Z-wave JS stopped working. Most of my home out of order... Here we go again

@Dark_Kermit - I have the same issue.

I see the error references ssl:default and I do not (yet) use SSL. I wonder whether that might be the issue.

Also, I have port 3000 enabled but am not using MQTT (I now believe that is the only thing that uses that port, right?).

Last, the error references a private IP that is not used on my network I wonder why.

EDIT: As far as I can tell from the configuration options, the format of my keys are correct. The only anomaly I see is that my network key is all lowercase while the new S0 is an identical copy BUT uppercase.

can you point me to the correct way to covert the old key to the new format?

Eg if you have this key:

0xA1, 0xB2, 0xC3, 0xA1, 0xB2, 0xC3, 0xA1, 0xB2, 0xC3, 0xA1, 0xB2, 0xC3, 0xA1, 0xB2, 0xC3, 0xA1

Convert it to this format:

A1B2C3A1B2C3A1B2C3A1B2C3A1B2C3A1
1 Like

I have done that, converted in new format but I have still the same problem : host core-zwave-js:3000:default Connect call failed.

@aruffell, I use SSL with Nabu Casa. I have rebooted everything, converted the network key in new format, still the same error.
I have used the backup to go back to 0.1.40, it works again without any flaw :slight_smile:
But I have still to figure a way ton upgrade to 0.1.42.

I’ve had problems with v0.1.42 on a Supervised installation and it wouldn’t work until I rebooted the host.

I’m not sure if it’s related, but I recently updated os-agent to version v1.2.0. I see it was updated to v1.2.1
yesterday.

@Dark_Kermit - I am also using the nabu casa link however I now added SSL on my HASS instance as well. Either way, I believe it was unrelated and I think I found the issue.

My network key was all lowercase and the S0 key was all uppercase so while the same numbers/letters, they did not match per .42’s algorithm. I overwrote the network key using the one in uppercase and everything is now working.

If you look in the add-on log, you might find a FATAL error stating that the two keys are not the same so they do not know which one to use. I think the check is flawed as my original key was lowercase and I replaced it with the uppercase the add-on defaulted to and it works so apparently the key is not case sensitive (or the add-on is doing something to mitigate this in the background).

My post on the lowercase/uppercase issue on the ticket @BebeMischa had created:

The note is actually that both exist and it doesn’t know which one to use (even if they’re the same, which was my case).

Just delete the deprecated “network_key” and restart the add-on. If both “s0_legacy_key” and “network_key” exist the add-on doesn’t start.

I believe I had tried to delete the network key in one of my first attempts with .42 but it did not work. I currently have the same key (all uppercase) in both S0 and network key and it works.

In hindsight, I probably left my “network_key” field in the unacceptable format so it would be detected as different. So it looks like it should work either with the network_key field blank or equal to s0_legacy_key.

1 Like

I think I don’t have the same problem. Lots of problems here ! Everything was perfect in .40
My first error is : “failed loading config file /etc/zwave_config.json”. I don’t know why… :frowning:

By the way, a .43 version just appeared but same problem for me :frowning:

@aruffell Thanks for your help. All my keys are uppercase, not the same problem…

1 Like

@Dark_Kermit Can you confirm you have 32 characters in your key? I wonder whether you may have added/deleted a character when you converted from the hex format.

Oh, I have tried again .42 (broken), went back to 0.40 and then upgraded to 0.43. This time, it works ! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help @aruffell

1 Like

Case issue is getting fixed:

Removing the value in network key and make sure that value is entered in S0_legacy _key fixed it for me I had same issue.

I’ve updated and changed my network key to the new (hex values and removed “0x” from each entry) and also removed the s0_legacy_key from the Z-Wave JS add-on config. Everything works great after that but when I go back into the Z-Wave JS add-on config, the s0_legacy_key is back. Anybody else seeing this? I remove it again and restart the add-on and it works fine but can’t find out how it keeps getting repopulated.

I am running HA Supervised so I have the Z-Wave JS add-on, but also have the Z-Wave JS Integration (Configuration > Integrations). I don’t recall installing both or if that has anything to do with it - possibly expected?..

The first 4 keys are the ones that must stay. The network key is the one that has been obsoleted. I believe some reported that removing the network key was ok, but I still have mine populated. S0 key and network key must be identical if both are populated. I am not sure they will forcibly remove the network key for a while as old versions of HASS will likely still depend on it.

0.1.44 was just released, which should hopefully fix all of the issues.

Ah ok! I didn’t remove it. I saw “legacy” and assumed it was the deprecated one. :wink: