Your installation is unhealthy - help needed

Hello,

I’m running Home Assistant Supervised in a Debian 10 VM, Docker version 20.10.18. Initially I installed it years ago, back when it was done with a sh script, and it was running perfectly fine since then.

Today when trying to update from 2022.9.4 to 2022.10.2 I got the “your installation is unhealthy” error, and on the System page when going into the details of the issue the only word it shows is “docker” with a link leading to The Docker environment is not working properly - Home Assistant . At the time I was running an older version of docker, I updated the system with apt update && apt upgrade and it updated Docker to 20.10.18. I rebooted the VM but still get this error.

What next steps can I take to pinpoint the cause of this issue and solving it?

EDIT: I have homebridge container manually installed through portainer on top of everything, would it be the issue? Uninstalling and moving it is not really something I want to waste my time on, it’s an essential part to making my ACs work with HomeAssistant that I spent quite a while to get up and running.

Having any containers running in a home assistant supervised installation that were not started by supervisor (i.e. addons, home assistant, supervisor or one of supervisor’s plugins) is not supported. That will cause your system to be listed as unsupported in system information.

Portainer is a special case. Since it is itself container orchestration software like supervisor with many options that can break home assistant if a container with portainer is running then the system will be marked as unhealthy. Same as watchtower and ouroboros.

The suggested fix is to remove all containers not started by supervisor but portainer in particular.

Also for home bridge in particular HA has native homekit support

There actually used to be a home bridge addon but it was deprecated because native HA does everything now. So if that’s the only non-addon container you have consider just migrating and then removing it?

Hi,

Is there no way to bypass the warning or smth?

HomeKit will not work. There is an addon for Homebridge that adds support for Haier ACs, so Homebridge is used as an intermediary to talk to my air conditioner split system. I did start trying to create my own custom component for Hass, reverse engineering HB JS addon into Python, but in the end I did not have time to complete that project. You can read more about Haier ACs here: Haier AC integration

In the worst case yes I will migrate it. But I have a HUGE problem with this. Because this is an artificial limitation imposed on the user, as far as I understand it. Because it’s “Unsupported”. IMO the correct approach would’ve been to warn the user but let me proceed with the update and everything. Because I’m pretty sure that if I could force the update it would just keep working fine. But I can’t run the update just because developers are being overcautious, even though I am already running a ‘community supported, use at your own risk’ installation method. By running it this way I have already accepted the risks and I know that it may be unstable, and that I will have to deal with any problems myself.

I think this is either just a redundant limitation that has to be removed, or they are deliberately doing this to further discourage people from using this installation method. I don’t see any other reason for this limitation.

You are making some very valid points. However, you belong to a tiny minority who knows what they are doing and accepting the consequences of their actions. Sadly real life is more brutal. The vast majority will bypass the message intentionally/unintentionally and still ask for support and will complain if they do not get any.

A system might break a day or a year following installation. Most people forget what they have done and when the system breaks will ask for support in any case. Then they raise hell if they do not get any, even after being alerted to the fact they run an unsupported installation.

The aim of this action is to allow everyone to focus their time on developing a better HA. Sadly true tech savvy people are a tiny minority of the tens of thousands using HA.

You also make valid points, however as I pointed out before - by using the “Supervised” installation method on generic linux distro I am already in the minority. It was less obvious before, but right now I think it’s splattered all over that this installation method is not officially supported and not recommended and for advanced users only who want pain and suffering :smiley:

At this point there really is almost no benefit at running Hass Supervised. It’s generally heavier system and without being able to put my own containers and with more and more restrictions being imposed on it, what’s the point?

If I’m going to migrate Homebridge I might as well migrate Home Assistant from Ubuntu VM to a HassOS VM.

I’d prefer not to, but if this is where it’s going, that might be the only valid solution.

But it will leave a really bad taste in my mouth, for I am basically sort of forced to do this. Forced to waste a weekend on this migration process.

This isn’t true. This is what the HA team tried to do here:

That was exactly the plan here. Acknowledge that users going supervised are going to do whatever they want and acknowledge that its impossible for the small supervisor team (just Pascal at the time) to support that. So keep the installer but basically say issues from supervised systems will be rejected unless reproduced on a supported installation method.

The community rejected this plan and demanded supervised be treated as a supported installation. So the HA laid out the boundaries of a supported supervised installation here and began adding checks every time issues come up due to users going outside the bounds of what is supported. Exactly as specified in that adr.

Whether this is better or not is clearly up for debate
But that is the situation.

I see, I was under an impression it was left as community supported method. Dang. Well, it sucks.

In this case I suppose migrating to HassOS is the only valid option. There’s basically no benefit left to running Supervised on generic linux distro, if they are just going to keep tightening bolts basically turning it into “DIY HASS OS”

There is already a discussion ongoing here

There are also some workarounds described