Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

This so much this…

Have you looked at the wake word engine from espressif (WakeNet)?

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-sr/en/latest/esp32/wake_word_engine/README.html

1 Like

We have. It works well, but you have to pay them for any customization: Espressif Speech Wake-up Solution Customization Process - ESP32-S3 - — ESP-SR latest documentation

3 Likes

@synesthesiam, is piper planned to support other arch in the future? I noticed the only image currently is for arm64.

Thanks!

Excellent progress, and such a wide set of options from ESP32 speakers to VoIP!

Are there any plans to create an Android solution so that those using tablets or Sonoff NSPanel Pros (or Tuya T6E screens) can interact using voice? Something like a background app that listens for a wake word and feeds your words into HA Assist? My guess is that there may already be a Tasker-based solution that I’m unaware of, though.

1 Like

Piper supports both amd64 (x86_64) and arm64. The images should support both architectures as well. Where are you seeing otherwise?

1 Like

look also many years for such a badge

Sorry, maybe I need to be more specific. I run a NAS server with arm7 architecture.

I have published some interesting content that I believe will be useful for going forward with Voice in OpenAI powered assistant. But don’t care about the name.

You see what will be cool for a voice assistant to do.

Let’s say you’re cooking dinner and you run out of a key ingredient. If your Home Assistant is integrated with Grocy, no problem! Just ask your to suggest a substitute, or even offer up a recipe that uses the ingredients you have on hand. And if you’re feeling extra lazy, your it can even order takeout for you.

1 Like

Great updates.

Is the Grandstream GS-HT802 (2 lines) also supported on the new VoIP integration? Would both lines be connected direct to home assistant or could one be free for regular VoIP?

Why can’t the large model be used for whisper? Unfortunately, for languages other than English, smaller models are very inaccurate and make it unusable.

I have a brunch of wall mounted old tablets running the companion app. Those all have microphones! Is there a chance we can get the companion app to do some of this listening?

8 Likes

There is a Rhasspy Android App (obviously without active development)

This works great with rhasspy, so i guess sooner or later something like this will be native in home assistant companion.
Would love it! Also as media Player.
But i’m also fine with the MPD App
ESPHome als MediaPlayer / Assist Satellites. That’s great as well!

3 Likes

So, I can call Home Assistant on a phone…can it ring the receiver for notifications?

3 Likes

I think I missed something from the video. Could someone give me an explanation considering that I could have done just the stupidest mistake ever?
I installed Piper and Whisper. They both triggered the integration “configure” button and clicking on it went fine as expected. I went on enabling both for the default assistant and the “try voice” command form the bottom of the TTS box let me get the nice playback of what I wrote in the box.
I still cannot make the assistant answer me with a TTS response along with the text one I obviously got until now when I asked “turn on the living room main light”. Even if the light does indeed get on.
What didn’t I understand? What is the setting that enables the voice response that the video shows in the 13:00 demo?

Why is this when I want to install piper? Is above only available next month?
You are running Home Assistant 2023.4.6, to update to this version of the add-on you need at least version 2023.5.0.dev20230418 of Home Assistant

I flashed an M5 and its in HA:

But I get a red light and following logging:

Using 'COM12' as serial port.
Showing logs:
[21:13:30][D][binary_sensor:036]: 'Button': Sending state ON
[21:13:30][D][voice_assistant:065]: Requesting start...
[21:13:30][W][voice_assistant:067]: Could not request start.
[21:13:30][D][light:035]: 'M5Stack Atom Echo a63938' Setting:
[21:13:30][D][light:046]:   State: ON
[21:13:30][D][light:058]:   Red: 100%, Green: 0%, Blue: 0%
[21:13:30][D][binary_sensor:036]: 'Button': Sending state OFF
[21:13:30][D][voice_assistant:073]: Signaling stop...
[21:13:31][D][light:035]: 'M5Stack Atom Echo a63938' Setting:
[21:13:31][D][light:046]:   State: OFF
[21:13:31][D][api:102]: Accepted 192.168.1.142
[21:13:31][D][api.connection:961]: Home Assistant 2023.4.6 (192.168.1.142): Connected successfully
[21:13:45][D][binary_sensor:036]: 'Button': Sending state ON
[21:13:45][D][voice_assistant:065]: Requesting start...
[21:13:45][W][voice_assistant:067]: Could not request start.
[21:13:45][D][light:035]: 'M5Stack Atom Echo a63938' Setting:
[21:13:45][D][light:046]:   State: ON
[21:13:45][D][light:058]:   Red: 100%, Green: 0%, Blue: 0%
[21:13:45][D][binary_sensor:036]: 'Button': Sending state OFF
[21:13:45][D][voice_assistant:073]: Signaling stop...
[21:13:46][D][light:035]: 'M5Stack Atom Echo a63938' Setting:
[21:13:46][D][light:046]:   State: OFF

Is it not working because of the above?

Please can you also answer above?

Indeed, with Android you can set the app for (voice) assistance (idk for Apple). If we could set this to the HA companion app then it would require no additional hardware :raised_hands:

In case you are in NL: still a few left at TinyTronics at the moment! Be quick! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx, managed to buy 2 at another shop

Thanks for showing me this, i just installed. It does work pretty well though sometimes it fails to handle intent, and i have to hit the microphone even to get wakeword to still work. But damn if its not the easiest sattellite ive setup yet!