Z-Wave Battery Entities Dissapear on Fresh Hass.io Build

Today I formatted my RPi 3 with the latest version of Hass.io 2.8 and have had nothing but trouble with my battery powered z-wave devices.

I’ve been using Hass.io for a couple years now with (relatively) little trouble. I have an RPi 3, Aeotech Z-Stick Gen 5, five Monoprice/Hank Door/window sensors PID 24259, and a GE z-wave light switch. I had everything working reasonably well, some automations built, but occasionally the z-wave network would go nuts and i’d have to reset and add the device back in, and mark the old version of the sensor as “BAD.” This made a mess of my configs, and I had to pray each time I updated Hass.io.

Today I decided to blow the whole thing away, reset all z-wave devices and the controller back to factory, and install Hass.io fresh. Everything was going fine - I setup the stick with a network key, added the light switch, and a goControl linear garage door controller. Both went in without a hitch. Then I started to add my door/window sensors. they would pair fine, and I could configure their name/entityID fine - but then when I rebooted Hass.io, everything except the binary_sensor disappeared from the UI and entity list.

If I open a door or trigger a tamper sensor, I can see all the chatter in the OZW logs, but the Entity Registry reports “This entity is not currently available.” In previous versions I would manage all of the entity registration manually in the configuration files, but it seems that’s either not supported or strongly discouraged now. However… since my battery devices (door/window sensors and first alert smoke detector) don’t ever wake up to report config, the UI seems to think they’re just gone.

Short of restoring from my previous image to an older version of HA and re-pairing all my devices, is there something grand I’m missing?

These are the steps I go thru to add a door/window sensor, as an example:

**Add Monoprice Door Sensor - Front Door**
On the sidebar, click Configuration
Click Z-Wave
Click ADD NODE SECURE
Press and hold the PAIR button on the sensor for 3 seconds
Wait until light goes out
Under Z-Wave Node Management click Nodes
Select Hank HKZW-DWS01 Door/Window Sesnor (Node:5 Complete)
Click NODE INFORMATION
Click the GEAR icon in the top right
Name = Front Door Sensor
Entity ID = zwave.sensor_door_front
Click SAVE
Click Entities of this node
Select sensor.hank_hkzw_dws01_door_window_sensor_access_control
Click ENTITY INFORMATION
Name = Front Door Access Control
Entity ID = sensor.door_front_access
Click SAVE
Select sensor.hank_hkzw_dws01_door_window_sensor_alarm_type
Click ENTITY INFORMATION
Name = Front Door Alarm Type
Entity ID = sensor.door_front_alarm_type
Click SAVE
Select sensor.hank_hkzw_dws01_door_window_sensor_burglar
Click ENTITY INFORMATION
Name = Front Door Tamper
Entity ID = sensor.door_front_tamper
Click SAVE
Select binary_sensor.hank_hkzw_dws01_door_window_sensor_sensor
Click ENTITY INFORMATION
Name = Front Door Binary Sensor
Entity ID = binary_sensor.door_front
Click SAVE
Select sensor.hank_hkzw_dws01_door_window_sensor_sourcenodeid
Click ENTITY INFORMATION
Name = Front Door SourceNodeID
Entity ID = sensor.door_front_sourcenodeid
Click SAVE

The entities are now named and working properly. However, if I restart Hass.io or reboot the Pi… all of the entities except the binary_sensor disappear.

Hass.io supervisor

Version 143
Latest version 143

Host system

Hostname private
System HassOS 2.8
Deployment production

EDIT 1: I found a post by freshcoast that suggests the xml files may not be committed when I click REBOOT. I should instead shutdown HA or save the config. I am going to try that and report back here.