Xiaomi Aqara Confusion

Sorry, which link can’t you find?

These are the instructions in Italian to open port 9898

@echopage - Ho acquistato 2 Gateways Xiaomi (la prima è stato un mio errore perchè non avevo capito che il gateway compatibile con Homekit non funzionava con hassio).
Ho acquistato la seconda (Mijia) e la porta 9898 è chiusa anche in questa.
Ho aperto questa seconda gateway e ho saldato già TX, RX e GND, ma, nell’aprire le viti fantasmagoriche, la plastica interna dove si avvitano le viti ha ceduto per due delle tre viti, quindi, nel caso la programmazione con putty funziona, dovro’ incollare tutto.
Onestamente non ho avuto una bella esperienza con queste Gateway.

Mentre con £8 tutti i sensori Zigbee (finora ho solo quelli Xiaomi) li ho già programmati come entities in hassio e con Node Red riesco ad integrare i sensori di porte con termostato e il sensore di prossimità con le luci.

I keep getting:

C:\Windows\system32>nmap -Pn -sU 192.168.1.XXX -p 9898
Starting Nmap 7.70 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-05-25 19:06 Eastern Daylight Time
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.87 seconds

basically no hosts up, tried the italian and the original Hassio settings…

OK I got it working again.

I used the following settings:

xiaomi_aqara:
  discovery_retry: 10
  gateways:
    - mac: xxxxxxxxxxxx
      key: xxxxxxxxxx
      host: xxx.xxx.x.xxx

I managed to discover the second gateway (Works with Mijia) with your settings, using a temporary HomeAssistant running on a virtual environment.
The Gateway does not discover the Aqara door/window contacts nor the Aqara motion sensor which I have.
I still think I will stick with the USB Zigbee gateway, which works with all Zigbee sensors I have, and I will try buying an IKEA Tadfri, as it supports all sorts of different Zigbee components in Hassio, using zigbee2mqtt.

I use zwave mostly, I did also order the ZigBee stick from China as I’m going to test with curtains. I use the xiaomi gateway as a night light with my alarms motion sensor so it comes in handy. Going to also use it as a doorbell.

Can i get a definate answer are the majority of people bar unfortunately Giuseppe who sounds to have had a terrible time with this able to use a Mijia v2 hib with aqara accessories such as:

PIR motion sensor
door contact
xiaomi smart bulbs?

Thanks
Richard

I recently opened up the debug port of an Aqara hub by soldering onto the UART pins, with the hub being on the latest available firmware.

If you have multiple sensors, why not just get a 5euro zigbee usb stick and use zigbee2mqtt rather than the Xiaomi hub? You can bypass vendor lock-in that way :slight_smile: If I had known this was possible before I bought the hub, I probably would not have bought it. Now it’s a glorified light / light sensor.

1 Like

I think that is the reason the Xiaomi gateways are sold in bundles with the relative sensors, as well as pretending that using the gateway is the “only” way to make the sensors work.
The other problem of the gateway is that, once the USB zigbeeToMqtt stick with the TI chip is used and sensors are paired to the stick, the same sensors cannot be used with the Xiaomi gateway, and that makes the gateway a piece of junk, really.

You can use them with the gateway again if you reset and repair them with the gateway. done this whilst i was testing zigbee2mqtt and went back to the gateway.

But can you use the sensors with both gateway and ZigBee dongle? I mean, at the same time.

OF course not at the same time, they both act as coordinators for an individual zigbee network and there can only be one coordinator

Exactly. So, depending on the design of one’s homeassistant, if I am using hassio on a pi and am having issues with my gateway, I buy a ZigBee dongle which fixes the issue I had with my gateway, in the sense that I can use my sensors to interact with my other smart things in the house attached to hassio, I won’t have any reason for going back to using the gateway ever again.
This is what I meant.

Yep, the gateway can still be used as a radio/doorbell/light/luminosity sensor, so not totally useless :wink:

Understood. But if one wants to turn the TADFRI Ikea lights on/off or a SONOFF switch ON/OFF using the Xiaomi button connected to the Xiaomi Gateway, that is not possible, unless you bought the right Gateway (by luck) and if you have not upgraded the Gateway via the annoying Xiaomi Home app.

Whereas, with a $8 USB dongle you can control and use Zigbee buttons, switches across the brands, connect them via Home Assistant (whilst the Gateway, in this last case, does not play any role)

I need it for my roborock though, I don’t know if it is possible to use it without.

You can extract the local key from your roborock and then use HA to control it, though I don’t know if you have the full functionality (no realtime map, that’s for sure), you do not need the Xiaomi gateway for the Roborock as the vacuum works on WiFi. You only would need the Mi Home app.

I’m in the same boat, I use the gateway as night light together with its lumi sensor and an occupancy sensor and the zigbee usb stick for connectivity with other sensors, I had the roborock before all the other stuff and it works fine “standalone”.

Hi. Did that unit (DGNWG02LM) work with HA? I have one on the way with same part number. Been using a Raspbee but had random issues and it doesn’t pair with all my Xiaomi devices (e.g. smoke detector) or get all info from them into HA. Thought I would use the Xiaomi gateway - even if just to test stuff - which is when I tend to break HA.

just a short comment if it can help. (and a short question @ the end)

I stumbled on this thread because i was trying to find out what hub type of hub to get (for my parents house). Thanks to lonebaggie for clarifying. (Xiaomi Aqara Confusion)

I have 2 hubs for myself (I ran out of space on the first one. I have around 40 sensors).

they are both of the compatible type linked by @lonebaggie

I bought the first one in may 2018 and the second one in june 2019. I take that they are version 3, since they are identified by hassio as:

1. gateway_v3_miio123456789 (this one has 9 digits after miio)

2. gateway_v3_miio12345678 (this one has only 8 digits after miio)

I have set them up as described here: https://www.home-assistant.io/components/xiaomi_aqara/

Getting the key for the first one was a pain and took me a long time - the second one was easy - They have updated the xiaomi app so it is easy.

They both work well without any problems.

Question:
Does anybody know how the get the unit-number that @stuck refers to (DGNWG02LM) from the actual getway (or app). The shop where I got mine from does not display it.

/Peter