Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

I just realised I used the example setup for piper and had a dutch voice loaded. I have changed to en-gb-southern_english_female-low but still piper is greyed out…

To answer your return question, yes I did, was following this post a year ago when WHisper and Piper were not the route on youtube to follow then it was Rhasppy, so I bought a for me expensive conference speaker and wanted to start, then came Whisper and Piper, the wizards of HA decided that would be the route.
And yes Rhasspy 3 will work with the Wyoming protocol, stil that does not answer my questions, nor your return question did, for how will they work together, do I still need whisper/Piper or can I go with Rhasspy and install the wyoming protocol via add-ons?

So I think my question has not been answered still not clear what way to commence!

Plus the other question was is it possible to put all the Voice stuff in one Yaml file, or the intents only for when there are a lot of integrations and entities you like to control your COnfiguration. yaml will get heavily cluttered, I like to decentralise all things from Configuration.yaml, way more structured, way easier to edit and find if you want to add or edit, and if one edit goes wrong only that one will be bricked not your whole HA.

You should be able to put all the intents into 1 or more separate files as you can do with any other yaml-based integration: Splitting up the configuration - Home Assistant

I made the same error, after a restart it works now!

1 Like

I had the problem to, reloading the Wyoming Protocol integration is faster.
sorry my configuration is in Dutch

1 Like

I think we need to talk about hardware.

Tell me please. In order for the assistant to say what is the temperature in the room, you need to create an alias for the sensor? Or after the update, he knows how to understand the question himself and access the temperature sensor for data and output the answer.

You need to ask the question in the accepted format although there is an outstanding issue related to this Assist not picking up get temperature in area intent · Issue #1351 · home-assistant/intents · GitHub

But in English a currently working example is “What is the INSERT AREA NAME temperature” This assumes in that area you have a device of class “temperature”.

1 Like

Tried to install today and have exactly the same issue. Medium gives a 404. Small is fine.

There is no medium, only medium-int8

Is medium-int8 meant to be the fastest model available currently? Still rather slow on my 8 core system, although I suspect the docker container is only using 2 cores max.

Ah, the documentation is inaccurate then.

1 Like

higher = more accurate, lower=faster/lowever compute so medium-int8 would be the slowest but most accurate.

It’s the most accurate, but performances are not good, indeed, currently.

Whisper: performances in self-hosted for French - Configuration / Voice Assistant - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I wonder what is the Nabu Casa setup…

I believe they recommend starting with tiny-int8

Ah, I see. I switched to small-int8 and it now takes ~5s usually.

I find that the “Home assistant cloud” (Nabu Casa) with Google assistant works really well.
It is fast and accurate and can be called hands free with “OK Google”
I don’t want to use it permanently now that I am retired though because I don’t want to pay $65US per year just so I can be hands free with “Assist”

1 Like

I was getting ~15 seconds with medium (too long in my opinion)
I tried tiny and get ~5 seconds but not very good accuracy
Now testing small and getting ~5 seconds and so far haven’t got “I don’t understand”
Crossing my fingers that small -int8 with be the answer for me.

Edit: I might need to change the name of my “Nook” Lights though

This didn’t initially work for me but creating an alias worked.
(This is done within settings of the entity under “voice assistants”)
With an alias “Lounge Temperature” the question “What is the lounge temperature” works

Was there any special characters in the area name?