Your preferred small size zigbee motion sensor

I try to automate most of the lights in my house using small size zigbee motion sensors but some of the ones I’m currently using seem to like to act up every now and then. The two brands that keep acting up every few weeks or so are the Sonoff SNZB03 and the Ouvopo motion sensor. Both of them are actually the same exact motion sensors just with a different body. When you pair both to ZHA, they either show up as eWelink MS01 or eWelink SNZB-03. If you tear them apart, internally they’re even identical to the very print on the PCB. So it might not be surprising that they both seem to act up in similar ways.

I also have both the original Aqara motion sensor and the Aqara P1 motion sensor, and those seem to be significantly more reliable. I just can’t use them in certain locations due to their cylindrical shape and how it has no fresnel lens, which limits its functional detection angle (i.e can’t mount it on the ceiling).

What other reliable but not too expensive small-sized zigbee motion sensors that you guys recommend?

I’m no help with a Zigbee recommendations, but will still provide my $0.02 just in case it helps.

The only two sensors I found to work reliably were the SmartThings (now Aeotec) motion sensors, but they’re relatively pricey and the Iris V2 motions sensors that are no longer available. I tried a few of the Tuya branded sensors and had a similar experience to what you’ve had.

I’ve since moved to using ESP32s with the LD2410C mmWave radar sensor. I know folks have complained about responsiveness with these type sensors in the past, but that’s not been my experience with these (after calibration of course). The upside is that an ESP32 S2 Mini and LD2410C cost about $5 from Aliexpress and they’re smaller than the SONOFF sensor. The down side is that you have to solder and setup ESPhome yourself along with providing your own case and they require constant power. The case is an easy feat if you have, or have access to, a 3D printer.

Hi @FriedCheese, I would love to use mmWave sensors all around the house if possible. I have two Aqara FP2 presence sensor that I use in the main areas of my house, but requiring constant power is currently the biggest roadblock from me switching over to mmWave sensors.

Do you have a guide that I can look at for the ESP32 and LD2410C setup and assembly? Maybe I can set them up to be plugged into one of the wall sockets in a room and it might just work instead of relying on PIR motion sensors.

I have a case design on Printables that shows how the boards are mated along with a link to the YAML config I’m using. I have started using C3 Superminis in place of the S2 board and have a case posted for it as well.

https://www.printables.com/model/541368-case-for-esp32-s2-mini-and-ld2410c
https://www.printables.com/model/582630-case-for-esp32-c3-supermini-and-ld2410c

Alternatively, the SCREEK folks sell these preconfigured through eBay.

And have a support thread:

That’s really cool! Thank you for sharing! I will give this a try for my next project, and when I get my 3D printer lol.

In your opinion, does the mmWave sensor need to have a clear/direct line of sight to a person in the room. I want to try to do this without having to run a wire from the power adapter to the sensor, so I’m thinking of keeping the sensor down low near to the power adapter itself. For example, if I place the sensor by a wall socket and my bed frame is partially in the way, will it not be able to detect me if I stand on the opposite side of the bed?

Another thing I was wondering, with the Aqara P2 sensor, you’re able to set zones and if you’re not inside a certain zone, automation within said zone doesn’t get triggered even if the sensor detects you. How does it work with this setup? Let’s say the sensor is inside a room but happens to face the door, and I walk past the door but outside the room, does it trigger an automation I create for within the room?

And on the flip side, will I be able to create a separate automation for anything that happens outside the room when it detects my presence, as though the area outside the room is a separate zone?

Sorry for all the questions :smiley: I’m very intrigued with this, and If I do this right I think I can solve most of the issues around my house and almost completely eliminate the need to use these ewelink motion sensors that are finicky and also battery hog lol.

This likely won’t be a problem but I can’t say that I’ve directly tested it. These things will pick up movement through a wall so I’m not sure that a bed would be any different. I do have one setup in my bathroom that has no trouble keeping track when I’m inside the shower (with 1/2" thick glass in between me and the sensor). I have these in every bathroom in the house and all showers have sliding glass doors. They work without issue.

It doesn’t. The LD2410C is a direct replacement for your standard motion sensor use cases. There is the Screek Human Sensor 2A - LD2450 24Ghz mmWave Human Tracker Sensor that uses an LD2450 instead of the 2410C. That LD2450 sensor has zone capabilities (although I’m fairly certain setting the zones up is not as user friendly as the FP2). I have one but haven’t found a use case for it.

I see, so it looks like I won’t be able to use the LD2410C for one of my scenarios. I have a walk-in closet without a power source close enough to the door and I was thinking of placing a sensor in my bedroom facing the closet and have it trigger when I walk into the closet. The Screek Human Sensor 2A might fit the bill but I need to do some more research on how easy it is to set up.

This seems a bit old but I am looking into the sensors too and was wondering why I have not seen any use a battery? What is the power consumption of those sensors?

Are you referring to a Presence Sensor powered by a battery? While I think sometime in the future, this would be possible, currently the amount of power a presence sensor draws would be enough to drain a small sized battery in a matter of days at least. This is because presence sensors continuously polls data at all times in order for it to work. Unless they find a more energy efficient way to do this, unfortunately you would either need constant power source or a very large battery brick that you’ll have to charge maybe once every six months? Think about those wireless security camera that comes with rechargeable battery pack, it will most likely be something similar or slightly smaller.