Yale Z-Wave Module 2 and USB Z Wave stick?

No worries - Basic/stupid probably sums me up at the moment anyway! :slight_smile:

1. Blue
  2. Amazon Warehouse, so “used, like new”. I bought 2 actually, but I get the same (lack of) results with both. It’s definitely possible the module are both faulty, but I’d like to eliminate everything else before I buy another, new, one.
  3. Yes. I’ve been using it in Bluetooth mode without any problems for a few years now.
  4. Yes, it was seen straight away when I plugged it in, and I just clicked on the configure button to set up Zigbee then Z-Wave.
  5. Yes, I believe so. I now have the Z-wave JS add on showing in Supervisor, and seems to be running, as far as I can tell.
  6. If I select Re-Configure server, and agree to use the Supervisor add-on, I see 4 long alphanumeric strings. I guess that’s what you mean?
  7. I have no idea about this one. How would I know?
  8. No other Z-Wave devices so far.
  9. Core-2021.10.6, Supervisor-2021.10.0 and Z-Wave JS 0.1.45

I do get the triple-bleep when doing the reset.
I didn’t realise the HZBUSB didn’t support S2. Might that be the reason it can’t connect? And even if not, should I get a different Z-Wave stick which does support S2?

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Bit of misunderstanding myself as I’m running HASS as a Python virtualenv away from Supervisor, so I’m assuming the connection between HA and Z-Wave JS is handled automatically — the docs read that way.

I wouldn’t worry about S2 — I recently upgraded from an HZBUSB to a Z-Stick 7 (hence my knowledge around the pairing side, did all this for two locks in the past few weeks :sweat_smile:) and can’t really tell much difference. The second-generation Z-Wave module will still work with S0 security just fine.

The pairing interface through zwavejs2mqtt (in my setup) will ask for S0 or S2 security, and I believe, fallback on failure of S2. I did notice that my old HZBUSB would connect via S2 and ask for the DSK despite not being able to support it, but that was after it’d actually found the Conexis.

When attempting inclusion through HA, might be worth trying hitting the “Advanced inclusion” options from the “Add Device” dialog, and opting for “Legacy Secure”, forcing it to use S0 security.

Two more questions — can you see the HZBUSB controller as a device in the Z-Wave devices list, I don’t know how far Supervisor-based Z-Wave JS goes to handle all of the installation. I know in my setup, you have to manually select the device from /dev/.

And finally — during the reset, do you get the beep after pressing the button 3 times, or after a delay. I found that I got it instantly after hitting the button 3 times denoting the reset. My back door lock, that had issues resetting the module, would time out or emit the beep-beep-beep after pressing the button again. (Rather than resetting, the lock was in “Exclusion” mode, and the fourth press, cancelling out of it).

Hi Jamie

There’s no difference when trying legacy secure - it searches for a while, and eventually both the door and then the search time out.
Yes, the HZBUSB shows up as (the only) device in the Z-Wave JS integration.
And yes, the door beeps immediately I try the local reset.

Do you have any other ideas? Or am I down to purchasing another Yale module?

I would still be interested in trying this using a latpop too, if you can point me in the right direction. It would save me powering down and moving the R-Pi each time.

Thanks again.

Nick

Well then, I’m stumped. It could just be a faulty module…

As for the laptop route, I can’t give much information as I’m a Mac user. I believe there is a Docker container you can spin up, but I’m not sure if you’ll hit issues access the device. I know with Mac/Windows having to use a Linux VM, they don’t have native access to USB devices.

Hmm. So I guess now I either have to buy another Yale module, another Z-wave hub, or perhaps another Z-wave sensor to check where the fault is.
It is tempting to blame the modules, since they have been returned to Amazon once already, but just before I do, I understand that Z-Wave hubs are regionalised? Is there a way to confirm that I have a UK HZBUSB? Can I interrogate it in Home Assistant, or can I tell by looking at the serial number printed on it?

I might try using my other Conexis lock, too, if I can get the ethernet cable to reach that far!

Z-Wave operates on different frequencies for different locales.

The EU uses 868.42 MHz – this should be printed on both the modules and the stick itself.

I don’t see anything like that on either the modules or the stick. Can it be read in software somehow?

Not that I’m aware of. Is there a model number on the HZBUSB, sometimes they have a character denoting the region format…

The module will most certainly be EU, as they use a different module type/shape in the US.

(Just checking zwavejs2mqtt — there’s certainly nothing in the JSON output for the device configuration that specifies the frequency).

(I blanked out the last few digits of the serial no. Not sure whether it is safe to upload that in full)

Having a quick Google — I think that might be the issue.

It seems that the HUSBZB is pretty much designed for the US only, especially as there are no EU certification markings on the device. It’s not signed off for EU radio frequencies; which would explain why it cannot “see” the Conexis modules.

I’d take a punt and say that yes, you need to pick up a EU region stick. The downside is that if you currently have any ZigBee devices configured, you’re going to need a ZigBee stick too.

Cheers Jamie. When I contacted the seller to ask whether this stick was suitable for use in the EU, they just immediately refunded me, so I guess not!
I’ve ordered an Aeotec Z-stick Gen5+. Hopefully that will be more successful!

Appreciate your help.

Nick

I’m experiencing an oddity, where the unlock function works fine, however once the Conexis is unlocked, it becomes unresponsive, only recovering once the auto-lock relocks, or the door is manually relocked.
Therefore it’s never possible to lock the Conexis via z-wave.

Has anyone else experienced this? TIA!

2021-11-29_17-06-54

Hey @zxdavb @jamesking @jamie_shaw

I have been reading your posts on here about the module 2. I have just got the zwave module 2 and the yale keyless connected lock. I managed to install everything etc and I am running zwavejs2mqtt on a docker.

When I tried to add the module 2 to my zwavejs2mqtt instance I am asked to provide a 5 digit pin which can be found on the manual of the lock//module 2. However I cannot find this and even though the lock is added successfully I cannot control it whatsoever.

Can you guys please help me?

Also my NUC where I am running zwavejs2mqtt and my lock is around 10m distance so I am not sure if the distance could be an issue. I am using aeotec zstick gen 5+.

The DSN is on the module itself, it’s the first five digits on the front, should be underlined.

Thanks all sorted it works on HA and zwavejs2mqtt. However the keyless lock doesn’t open the nightlatch anymore. It’s weird was working 5mins ago and now even if I use the mastercode or a user code the nightlatch wouldn’t open using the yale keyless lock.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Quick question: when you open the night latch from inside does the status of the keyless lock change to open?

I don’t have a Keyless. Two Conexis.

Ah right !

I have one, and no it doesn’t.

1 Like

Recently installed a Conexis L1 myself and integrated in to HA via ZWaveJS v0.1.51 (with Aeotec Z-Stick 7).

Following a bit of research on this thread, I enabled the ‘alarmType’ and ‘alarmLevel’ entities. I have noticed a clue of things in my setup:

1. I appear to get correct values for the ‘alarmType’ (i.e. 144 for RFID, 16 for Yale App, etc) but the ‘alarmLevel’ sensor doesn’t change when using different RFID keys.

2. Binary sensor for the lock status doesn’t change when unlocked by the Yale App. I know this could worked around by using the ‘alarmType’ value of 16 as a trigger.

3. Sometimes neither the binary sensor nor the ‘alarmType’ sensor update when the indoor, mechanical twist knob is used to unlock the door. I’m assuming this is a lock problem though, to do sleep / wake-up times or something.

None of these are deal-breakers, but slightly frustrating.

Anybody else have these issues? Not sure if I should raise an issue if it’s a localised issue with my setup.

1 Like