’s OK.
  • Restart the gateway.

Mine actually worked with hassio without the need of any mods. It was a v2 gateway, maybe they changed something in the latest hassio version.

I use this

Expensive!

Well the Stick is 40€.
The it is directly connected to my Hass.io and the Data is stored locally.
There is no Bridge which is connected to a Chinese cloud and only connected to the Internet, if i let it.
Also i can connect Lights like Hue or osram Smart plugs.
For example osram Smart plugs can be used as mesh repeaters, so i can have a zigbee mesh Network in my whole house.

So I save money, because i only have the conbee Stick and don‘t need a aqara, Hue, osram, Ikea, … Bridge.
All are connected in one zigbee Network and I don‘t have to think about the interference of what all the Bridges could bring.

So 40€ isn‘t really expensive.

1 Like

I think this is doing the same thing, but for much less money?

I don’t have and expirience with this.

Last update messed things up for me, my V2 gateway is not working anymore. Hassio keeps giving me an “invalid config” error for xiaomi-aquara

I can’t find this info in the link you provided, is there a video of this setup?

I managed to open the gateway, connected wires and tried to send the command over the serial port using raspberry pi. It did not change anything . Port 9898 still closed. I also could not find any video. I will try once more sending the command via putty but I need a usb buffer.
Meanwhile I have just received the USB dongle for the raspberry pi where I am running hassio. This dongle is basically a ZigBee gateway which converts sensor signals from ZigBee sensors and switches into mqtt signals.
I programmed the dongle (which cost me £8 from AliExpress) and managed to hook all switches and sensors into hassio. Finally!!!

If you want to use the xiaomi gateway it sounds like Xiaomi has closed the door for integration into hassio or other home assistant ecosystems.
You can still use the Mi App, going to China and back.
Personally I think I will stick with the USB dongle (see the link to AliExpress website). I can help you set it up as I did, if you decide to buy one.
You will need to use an add-on for Hassio (zigbee2mqtt) and then pair all sensors and switches to the dongle (this is a bit tricky but it works with the Xiaomi motion sensors, door sensors, mijia button which I have bought with the Xiaomi gateway)

Sorry, which link can’t you find?

These are the instructions in Italian to open port 9898

@echopage - Ho acquistato 2 Gateways Xiaomi (la prima è stato un mio errore perchè non avevo capito che il gateway compatibile con Homekit non funzionava con hassio).
Ho acquistato la seconda (Mijia) e la porta 9898 è chiusa anche in questa.
Ho aperto questa seconda gateway e ho saldato già TX, RX e GND, ma, nell’aprire le viti fantasmagoriche, la plastica interna dove si avvitano le viti ha ceduto per due delle tre viti, quindi, nel caso la programmazione con putty funziona, dovro’ incollare tutto.
Onestamente non ho avuto una bella esperienza con queste Gateway.

Mentre con £8 tutti i sensori Zigbee (finora ho solo quelli Xiaomi) li ho già programmati come entities in hassio e con Node Red riesco ad integrare i sensori di porte con termostato e il sensore di prossimità con le luci.

I keep getting:

C:\Windows\system32>nmap -Pn -sU 192.168.1.XXX -p 9898
Starting Nmap 7.70 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-05-25 19:06 Eastern Daylight Time
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.87 seconds

basically no hosts up, tried the italian and the original Hassio settings…

OK I got it working again.

I used the following settings:

xiaomi_aqara:
  discovery_retry: 10
  gateways:
    - mac: xxxxxxxxxxxx
      key: xxxxxxxxxx
      host: xxx.xxx.x.xxx

I managed to discover the second gateway (Works with Mijia) with your settings, using a temporary HomeAssistant running on a virtual environment.
The Gateway does not discover the Aqara door/window contacts nor the Aqara motion sensor which I have.
I still think I will stick with the USB Zigbee gateway, which works with all Zigbee sensors I have, and I will try buying an IKEA Tadfri, as it supports all sorts of different Zigbee components in Hassio, using zigbee2mqtt.

I use zwave mostly, I did also order the ZigBee stick from China as I’m going to test with curtains. I use the xiaomi gateway as a night light with my alarms motion sensor so it comes in handy. Going to also use it as a doorbell.