YABOS (Yet Another Bed Occupancy Sensor)

One thing that is REALLY handy to know for automating your home is if anyone or everyone is in bed. Based on this information you can turn off lights, decrease the thermostat temperature or close the window covers. Also you can turn on the lights at night if somebody gets up, probably because he wants to use the bathroom. Or if you have automatic windows, you can open them after everybody got up in order to air your room. Also think of arming your alarm system. There are endless possibilities.

Therefore I searched for a reliable and cheap solution in order to detect bed occupancy. There have been several cool approaches using load cells or strain gauges but since I had some very cheap ultrasonic sensors laying around, I decided to try using them. The idea was to attach the sensor to the slatted frame of the bed pointing downwards to the floor. So whenever somebody lays into bed the frames would bend and the distance between the frame and the floor would decrease. With some simple sensors in Home Assistant I would then be able to detect if the bed is occupied or not. I attached the ultrasonic sensor to a Wemos D1 Mini, hacked some yaml for ESPhome and gave it a try. And here is the result of the measured distance values:

actually I wanted to add an image here but since I’m a new user I can only post one image :sob:

As you can see, the tracking is very good. If I’m not in bed, the distance to the floor is about 25 cm and if I’m in bed a little less than 23 cm.
Here you can see the binary sensor that tracks the occupancy state based on the ultrasonic sensor state.

I’ve been using this solution for more than three months now and it is really very reliable. I also built a second one for my wife’s side of the bed and this also works like a charm even though she is much more lightweight than me :slight_smile:
In a second step I also added a BME280 sensor (temperature, air pressure, humidity) to the board in order to track these values as well. Currently I don’t do any automations based on them.

Here is my yaml file:

esphomeyaml:
  name: bed_husband
  platform: ESP8266
  board: d1_mini

wifi:
  ssid: 'top'
  password: 'secret'

mqtt:
  broker: '192.168.x.x'
  username: 'top'
  password: 'secret'

i2c:
  sda: D2
  scl: D1

# Enable logging
logger:

ota:

sensor:
  - platform: ultrasonic
    trigger_pin: D7
    echo_pin: D8
    name: "Ultrasonic Sensor Bed Husband"
    update_interval: 2s
    accuracy_decimals: 5
    filters:
      - filter_nan:
      - sliding_window_moving_average:
          window_size: 20
          send_every: 4
      - lambda: if(x > 0.18) return x;
  - platform: bme280
    temperature:
      name: "Temperature Bedroom"
    pressure:
      name: "Air Pressure Bedroom"
    humidity:
      name: "Humidity Bedroom"
    address: 0x76
    update_interval: 240s

Note that I calculate a sliding average of the measured distance values in order to eliminate noise. Also I send the distance data very frequently, because I want my automations to trigger instantaneously if I need them to (e.g. switching on the light in the corridor if I get up at night).

And here is my binary_sensor:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      husband_in_bed:
        value_template: >-
          {{ states('sensor.ultrasonic_sensor_bed_husband')|float < 0.24 and states('sensor.ultrasonic_sensor_bed_husband')|float > 0.18 }}
        friendly_name: 'Husband is napping'

A few remarks at the end:

• if you want to implement this, consider things that could potentially get under your bed and trigger false positives. For me this is my vacuum cleaner robot, so I only trigger actions (like turning on the lights) if the robot is docked.
  • this might not work if you have carpet under your bed, since the ultrasonic signal has to be reflected by a solid surface in order for the sensor to work reliably.
  • if you are very sensitive, you MIGHT hear the ultrasonic which might influence your sleep. For my wife and me this is not an issue.

I’m curious what you think of this project and if you have any ideas for improvements or cool automations!

9 Likes

bookmarking this for later. I’ve got a few US sensors laying around that need a purpose.

I’ll have to check and see if my bed slats move that much.

Cool idea!
Thinking of a sensor when it goes up and down. :rofl:

2 Likes

another cool use case for ultrasonic sensors is measuring filling levels inside a tank (e.g. oil for your heating system or rain water for irrigating your plants).

that’s always the first thing people think of if I tell them about this project :joy:
let’s write a custom component or sensor platform that determines one’s “quality” based on the measured distance changes :rofl:

4 Likes

This is a very interesting application of an ultrasonic sensor, and I had high hopes for it, but there is no part of my king-sized bed that deflects 2 centimeters!

Firm mattress + boxspring + hardwood slats = virtually no detectable deflection

In my case, the only thing with sufficient sensitivity would be a strain-gauge glued to a slat or a load-cell under the end of a slat (or under all four of the bed’s feet … but that would require sturdy load-cells).

(I’ve ruled out pressure-sensitive mats for various reasons.)

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing your project.

yeah, that’s a very good point! Should have taken that into my list of things to consider.

So as far as a parts list goes I’d need:

• Wemos D1 Mini
  • Power supply for it
  • Cheap Ultrasonic sensor (any I presume?)
  • BME280 sensor if I want to get really clever?

Could you put two US’s on the same D1 Mini and still have pins for the BME280? (to keep power requirements simpler and not tying up yet another plug socket)
I’ve not done any proper electronics work yet but this looks like a great first project when I get chance.

I use two HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensors. You can get them very cheaply on eBay. I guess you could use only one Wemos D1 Mini for the two ultrasonic sensors and one BME 280.

Similar setup here, reading every post I can find, lol.
@123 How did you solve your bed sensor?

I never pursued this project. If I ever do, I will probably use load cells or strain-gauges.