Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

Is there a place to manually find the esphome yaml file so I can integrate it like all my other esphome devices? Update, change, etc.? Or will that be done by this script?

+1 for support for two way audio using VoIP!! ;:wink:

3 Likes

@tipofthesowrd

thanks a lot. that worked.

I love it!
Include a BLE tracker for room presence detection as well as cabled (magnetic?) recharging and you’re golden.

1 Like

Is there any chance of hooking up other existing devices with a voice assistant interface? (Such as Sonos, which are not owned by one of the big players in the voice assistant market)

This would mean quality hardware people might already have, and the privacy of Home Assistant.

7 Likes

I like the way forward. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, until even typed commands (here German language) is not doing, what I’m expecting (or what is described or at least how I’m understanding it) in terms of “rules” of sentence spoken, etc. it’s hard to go this way further.

Is there a dedicated thread/entry/… for such problems/questions regarding the commands, etc, where they are not overlokked if hidden in release-threads, etc?

1 Like

I second this with the variation of wanting to use Denon Home speakers. However they are Google assistant and Amazon compatible as far as I know, so maybe they are already locked up?

I have similar problems… Can’t even ask assist what the temperature is in my rooms despite me having sensors everywhere. As far as I understand the command was designed for thermostats, but my sensors also know the temperature, so why am I not able to use these?

I have a bunch of Google Nest Mini (2nd Generation) at home. It would be amazing if I could flash the existing chip with custom (ESPHome?) firmware, or break it open and somehow attach a different (ESP-based?) microcontroller to the existing speaker array and power supply.

6 Likes

Wow … a lot to unpack there.
So for those of us who are doing this all locally without the HA cloud subscription (and I’m possibly a bit slow on the uptake) do we need all of these components … ie do we need the Piper and Whisper add ons and the Wyoming integration, plus whatever voice input/output device such as the M5Stack Echo or VOIP integration ?

I am thinking the same about my alexas… kill them and bring them alive with an esp… reuse speaker and mic…

3 Likes

It would be great if it was possible to connect bluetooth headsets/speakers to Home Assistant through ESP32 or other bluetooth bridge. This would open up multiple hardware solutons for TTS and/or STT.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t get my hands on an m5stack echo in the short term. I was wondering if it would be possible to use an Ai thinker Esp32-A1s audio kit, which I have lying around.

There are two microphones, buttons and an audio out on it. Does anybody have experience with this?

5 Likes

Is it possible to exclude the automation domain from things that assist can control? I have some automations with similar names to lights. Assist has a habit of turning off my automations!

2 Likes

Will it be possible to activate the microphones by voice?
For example, I can turn on the light directly with a button and I don’t have to activate the microphone with a button and then use my voice.
Without activating the microphone, it would lose its meaning.

2 Likes

This was discussed in the livestream; not part of current developments but they are looking into it.

JARVIS ? we need the ultimate computer ORAC !

2 Likes

My compose file:

piper:
    container_name: piper
    image: rhasspy/wyoming-piper
    ports:
      - "10200:10200"
    volumes:
      - /path/data:/data
    command: "--voice en-gb-southern_english_female-low"
    restart: unless-stopped

Which works fine

With all this native support, it would be cool if the Home Assistant Android app would let you set it as the system voice assistant. I don’t have Google Assistant enabled for privacy reasons, but this I would use!

9 Likes

Just use the core beta and setup the wyoming integration pointed at port 10200

1 Like