Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

Tried to install today and have exactly the same issue. Medium gives a 404. Small is fine.

There is no medium, only medium-int8

Is medium-int8 meant to be the fastest model available currently? Still rather slow on my 8 core system, although I suspect the docker container is only using 2 cores max.

Ah, the documentation is inaccurate then.

1 Like

higher = more accurate, lower=faster/lowever compute so medium-int8 would be the slowest but most accurate.

It’s the most accurate, but performances are not good, indeed, currently.

Whisper: performances in self-hosted for French - Configuration / Voice Assistant - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I wonder what is the Nabu Casa setup…

I believe they recommend starting with tiny-int8

Ah, I see. I switched to small-int8 and it now takes ~5s usually.

I find that the “Home assistant cloud” (Nabu Casa) with Google assistant works really well.
It is fast and accurate and can be called hands free with “OK Google”
I don’t want to use it permanently now that I am retired though because I don’t want to pay $65US per year just so I can be hands free with “Assist”

1 Like

I was getting ~15 seconds with medium (too long in my opinion)
I tried tiny and get ~5 seconds but not very good accuracy
Now testing small and getting ~5 seconds and so far haven’t got “I don’t understand”
Crossing my fingers that small -int8 with be the answer for me.

Edit: I might need to change the name of my “Nook” Lights though

This didn’t initially work for me but creating an alias worked.
(This is done within settings of the entity under “voice assistants”)
With an alias “Lounge Temperature” the question “What is the lounge temperature” works

Was there any special characters in the area name?

No. The sensor’s area was “Lounge”

Incidentally, I created multiple aliases for my AC units too so different commands work.
e.g. Living Room AC, Living Room AirCon, Living Area Aircon and Living Area AC are all for the same entity.

Could be worth looking at the previous issues on GitHub to see if something explains the need for an alias, especially if you are saying the alias is the same as the area name. I know there were some limitations if you had a bunch of entities with the same friendly name. If you can’t explain it then I would open an issue.

No, the area is, for example, Lounge
The alias I created is, for example, “Lounge Temperature”
So my command would be
“What is [ALIAS NAME]”

“What is the lounge temperature “ should have worked unless there was another entity with friendly name lounge temperature (as I understand it)

I do have one device with two entities with friendly name = Lounge but not Lounge Temperature
Name = Lounge, Entity = sensor.temperature_158d0002e20b44, Area = Lounge
Name = Lounge, Entity = sensor.humidity_158d0002e20b44, Area = Lounge
Maybe that is the problem.
Never mind, the aliases work great anyway.
Thanks for your input.

Would it be possible to have a HA app on IOS/Android so you do not need the HTTPS: certificate? For people only wanting to truly run HA locally without opening ports to the internet.

That’s the plan. Integrating it into the companion app should not have the same SSL requirement as web browsers.

1 Like

That would be awesome, waiting for it… even if it takes a year.

1 Like