Z-Wave integration - stumped by failure

Tried that, same result

So you stopped zwave JS and zwave JS UI. Cleared the configuration. Then restarted the add-ons?

Don’t know about stopping anything, but shut the machine down and restarted enough times (i.e. over a dozen attempts)

Since you are using VirtualBox (VB?), did you configure USB pass-through for your USB device so it is accessible inside the virtual machine? It looks like you have not.

The error has nothing to do with Security keys. Just leave those blank as instructed. The error is produced because you have not provided a USB device path, which is a required field. A list of USB devices is normally presented for you to select from, and your list is empty, which would be the case if you are using a VM and failed to pass-through the USB device (I just tried myself). This condition is not very obvious, so feel free to submit a GitHub issue. Once you setup the USB device in VB correctly, you’ll be able to choose it from the configuration dialog.

That’s sounding relevant. Enabling USB pass-through is non-trivial by the look of it, but I’ll have a crack at it.

Why do you think it’s non-trivial? It’s a couple of button clicks in the VM settings.

Nothing’s appearing on the USB tab at all (no mouse, no keyboard, no USB flash drive).
I’m searching the web for “VirtualBox USB Passthrough” and I get loads of articles telling me that I need to follow these really simple 23 steps.

Hmmm, as I suspected, more crytic errors. It looks like the Z-Wave stick might be a serial comm port as far as the host OS is concerned, not a USB device. I set my VM to access ports 3 and 4 and tried again. Now I get

More web searches and experimentation, lsusb -t reports the existence of a CDC class device which the host OS installs as /dev/ttyACM0. Even after fixing permissions there’s no change :(. If I try on a Windows host OS I get a long delay and then ‘Failed to start the Z-Wave JS add-on.’

No suggestions from anyone here?
BTTT

Why not simplify your setup and run HAOS directly on your hardware? That way you don’t need to worry about device passthrough and you will end up with a supported configuration.

I’ve been considering that but the official advice seems to steer quite firmly away from that.
Nothing to lose I suppose other than hours of my free time.

Okay, so the direct install only took about 15 minutes, but it doesn’t work! There were loads of errors when you run hass and I’ve no idea about most of them. For sure the last one must matter as I can’t reach the Hass via a browser. It says:
Failed to create HTTP server at port 8123: [Errno 98] error while attempting to bind on address (‘0.0.0.0’, 8123): address already in use
Even after a full reboot netstat says 2123/python3 is listening.

That implies that another instance of HA is already running. Are you running HAOS on bare metal or under Virtual Box.
If you do a search on the error message, you will find several posts here that might be relevant.

Done the search so I know I’m not alone with this. The answers were technobabble for a man of my limited knowledge. Given up on VirtualBox, this was bare metal.

That sounds like an IP address conflict. Are you sure you don’t have another instance of HAOS running on the network?
After it’s booted, do you even have basic network connectivity? Can you ping other devices on your network and does your device get assigned an IP address?
What hardware are you running HAOS on?

Well I could web in fine when running the VirtualBox installation, so I’m confident my basic networking is working (plus I can browse the internet). As for a second instance, I’ve no idea where that would be or how to check for it.
Machine is Celeron powered, host OS is Mint 19.

How can the host OS be Mint if you have installed HAOS onto the PC? If it was a bare metal install, then HAOS will be the operating system you are booting off.
To eliminate virtualisation as I suggested and boot directly into HAOS, you need to follow the installation instructions here: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/generic-x86-64

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant by bare metal, thought you meant no VM or Docker. A dedicated machine is not an option for me (unless it’s a Pi which I can’t currently buy).

As it’s not related to Z-Wave I’ve started a new thread on my installation problems at Install Home Assistant Core failure when running hass