YET another take on an alarm system

oh cool. I am about to upgrade from 0.76.2 to 0.77.2 and didn’t want to break my alarm system, so that’s good news! cheers

The alarm is ok in the tests I did but some things I noticed are broken, eg my door status on even is always saying on the graph that it is off

This is a Switch that is ON for 35 minutes so it appears OFF the graph so I checked after I upgraded to 0.77

you need to create a template sensor to create a true or false sensor. i have mine setup as binary sensors with a value of 22 being true. copy pasted for each of the sensors i am using.

- platform: template
    sensors:
      lr_win:
        device_class: window
        value_template: >-
          {%if is_state('sensor.lr_win_access_control', '22')
              -%}
          True
          {%- else -%}
          False
          {%- endif %}
        friendly_name: "Living Room"

I mean the one in your screenshot with hourly summary.

are these items actually ON or OFF at the time you took the screenshots? ie: is the status wrong or the graph wrong?

@sparkydave the states are correct the graph is wrong the moment it was on but the graph is saying off the error is only on the graph

The reason I wanted to confirm is because HA version 0.77 incorporated a database change which may be the issue here. Unfortunately I don’t know the solution but if you don’t mind losing your history data, perhaps try deleting the database and restarting HA so it creates a new one. That MAY fix it… Have you tried a restart since the upgrade?

1 Like

@sparkydave I deleted the database and restarted hassio bingo worked thanks

Anyone had success with custom sensor status ?

My sensor inside my door (set as delayed sensor) reports status 2 when opened from inside and 6 when opened from outside. 20 is tamper and 1 is closed (I added a 0 in case of HA reboot) But when I open door the alarm gets unknown status. Am I doing it wrong or does it not work with numbers ?

## [CUSTOM SENSOR STATUSES]
## These settings allow devices which are not natively supported by this panel to be used. 
## This is to be used when the state of the device is not recognised by the panel. Examples are provided below 
custom_supported_statuses_on:
#  - 'running' #EXAMPLE
#  - flipped #EXAMPLE
#  (dørbryter)
   - '2'
   - '6'
custom_supported_statuses_off:
#  - 'not_running' #EXAMPLE
#  - unflipped   #EXAMPLE
#  (dørbryter)
   - '0'
   - '1'

I dont have any numeric output alarm sensors but if you cant get it working you could make some template sensors that give Open and Closed from numeric inputs and use those in your alarm:

is there not an option to set the devices output to binary? I have some z-wave motion detectors that have both a numeric and a binary output. I just ignore the numeric and use the binary status in my config

Some brands are better about that than others. I got cheap ones from Monoprice (Hank and Vision rebrand) and their config options are very limited.

I did use a template, but I rather get the info straight from the source if it’s supposed to work.
Setting the output to binary is not really an option considering there is more than 2 states.

setting it to binary does work if you all you care about (like me) is if its triggered or not. The numeric give you more info but info is not utilised in this alarm component anyway

The fact that it gives different states if door was opened from inside or outside gives med the ability to use this as a trigger for setting the alarm on or off. When I open the alarm from the inside it checks the home status for the next 10 minutes, if not home alarm is turned on. Same when I come home, if the door is opened from outside it will check to see who’s home and turn off the alarm.

That is really good!

How are people using perimeter vs home mode? I’m trying to understand the difference and how I could utilise both differently.

For armed home I’m triggering on just the front door and door into my (fenced) yard. I usually have this on during the evening if we are upstairs.
Perimeter is triggered by all doors that goes outside (back, front, balcony, shed and yard) and all windows. This is different from armed away only in that it doesn’t trigger on motion detection. I use this during the night or if I’m home alone in the evening.

Can anyone help with this?

1 I can arm for hone via services panel
2 I can make a script that arms for home
3 when I run that script in an automation it arms for away!

:,( help!