Z-wave switch migrated to ZwaveJS: no longer reporting status (Philio Tech PAN04-1B)

I’m currently migrating to Home Assistant and ZwaveJS.

I have 2 light switches where I installed a Philio Tech PAN04-1B.
While it was working perfectly using my old Z-wave automation system (Zipato Zipabox), it is not reporting it’s on/off status (nor power usage etc) to ZwaveJS when I use the light switch to control the light.
When I change the light in Home Assistant it works fine. When I call zwave_js.refresh_value it will get the new value.
To my (limited) understanding the issue shouldn’t be that this device doesn’t report it’s status and needs polling (a change was immediately reported in my old home automation solution).

I’m quite a novice but what I have tried:
In this topic somebody indicated the need to set associations. ZwaveJS doesn’t allow setting up associations so I shut down this add-on temporariliy and started ZwaveJS2MQTT. There I set a group association for “Group Load1” to Target NodeID_1 (which is my Aotec Zstick gen5+) and did the same for “Group Load2”.
This didn’t make a difference.

I tried a fix posted by the company themselves in this video which consists of changing the auto report type from basic to multi channel type. I couldn’t find this parameter in the configuration panel in ZwaveJS so instead went to developer tools and called the service to set a configuration parameter where I chose parameter 31 with value 2 and bitmask 1 (hope I did that right). This didn’t make a difference.

I didn’t understand the solution that someone using openzwave applied in this post and whether it’s applicable to ZwaveJS.

What else could i try to fix this?
Many thanks!

I created a fix:

@quizzical
Hello, I’m experiencing the same problem with my PAN06.
I can switch it from the HA interface. But when I switch the real buttons it is not reporting its status.
I’m new here and have no idea how to fix it. I read your fix, but I still don’t understand it.