Z-Wave: Inovelli Red Dimmer: From Inclusion to Death in 15 minutes

Hello, I’m trying to get my new Inovelli Red Dimmer LZW31-SN up and running in HA. It’s my first z-wave device, so I’m not sure what I’m doing.

I set up the Z-Wave integration in HA (not the OpenZWave (beta)).
I followed the guide here: Guide for installing Inovelli devices in Home Assistant (OZWave v1.4)

I think I have successfully included the new switch, I see a light entity (light.inovelli_lzw31_sn_dimmer_red_series_level) and a couple of sensors in HA, and it seems to work correctly for a minute (I can control the physical light although it seems slow and buggy) and then the status of “zwave.inovelli_lzw31_sn_dimmer_red_series” changes to “dead” and that’s it.

Does “dead” mean dead, like “fried” or “bricked”?

I’ve excluded, the switch, done a factory reset, re-included the switch several times with essentially the same results. Sometimes the inclusion fails completely but when it works, it works for a minute or two and then dies.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’d be grateful.

My log is available here: https://pastebin.com/4cB6dV7h

Is the stick new? What is your zwave controller brand? See line 299 of your log.

Dead means the controller can’t reach it, although the device is nit sending back or controller receiving anything. Then “presumed” dead. So not bricked or fried.

It might have to do with ozw 1.4 and secure (S2) inclusion. 1.4 is pretty oldish…

Further error in line 301…

The stick is the Nortek HUSBZB-1. It’s not new, I’ve been using it for zigbee for almost a year but this is the first time I’m trying to implement z-wave.

This seems to be referring to a roller shade from a particular manufacturer. I have no idea what this is. Not something I’m using. Is there a way to figure out what it is and just delete it if it’s causing a problem?

Well, I just installed the z-wave integration to HA and 1.4 is what I got. Should I be upgrading to something newer?

I didn’t think I was using secure inclusion. Line 164 of the log seems to confirm that.

This is saying that it can’t read the Config Param file that I download to: /config/ozwave/config/inovelli/lzw31-sn.xml

In this case, the first /config/ folder is the HA folder that my configuration.yaml is in, correct? Then the /ozwave/config/ folders are those I created to hold the files that I downloaded as per the instructions referenced above: /inovelli/lzw31-sn.xml.

I don’t know what is causing this error. I downloaded the file again and double-checked the location.

Thanks for looking.

Interesting. I seem to be having the exact same problem with the exact same stick. Did you ever find a solutioon?

Ditto. Having the same problem but have a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5. It always goes dead after I issue a turn off command to it from HA. It comes back online within HA within a few hours but it keeps happening. The switch is very close to the z-stick.

Mine turned out to be a problem with the hardware. Inovelli swapped it out and my problems went away. Shoot them a message, they are decent support.

Also if you are using anything other then zwave JS + MQTT, you should change to that, as it has better native support for the device.

Also worth mentioning that Eric Inovelli is pretty active on the Home Automation subreddit and will often intervene personally if people have these kind of issues with their devices. They seem to have very good customer support.