Z-Wave over PoE kit

I’ve (TubesZB) been selling in Ethernet/PoE connected zigbee coordinators for a while now, and every few so often I’d get a request for a Z-Wave version.

I’m sort of half way there now: Z-Wave PoE Kit

I’m now offering a kit that you can plug a Zooz ZAC93 or Razzberry Pro 7 into to use over PoE no pi required. Other pi gpio radios will likely work but the two above are tested and fit in the case I’ve designed.

I also have the pcb available which I ship with the required pins to be soldered on and used if you want to do it all yourself. I’ll post the gerbers and case stls to GitHub soon.

9 Likes

I like the idea, especially the external antenna, but that only comes with the $85 RaZberry 7 Pro. Total cost $45 + $85 + shipping + tax.

I recently accomplished the same with an $8 (eBay) WS-AP3825i access point and a $26 (Amazon Warehouse) Atrim 800 series Z-Wave USB adapter. Costs include tax and shipping in the US. The AP is larger than your enclosure, but it’s designed to mount on a wall/ceiling with the Ethernet cable tucked behind. It also has rubber feet if you want to sit on a shelf. The AP has 5 status LEDs (3 are bicolor) and dual Gigabit POE ports. For me it was a no-brainer because it was already mounted and in use for Wi-Fi. I just plugged in the USB radio which is hardly noticeable parallel to the ceiling. Yes, I had to flash OpenWrt and shop for bargains on the hardware.

@tube0013 Which way should the board be soldered?

I purchased Raspberry Pi GPIO to Olimex UEXT for Z-Wave Adaptors pcb kit and soldered it according to the image below from your site (note the board orientation also matches the image in your original post), connected the Zooz ZAC93 and powered up the ESP.

img_3544-scaled-600x450

Unfortunately the olimex-esp32-poe board no longer works. It does not power on, report logs or respond to reset.

I then looked at your site again and on the page for the pcb itself, you show the board soldered upside down with respect to the connectors.

Both images I’ve posted are from your site. As you can see the stencil outline for the UEXT connector is on different sides of the board in each image.

Which is orientation is correct?

The side labeled UEXT is on the top side of the keyed female connector. The side labeled with zwave is on the bottom.

Sorry for the confusion. The 1st photo showing the device installed is correct.

Thanks for the quick reply. Tried another olimex-esp32-poe board and it appears to be working fine. Looks like it was a coincidence the board died.