Yale Z-Wave Module 2 and USB Z Wave stick?

I definitely think that is the case — can’t remember where I read it when I initially configured by Z-Wave stick (2+ years ago) but distance is definitely a factor.

Now that I understand that the config is stored on the stick, I just span up another instance of Z-Wave JS on my MacBook — configured the locks on that, then reconnected to my server.

Meanwhile; hit an issue, not sure if anyone else has clocked this. If the lock jams, it creates a new binary sensor for “Access Control”, which, for some reason knocks off the battery sensor.

Fix seems to be re-interviewing the Conexis, and then restarting Home Assistant. :man_shrugging:t3:

Really loving the code for this. There’s me assuming I could use the sensor.unlocked_by.yaml code for several users. Hoping you can help. More than three. Based on the automations on your github I am able to get the Unlock by lovelace cards to update according to the users unlock time and date. The issue is the sensor.unlocked_by code will only change for the first two entries. Ie. Kevin and Vicky. It wouldn’t work for any of the others. Any ideas what I could do here? (PS. I have added all combinations for which user date/time is greater for. Kind Regards.

Thank you
Are you sure you are capturing the user code number correctly, I ask because you say its picking the others up correctly.

Also the unlock by whom and time needs to check the greater condition against every key. Notice the names are checked twice
Is Davids time greater than vickys
Is Davids time greater than spare

Seeing as Z-Wave JS has supported S2 security for sometime now, has anyone re-paired their Conexis using S2 security? Curious to see if anyone has seen any latency or battery improvements?

Unfortunately, my dongle has firmware 4.36 so does not support S2 (there’s an upgrade path, but requires grounding pins, etc.) — seeing if there is any benefit or me cracking the device open first :wink:

As I understood it, the Z-Wave JS Add-on has only supported S2 security for a couple of weeks, as of the 0.1.41 release (maybe this is different if you’re using Z-Wave JS to MQTT), and Home Assistant Core has only officially supported this for two days, since the 2012.10.0 release?

I have just updated both the Add-on and HA Core today and am planning on removing and re-adding my Conexis at some point (when I can set aside some time in case of issues, maybe this weekend) to use S2 security, as, in theory, it should be lighter on resources and hence battery.

Out of interest, what dongle are you using and how do you find out if your dongle supports S2 and which firmware version is required. I have an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+ with firmware 1.1.

Yeah, I’m disregarding the HA S2 support as it’s just a frontend for the Z-Wave JS service; 2021.10 just brings in the necessary URIs to facilitate S2 inclusion.

You can get the FW from the zwavejs2mqtt interface (if used) under the “FW” column. Otherwise, HA reports this same value on the device page for the Z-Wave controller.

Dongle wise — I’ve got a run-of-the-mill, white-labelled HZBUSB stick that I picked up a few years back off eBay for little more than a fiver. It’s been rock solid for the price, and could be upgraded to the latest v6.xx firmware for S2 if I can be arsed to faff :sweat_smile:

Tempted to try, and if it knackered, just pick up a Z-Stick 7.

Just a heads up. I’ve been using one of these for a couple of years and it would sometimes beep when it rains (the conexis L1) - I contacted Yale and they sent a firmware update via a dongle in the post - free of charge. I am now running firmware 1.2.0 (check your app) so if you have issues with rain and beeping, give them a ring. It’s all free.

(FYI I’m using Vera as my Z-Wave hub, works really well)

I’ve edited out my initial post as I am not sure it made any sense. and after reading the entire thread and trying for hours to get my Yale Conexis L1 Gen 2 module to pair with my Aeotec Gen5+ to be honest nothing makes sense anymore I have got myself completely confused. Everything changes so quickly trying to find up to date info is hard. Home assistant is latest 2021-10 I am using the Z-wave JS add on and in integrations Manage JS network it says network connected with a big green tick, when I click add device it doesn’t give me the option of a secure install circle just spins and eventually times out. Ive push the button on the lock 3 times to exclude then 3 time to start pairing Ive tried every combination possible all within 3 foot of the lock. I am doing something wrong…someone help and go through the process as if your explaining it to someone that is thick (because i must be lol) so i can understand .

Edit-: I have HAOS running on a Intel nuc

Thanks to anyone that can help

Am I supposed to add anything in the configuration yaml ?

I’ve given up for now trying to add this lock really need some guidance.

For secure inclusion, you need to go into “Advanced inclusion” when adding a device — the option is present in the dialog that appears when clicking “Add Device” from the Z-Wave JS Configuration page.

You’ll need to have the Z-Wave USB dongle close to the lock to pair correctly. As the configuration is stored within the USB device itself, you can spin up an instance of Z-Wave JS on a laptop and use that, before moving it back to the actual Home Assistant server.

Once near the device, enable inclusion mode in Z-Wave JS either via the zwavejs2mqtt interface or Home Assistant, and enable secure inclusion via the method described above. If you have the Yale Z-Wave 2 module (blue), you can use S2 security, otherwise use S0 for the first-generation module (green).

Once Z-Wave JS is in inclusion mode; press the “R” button on your Conexis 3 times within 1.5 seconds to enable it’s inclusion — it should make a “beep boop beep” sound. If inclusion times out, it’ll flash red and emit a “beep beep beep” sound.

If the module isn’t new, and bought second hand, you may have to reset it first before it can be included. This can be done by holding the handle of the door up, whilst pressing the “R” button 3 times within 3 seconds. Again, if successful, it’ll make the “beep boop beep” sound.

Nothing is required in configuration.yaml.

In addition to the instructions that @jamie_shaw kindly provided, I would also check in the Z-Wave JS add-on configuration section to make sure that you have security keys in each of the entries. If this is your first Z-Wave device, to make sure you are starting with a clean slate, I would suggest you reset the controller as well as the Conexis module. Follow Jamie’s instructions for resetting the module. The instructions for the Aeotec stick are available here.

Thanks for your help guys, been trying for the last couple of hours. I wasn’t using z-wave2mqtt after loading that i was getting the advanced option when searching for a new device got all excited when it found something but said not in secure mode it turned out to be the Aqara door sensor that is on the same door as the lock, try as i may all that comes up is that door sensor. In z-wave2mqtt is there anything there i need to do in settings. Z-wave JS has all the security keys my Aeotrc shows up. Couple of times when adding a new device its asked for a 5 digit pin no idea what that is.

Ohh when i say ive been trying for a couple of hours in reality most of the day lol Just as well Im an old fart and retired aye, maybe thats the trouble I’m an old fart.

Any other suggestions’ welcome.

Not sure why the Aqara sensor is being picked up by the Z-Wave module — Aqara is ZigBee, which is not only an entirely different protocol but runs on a different frequency altogether.

As for the 5-digit PIN — it’s the first five digits on the blue Z-Wave module. They’re underlined.

Thanks again Jamie I’ve found the code, I’ll have another go at this tomorrow.

Lock is now showing in Home Assistant thank you Jamie and Robert I got there in the end -:smile:

Hi all. I’m brand new to Home Assistant, and am trying to add my Conexis L1 lock, which will be my first Z-Wave device. It’s currently not appearing, but I’ve gleaned from this thread that the first step is to move my RaspPi closer to the door.

@jamie_shaw, you mentioned using an instance of Z-Wave JS on a laptop instead, to make things easier. How do I do that? Do I have to install HomeAssistant first, or can I somehow just run Z-Wave JS on its own?

I don’t really understand most of the rest of the thread, but hopefully I’ll be able to get the lock recognised first, then tackle all of the scripting wizardry later!

The actual configuration (paired devices, etc.) is contained within the Z-Wave USB stick itself; the Z-Wave JS software just acts as the driver; pulling device information from the internet and providing an interface for issuing commands/monitoring status.

You can spin up Z-Wave JS (or more easily, zwavejs2mqtt, as it has a web-based UI) on any machine and connect your Z-Wave USB to that temporarily. Just ensure you use the same encryption keys between your two Z-Wave JS instances during setup.

Move the laptop (and stick) close to pair, and once complete, move the stick over to your RPi.

Hi Jamie. Thanks for your reply. However, I am still not sure where to start!
I have a Windows laptop. Is there a zwavejs2mqtt.exe that I download and install? Do I navigate to a zwave2mqtt.html site somewhere? I have found the github page, but it seems to be referring to linux stuff?

Ok, whilst waiting for help on using a laptop, I’ve dug out my 10 metre ethernet cable, moved the R-Pi, and the Husbzb dongle is now hanging over the door handle. I’ve done a local reset of the Yale module, and in Z-Wave JS → ADD DEVICE, I’ve selected Secure if possible. When I put the door into inclusion mode, then search for the device, nothing happens (apart from another double-triple beep from the door, after a minute or so).
Any ideas?

Some questions, and apologies if these seem basic/stupid, just trying to troubleshoot the situation:

1. The Conexis lock has a Z-Wave module, is this the first (green) module or second (blue) generation module?
  2. Was the module purchased new, or second hand?
  3. Has the lock been configured with a master user via the app?
  4. Can the HZBUSB can be seen by the RPi as a USB device?
  5. Is Z-Wave JS is installed and running on the RPi, and can connect to the HZBUSB?
  6. Is Z-Wave JS configured with all four encryption keys (albeit the HZBUSB is S0 security only, I believe)
  7. Home Assistant is connected to Z-Wave JS via MQTT or WebSocket?
  8. Do you have any existing paired Z-Wave devices, or is this the first on a factory condition HZBUSB?
  9. What version of HA and Z-Wave JS are you running?

In regards to your local reset of the module, do you get the “Beep boop beep” sound, or does nothing happen? I noticed recently that one of my two locks fails to reset the module – I suspect the door’s internal mechanism cannot lift the handle high enough for the lock to trigger the reset (but it’s fine for triggering the door lock command).

I had to swap the two modules between the doors, and reset against the other lock (before moving back to the original lock).