Z-Wave graph (without the python)

Now that we have Areas as a core hass functionality, how about using that instead of the location in the zwcfg* file?

It would also simplify updates of location/area since you can update it directly in the frontend withour stopping Hass, updating the fele and then restarting.

5 Likes

Hi. Any plan to integrate this useful panel within Home Assistant UI?

1 Like

Relatively often I get a zwave graph that looks like this:

Is this normal? My zwave network works as expected and hovering the mouse over the different entities shows at least two neighbors for each of them, except for my zwave hub (Aotec Z-Stick Gen5), which shows “Neighbors: undefined”.

The structure is built based on the mutual knowledge of the nodes about each other and their hop-distance from the hub. In your case it’s flat because of the hub’s empty neighbors list.

Any idea why it is empty, while still working as expected?

Your hub should be showing neighbors. Might be the issue. Have you done a test or heal on the network?

I have done “heal network” many times and occasionally “test network”, trying that again now. I want to emphasize, though, that my z-wave network appears to work just fine.

All of a sudden, my z-stick reports itself correctly again following at least a week with “no neighbors”. Changed some of my yaml config files and restarted HA. I have seen this behaviour before, but don’t know that causes it.

Dear all:

Please put up with me as I am not familiar with web technology.

I simply copy and pasted your code, but I got the following error:

Unable to find webcomponent for zwavegraph2: /config/panels/zwavegraph2.html
2:55 PM components/panel_custom/__init__.py (ERROR)

and

Setup failed for panel_custom: Component failed to initialize.
2:55 PM setup.py (ERROR)

Does it mean that I need to install extra python script somewhere?

Thanks

@OmenWild @NigelL @AdamNaj

This is awesome!
I run the last version of AdamNajs code and it’s just the thing i was looking for.
I think it should be put in the base hass.io installation aswell. Since i tried out Domotics before HA a couple of years ago and already back then they had a map of the z-wave network. Although not as nice as this one!

Thanks guys!

Please think about people that don’t use hassio. Please add it directly in the main UI.

Mine look like:

Would prefer is all “unconnected” (ie “battery based”) devices would be put aside, so that they are displayed as “here”, but not active part of the network.

Didnt think of that! Would ofcourse be even better!

Very nice. But it sure does go to show how long it takes for some devices to fully register. I’m still waiting for some of my mains power devices to come up and setup their neighbors. I’ve been refreshing a couple at a time to get them to update. Battery devices (sensors mostly) are a real pain.

I love/hate this graph. Before I added this, myzwave all worked well, and I never had any problems, then I loaded this, and was wondering why some of my devices close to my stick were two hops, and other further devices were one hop, and why my damn battery devices took so long (even though they work just fine even when greyed out), so then I started healing my network, and moving a few devices around, and now for the first time in months, have has a couple of zwave issues, haha.

Bottom line, if your network works, and it solid, dont let this graph cause you grief.

Battery devices for example I have a leak sensor in my attic far away from my stick., it sometimes takes hours to connect on the graph, but if I climb up into my attic (I did) and touch the sensor with a wet finger, it immediately set off my alerts and alarms.

You need to understand how battery powered devices work.

They are always monitoring whatever they are supposed to. Water, door, window, etc. But they do not bother to transmit until they sense a change. This is to save battery as the radios take quite some power.

But most of them are set to push a status update on some interval. Some 3600 seconds, some 14400 seconds. Some you can program. This is to preserve battery and it’s not until this is sent you get all the status updated as to neighbors, battery, etc.

When you wet-finger the sensor you are causing it to wake up and send what it’s made to sense. But you do not get the full status with that update.

So just because they can take time to update initially they are likely all ok and just waiting for the next update time.

When sleeping you can not wake the device from the controller side; as it’s not got the radio powered to hear a request. It’s running radio silent until it has a reason to wake up (due to sensing or due to wakeup interval)

**Note: some Zwave + devices change this somewhat.

Oh sorry. Yes totally understand. I was really just commenting on the comment above about battery devices. Really just kind of saying “relax” that’s how it works. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the good info though

x2 i don’t run hassio either
 I run a in a virtual python environment on debian linux.
would like to see a non-hass io method.
thanks for the work!

Zwave is a lesson in patience :wink:

2 Likes

Haha. Absolutely agree. I’ve went from Smartthings to hubitat to Home assistant. Overall I think zwave is great. It’s been the most stable by far. These days the most issues I have is when I mess with it for no good reason. Haha