Xiaomi Aqara Confusion

Could you please link me to the hub model that you’ve just bought?

I’m aware that @lonebaggie clarified this but there is every chance that those links aren’t reliable anymore given how long ago they were posted.

@mattvolp and @varmluft (and anyone else interested)

Good news. I got the gateway last week and had no issues getting it and most of my devices integrated into HA - it took 5 min max to setup. A bit more to migrate some devices from Phoscan.
Here is the one I bought. Note the actual box is slightly different on the back to the photo in the listing. However it has the same product details etc.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32915845527.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.de254c4dndSkKu

In terms of getting it integrated into HA, it was very simple (as Peter has said). I followed the guide linked to from HA component. (https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Xiaomi_Gateway_(Aqara)#Adding_the_Xiaomi_Gateway_to_Domoticz). The additional menu settings in the Android App were already there (no need to tap the version). The protocol is now called “Wireless communication protocol” not LAN as in guide.

I then reserved the IP on my router, added the basic setup to the HA config and it was all talking. I also blocked the app from the internet (using my router’s parental controls). I use a simple HA automation to add new devices. It can take a while for new devices to show up in HA. I usually just restart HA and they all appear. Also the device names are generic so need to customise in HA.
The only thing I use the app for is some settings for devices such as making the gateway alarm with smoke alarms etc. Annoyingly the app won’t communicate with the devices unless connected to the internet so I need to disable parental controls while I set stuff up. I did update the gateway firmware to latest version (1.4.1_170.0158) - app sort of forces you to with popup.

One thing I have noticed is that the app is slow to report status changes. I thought this would be an issue with automations based on sensors, but it turns out it is just the app. State changes are almost instant.

I will probably migrate all my devices from raspbee/phoscan as it has caused some HA crashes and doesn’t give all the data from the mi devices that the gateway does. I don’t have other zigbee things at this stage.

Cheers, Stu

Hi Matt,

The first two I got from here: https://mackabler.dk/xiaomi-mijia-multi-funktion-gateway-536.html?q=xiaomi&s=0

I ordered a third one last week from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848464633.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77294c4dyARIMz

I have not received it yet, but i’ll let you know if it works like the other two I have.

/Peter

Hi all,

so the dgnwg02lm model works fine with HA?

The Aqara somehow works withe homekit controller integration…

Re the aqara gateway — can you confirm which one doesn’t work? I have one that I think is among the ‘doesn’t work’ group, but managed to get it going.

The one that shouldn’t work is the Aqara Gateway (all other ones are called Lumi Gateway). It is the only gateway with official Homekit Support.

Though this was monghts ago that I commented on this, It could be working now.
It might also work with the Homekit Controller, though I will advise anyone using the hubs as actual hubs to look at Zigbee2mqtt or deCONZ instead. The price of a Zigbee2mqtt stick is really cheap, and deCONZ (what I use) is a little bit more expensive than an aqara hub, but trust me it is well worth it. I use it for all my zigbee stuff, IKEA, Philips, Xiaomi. I can even use the philips hue dimmers to control my xiaomi switches (and even my sonoffs).

1 Like

Interesting… this is the one I got… https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32821192659.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dIBPUCZ the mechanism for putting it in to developer mode isn’t quite the same as most documentation shows (bought along with all aqara sensors from the same store but now I look back at the listing, it doesn’t say aqara on it…)

They can easily distinguished, the miija (or lumigateway) has concave circle (going outwards) and the aqara hub is convex (the center is bent a little inwards).

Interesting thread, i just bought an EU version of Mi Hateway v2 (not aqara) and cannot make it to work as at the app i cannot get the key (there is not any menu). As i searched ita because otlf EU version (GDPR matter).

Order the USB zigbee stick, hope will manage it to work.
Now thinking what to do with the gateway

Same here, got the EU version DGNWG05LM yesterday.
It even has an EU distinguisher on its SSID when in AP mode.

• The mi app was unable to discover it.
  • I tried sharing it to a second, chineese mi account, didnt work.
  • I even tried manual AP pairing, it wouldnt connect to the SSID with EU words in it.
  • Tried creating a wifi-ssid named exactly how the app wanted it, bypass the step that checks for ssid and then switching to the AP of the gateway and try to flash with no luck.
  • My HA detects a gateway but gives me a notification error like this:
The following components and platforms could not be set up:

* [xiaomi-aqara](https://home-assistant.io/integrations/xiaomi_aqara/)

Please check your config.

Is there any team working on a way to easily implement the EU version anytime soon?
Has anyone tried the soldering workaround to the EU version? although after reading this, i still dont understand how to get the code after sending the commands to open the port.
Or should i see if it’s possible to return it?

• Alternatively, i found a shop near me that sells a chinese set with the **DGNWG02LM ** can anyone confirm if that will work with HA (and the rest of the parts from the DGNWG05LM set?

I dont have the time luxury right now to get into the zigbee2mqtt game :frowning:

Considering I asked the question in November 2018 I think it’s fairly safe to say Xiaomi isn’t an easy install. Think I’ll go with the Shelly products, slightly more expensive but English speaking support and active facebook pages

I can confirm that Aqara USA and all its ecosystem are working in HA

Yesterday installed HA and Aqara was recognized, it all was working beautifully. Then next day, the light switch stop working…

Went into the logs and for some weird reason it was causing “something” with google home. Took out google home and boom came back the light switch. Perfect

I have not been able to get my Aqara Hub working by adding it in HA, you see all devices but are not able to configure anything but the HUB lightswitch and arm/disarm the build in alarm system.

After creating a Homekit connection in HA and making HA visible in Homekit and also connecting the Aqara Hub to Homekit I was able to configure the wireless switches in Homekit and connecting them to my Shelly 1 switches.

Everything works great now

Hi - I’m wondering if you could share how you got the M1S hub working in HA please? I have the M1S, and have paired a wireless switch with it, and linked it to HA via the “HomeKit Controller” integration (is this the one you used?), but the only entity that appears in HA is for the switch battery percentage. Nothing to do with clicks or action or anything.

Any help appreciated! G

Hi Jim.

I recently bought a Xiaomi Mijia Gateway 2 (lumi.gateway.v3) from this link: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10000273415054.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3d9163c0YXamle

But on the MI App doesn’t appear the dev mode…
Am looking for in multiples forums, documentation but nothing…
I have tried on iPhone and Android smartphone…

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Get an old version of the app. You must have android for that. If you don’t have an Android download an emulator like bluestacks, you can then just download an old version of the app from apkmirror.

Thanks for your answer Jim.

You know, I’m think to my problem is a little big. Mi Gateway has the MAC address started with: 7C:49:EB… and regarded to the documentation of “Xiaomi Gateway (Aqara)”… need to open and solder de famous cables to open the 9898 port.

“If your gateway’s MAC address starts with 04:CF:8C or 7C:49:EB , there is a good chance that the required port 9898 is closed on your gateway and thus, this method doesn’t work. There are workarounds available online, however this requires soldering and working with electricity.”

In other hand… when I try to connect in HA with Xiaomi Gateway (Aqara) integration… I think that not require the password any more… only need to be opened the 9898 port. That’s is the conclusion I being knowing.

Captura de pantalla 2021-03-09 093957

:frowning:

I’m running in to the same problem. I finally got my token via https://github.com/PiotrMachowski/Xiaomi-cloud-tokens-extractor so I thought I could get started. But now I see that I’ve got an Mac address starting with 7C:49:EB so I still can’t control it the way I want.

Hi @Bpasop. According to my research… in the last version of Xiaomi Gateway (Aqara) integration, there’s no need to token or password… the famous three dots … looking for the “about” on the Mi APP and tap on a blank space looking for to a secret menu and finally the password.
Obviously if you have the correctly Gateway… the only thing that you need is to open the 9898 port, only that… for do that… if your gateway’s MAC address starts with ‘04:CF:8C or ‘7C:49:E you need to do the soldier procedure… because the Xiaomi Gateway (Aqara) integration demands the 9898 port to be opened and no other thing… I repeat… only according whit my research.

I recommend you trying to use the Nmap command: nmap -p 9898 -Pn “your gateway IP” to look the state of your 9898 port.
I will try to do the solder cables thing and will find if I’m right or not.
Regards from Chile.