Z-Stick and GE devices manual state changes

Well, don’t hold your breath. It’s quite possible I did not submit things correctly :-). I am new to Github (or anything like it).

No worries - if I had got it done it would only have been my second ever PR :smile:

Does this fix only affect GE dimmer type switches? I have a number of GE non dimmer switches that are constantly out of sync with what the actual state of the switch is. Sometimes they are reporting on when they are off and other times reporting off when they are on. Do you know if this might work for the non dimmer GE switches? I have also tried Polling updates but with no luck. If anyone has had success with changing the polling or polling intensity and seeing switch updates in the UI for GE non dimmer type switches please let me know what has worked for you.

Also, was this PR included in the recent release?

No, this PR did not make it in.
I have recently rebuilt my environment using the AIO installer. Here is the path to the file that needs to be edited :==>

./srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/light/zwave.py

Would you know if this file update has any affect on the non dimmer GE switches? Unless my switches are turned on via HA either on the UI or automated they never seem to show the correct state when done manually.

Is there a recommended polling interval/polling intensity that should be used? I’ve tried 60000 and 30000 along with a custom polling intensity of 1 but nothing seems to work.

I only have the GE dimmer, but it is an easy change to try. You can manually edit the file on your installation, which is what I have been doing through the last few releases.

I’ll give it a try. Very confusing when the UI says a light is off but I know it’s on or vice versa.

Thx

I want to add my voice and say thanks. This solution works perfectly for me. I’m excited for it to be integrated into the code.

PS - New to Home Assistant and to this forum. Great software and awesome community so far. I have hass installed on Arch and it works beautifully.

Just as an update, the new string to search for is self.__timer = Timer(2, _refresh___value). I ended up changing it to 5 on my system. ( I can’t quite match the syntax as the web form does not seem to like the underscore character.) There is one underscore between “self.” and “timer” along with leading and trailing underscores for “refresh”.

I am going to try updating mine to 5 as well, since a manual update of the switch doesn’t seem to reflect in HASS. Do I need to restart or do anything else to have this change take affect?

Thanks!

I ended up restarting it after trying a setting of 3 and 4 with no joy. So it is possible that I could have used a smaller change.

I did confirm that HA requires a restart to implement the change. I backed it down to 4 this morning and that seems to work.

@dap35: Does this workaround still work for you? I just added a GE Smart Switch & Dimmer and someone pointed me to this thread but modifying the self.timer line of “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/light/zwave.py” doesn’t seem to have any affect.

Yes. It still works for me. You will have to re-do this any time you update HA until it gets implemented into the source code.

In that case, I might have a different problem because I just rebuilt everything the the latest version this weekend, updated that file, and still am only picking up physical changes about 25-50% of the time.

I’m having the same issue with one of my GE 12722’s. The other one seems to be working fine, and the one that has problems seems to have started in the last month. Prior to that everything was fine. I’m running HA 29.6 and tried modifying the settings suggested in the zwave.py file without any luck either. If you find something that works for you I’m all ears.

I don’t think the GE12722 uses the same component. It should use ./switch/zwave.py instead of the ./light/zwave.py. I’m not sure what is going on with your environment.

My PR to increase the update delay for GE 12724 Dimmers was merged yesterday into dev so those of you with those devices shouldn’t need to make an edit anymore on a version update.

Now with your changes my GE 12727 switch seems to report it’s status 100% of the time and my GE 12729 dimmer fails to report it’s status 100% of the time, but it does work reliably to turn the dimmer on & off from HA.

The delay workaround will only affect 12724 devices since it’s restricted by that particular manufacturer/device_id combination. If you’re seeing different behavior for other dimmer models I believe it’s related to something else.