YET another take on an alarm system

Thanks for the headsup I’ll check this out

Here you go…

Hi @gazoscalvertos

Just confirming that the master branch on github is now using the NewUI.

Aaah I see your using it in landscape mode. Ok I’ll need to change a few things to account for a smaller screen in landscape.

Hi @aidbish that’s right. The NewUi is the new main release.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Just updated, no issues to report

Yep I can now see the whole “new” button. Is there a way to set the backend theme yet? As my theme changes depending on the time of day.

Yep all good.

I’ve actually decided I like the alarm warning. It gives me a chance to cancel it with ios actionable notifications if my auto arm automation goes awry.

The arm code I set originally was not in the alarm.yaml file. I added it again and now all is almost well.

I have code_to_arm: false

From your side pane interface I can arm without a code and have to enter a code to disarm. All as expected.

From the HA sensor pop up I have to enter a code to arm and disarm. I expect this may be beyond your control though.

Been using the NEWUI branch for months, worked perfectly.

Just updated to the new Master branch, however I have problems with the component not loading after configuring it via the ui.

I start with an almost empty alarm.yaml

a few things:

• checkboxes don’t appear, but when I click the sensor names it still works (gets written to alarm.yaml)
  • after that, a restart of home-assistant results in a non-functioning alarm.
    errors:
    http://10.0.0.181:8123/api/panel_custom/alarm:2059:42 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'state' of undefined

EDIT: I seem to have narrowed it down to the persistence setting. After deleting the old json file everything works again!

1 Like

Hi All,

Today I updated my HA@RPi3 to the latest version and then decided to update this alarm panel (was using an older version from March).

I take it that there is no easy way to upgrade and I have to go to the Settings and configure everything using GUI… oh, well.

Currently the main problem I have is it displays only one binary_sensor that I can use as a trigger in Sensors pane. My other sensors (mostly RFLink switches) are not there.
I tried to restart HA, clear Chrome’s cache - no luck, seems like it’s by design.

So is there a way to use RFLink switches with the current version of this alarm panel?

Yeah the GUI shows sensors not switches.

Set up everything else via the GUI then try defining your switches as sensors in the alarm.yaml file manually. Untested. Not sure if this will work.

That kind of sucks… a bit harsh on users to remove working functionality without offering an alternative.
Have to figure out how to define my switches as the old alarm.yaml isn’t working anymore :\

Oh well, I’m not moaning…

Ask Gaz to re-include the functionality. Until then…

As I said, use the GUI to set up a new alarm.yaml file for everything except the sensors. Then try adding the switches to the yaml file manually.

The new format looks like this:

platform: bwalarm
name: House
panel:
  cameras:
  - camera.rear
  - camera.front
  enable_clock: true
  hide_passcode: true
  hide_sidebar: true
  round_buttons: false
  enable_sensors_panel: true
  enable_camera_panel: true
  camera_update_interval: '5'
  shadow_effect: false
states:
  armed_away:
    immediate:
    - binary_sensor.pir_bathroom ### add your switches in these sections ####
    - binary_sensor.pir_dining
    - binary_sensor.pir_ensuite
    - binary_sensor.pir_hall
    - binary_sensor.pir_laundry
    - binary_sensor.pir_master_bedroom
    - binary_sensor.pir_spare_bedroom
    - binary_sensor.pir_study
    - binary_sensor.pir_wardrobe
    - binary_sensor.pir_workshop
    delayed:
    - binary_sensor.pir_entry
    - binary_sensor.pir_rumpus
    - binary_sensor.pir_lounge
    override: []
    pending_time: 20
    warning_time: 20
    trigger_time: 180
  armed_home:
    immediate: []
    delayed:
    - binary_sensor.pir_laundry
    - binary_sensor.pir_rumpus
    - binary_sensor.pir_study
    - binary_sensor.pir_workshop
    pending_time: 0
    warning_time: 0
    trigger_time: 60
  armed_perimeter:
    immediate: []
    delayed: []
    pending_time: 0
    warning_time: 0
    trigger_time: 600
users:

Thanks for your help.
Now I have a working alarm with the sensors hooked.
Good job the author and everyone who committed to this amazing project.

There are some glitches though, or at least it looks strange:

1. Unless one changes Pending Time for Away mode, for example, it goes to Away mode immediately after the Away button is pressed. Looking at the GUI description, I assumed it’s 25 by default. confusing!
  2. The keypad panel looks differently in my desktop browser (with Clear/Disarm buttons to the right) and on my Android phone (with C and a fingerprint buttons at the bottom) - is that as it supposed to be?
  3. If one enters nothing and just clicks Disarm button, the alarm treats it as a Wrong code (according to the log file) - don’t think it should do that, probably it’s reasonable to react on Disarm button only if there is some code entered. And the worst bit is it resets countdown, so one can just keep on pressing that button and the alarm won’t go off.
  4. In Activity pane I can see : tripped by Sensor: and nothing else - definitely a bug here.
  5. Sensors on a corresponding pane are not sorted alphabetically (despite a statement in alarm.html)

Could anyone clarify what the Home mode is exactly?

p.s love the colours of my old alarm panel, hope it’s easy to change the current ones to something similar.

1 Like

Note: I havent updated to the latest version but I have the new UI since it was just experimental.

1. I Cant answer that.
  2. This is what it looks like on mine too and it looks awesome. I like it. I suppose it is the way it should be.
  3. It doesnt reset the countdown. It refreshes the page, so the script goes back on the starting countdown. I would call it a “false-positive”. Try to countdown yourself and keep pressing the button… You will notice that even if it says it still has 50 seconds to go, the alarm will go off at the correct time.

Home mode is in case you have motion detectors in your house. Use the config to exclude them and when you arm in home mode, only the door and window sensors will be activated. That will give you the freelance to move around the house without tripping the alarm. It can be useful if you also have a dog. In my case I dont have motion detectors, but I have the home mode arming immediately without any countdown.

Thanks for clarifying on the Home mode, it sounds like Perimeter mode :wink:

Regarding q.3, I won’t try but it looks weird, isn’t it?

I think perimeter mode has another intention but I am not sure what it is. Someone explained it in this thread but I cant find it now. It must be an old post.

Yea it looks weird but makes sense since it doesnt store the scripts state to know the remaining time even if the page refreshes. So I wouldnt call this a bug…

The way I would use it (if I had door or window sensors instead of just movement sensors):

Perimeter mode = external door and window sensors.

Home mode = perimeter mode sensors and unused room movement sensors.

But really you are free to set these modes up how you like.

For example in home mode I have movement sensors in rarely used rooms all in the delayed group. That way if I accidentally forget the alarm is armed and I trip a sensor I have time to deactivate it.

I’m setting up the current WallPanel (https://thanksmister.com/wallpanel-android/) on a 7" Android tablet (landscape mode) and have to add some new niggles here:

1. The Alarm screen looks ok in desktop’s browsers, but when I open it in WallPanel, the string with time and alarm status is clipped on its top, just a little bit.

2. in WallPanel the keypad is bigger than the screen and is not scaled to fit. I can scroll it, but it’s very inconvenient and I don’t think it’s designed to be like that.

When I open it in my phone’s browser (Chrome), the alarm status line is a bit clipped as well and there’s no clock! Also, I cleared cookies but it still goes to Away mode immediately despite me changing the grace time to 25s hours ago… And phone’s reboot doesn’t help. :frowning: What else should I do?

Im still wondering why I’m having sha256 errors as I mentioned above. An update and restart hasnt fixed it and I’m unsure how to rebuild the sensor groups directly in yank in the new architecture?

Did you copy the sha256.js file to the www/lib folder (along with 3 other js files)