YET another take on an alarm system

Yes, I see that now. Apparently I had the old file stuck in browser cache. Had to do clear cached data to get a refresh of that page. It now is working. Also I like where you moved the “0” button to, it makes more sense there.

How can I go to this GUI

Follow the instructions here:

Maybe a noob question, but couldn’t find it via search nor in the Configuration manual on github. I would like different scripts to be triggered based on the different Alarm Modes, so for Home Mode trigger X, for away mode trigger Y and for perimeter mode, trigger Z. How can I achieve that? Shouldn’t something like that be added to the manual page?

currently the automations for this alarm only have the single action for ALL alarm modes.

I was thinking you could differentiate them with templates in the action section of the alarm_triggered automation, however

{{ states.alarm_control_panel.house.state }}

Changes from armed_away, armed_home or armed_perimeter to triggered as soon as it is triggered.

So you would have to use an input_select or mqtt sensor to store the state of states.alarm_control_panel.house.state when the alarm is armed. You could then use this to template conditions in the alarm_triggered automation actions. You may also have to set this input select (or mqtt sensor) to disarmed with the alarm_disarmed automation.

Wow this seemed to cool for a newb like me to set up but the directions were clear enough that I actually got this going somewhat. I have a few hue motion sensors going and was actually able to engage and trigger an alarm/automation (turning on a very scary angry red hue light bulb lol).

I have this in my logs though and thought I would check in:

Log Details (WARNING)

Fri Oct 05 2018 22:34:16 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Unable to find service alarm_control_panel/

Should I worry about this? Did I miss something? Clearly I have alot more to do but thanks a bunch gazos and all who contributed

I feel like it’s probably fair to go ahead and change the title to be “THE BEST take on an alarm system”.

Just got everything up and running and fully tested. It’s working like a charm! This alarm is simple, has great UX, and the config makes it a breeze to implement. Seriously good work here. Thanks! I bought you a beer :slight_smile:

I’m using mine with door/window sensors, shock sensors, and PIR sensors all from Monoprice. If anyone has issues w/ these devices (I had many issues w/ the hardware…) hit me up, I might be able to help, or can share my configs at least.

It could be nice to get your configs to get some inspiration.

Just did an upgrade to .80 and the alarm no longer arms. getting the below error.
Going back to 79.3 fixes it.

2018-10-12 23:41:13 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 224, in _handle_service_platform_call
await getattr(entity, func)(**data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/config/custom_components/alarm_control_panel/bwalarm.py”, line 476, in alarm_arm_home
self.process_event(Events.ArmHome)
File “/config/custom_components/alarm_control_panel/bwalarm.py”, line 574, in process_event
switch.turn_on(self._hass, self._warning)
AttributeError: module ‘homeassistant.components.switch’ has no attribute ‘turn_on’

may have something to do with breaking changes

• 1 is broken in new version of homeassistant

Custom components must now use hass.services.call(DOMAIN, service, data) or hass.services.async_call instead of switch.turn_on. That’s indeed related to the breaking changes you mentioned.

1 Like

ok folks have identified the issue and believe I have a fix to resolve the defect caused by the withdrawal of the switch.turn_on. Will test and update tomorrow.

For those interested it should be a case of replacing the switch.turn_on (or off) with:

self._hass.services.call('switch', 'turn_on', self._config.get(CONF_WARNING))

Respectively

5 Likes

Great Hope this fix’s the issue as I have no alarm now

I don’t know how, but I’m on 0.80 and arming the alarm (arm home) still seems to work? How?

Does it affect only a specific function like disarming or arming away mode?

It works from both the ha frontend, including Lovelace and from the alarm panel.

It’s only effecting those users who have switches defined in the yaml file for the warning and alarm settings.

It won’t effect the majority of users as most tend to use automations to do something when the alarm state has changed

How many of you are using the newUI? Any feedback? I’m going to put this live in the repo shortly.

Also working on a standalone webpage which runs outside of the home assistant UI for security purposes (Wall Panels at egress). The standalone site will also be prone to less defects as it moves away from the complicated HA/polymer setup and passes the traffic via Websockets

This should also help with legacy devices (older IOS/Android) as I’ll compile a version for javascript es5 too. One of my older devices (Galaxy Tab 10.1) struggles to run the interface, very laggy as it doesn’t have a lot of ram.

Also toying with the idea of creating dedicated android/ios apps.

2 Likes

i think its a very good idea tge android app i have 1 tablet on my wall just to homeassistant!

great idea

Hi @gazoscalvertos

Just wondering if the update will be pushed today, would like to update to .80 to test another component