Z-Wave Zooz ZST39 800LR model, USB-stick, - BRICKED - HELP!

Tried to update the firmware for the USB-stick using HA.

I use the standard Z-Wave integration JS (not the “JS UI”). After the process bar was finished, I got the message that it failed. The stick has been dead since then.
Then tried Simplicity Studio, but it can’t find the stick in COM3.
Zooz helpdesk has been helpful guiding me through some alternatives without luck (installing driver CH343SER_WINDOWS5.zip/Reset the stick using Simplicity Studio "Network Management»)

HA:

Simplicity Studio:

Please advise.

Zooz helpdesk forwarded this, and it worked out fine. I was able to install the firmware.

Could you try this solution found by one of our customers?:
Go to Z-Wave JS UI.
Select Settings tab
Select “Z-Wave” section
Enable “Bootloader only”

I believe I restarted the device at this point (hardware restart but perhaps did a home assistant restart)
Then the controller showed up
I selected:
Z-Wave JS UI
Control Panel tab
Hamburger menu (blue bottom right corner, is three lines until you click it and it turns into an X)
“Advanced actions” (purple wand)

Then under “General actions” selected
“Firmware update OTW” and chose the firmware file that I downloaded from your site.
That ran a long time, wasn’t sure if it completed or not. Then restarted Home Assistant.

How do I switch between the official Z-Wave JS add-on and the Z-Wave JS UI add-on?

Remember to save all the security keys from the JS and past it into JS UI.

Looks like the JS UI is more solid than the standard JS.

2 Likes

No, they use the exact same driver software, Z-Wave JS, which is responsible for the firmware update. The difference is ZUI has extra features and an alternative UI. Plenty of users have had problems using ZUI to update firmware, you likely would have seen the problem there too.

It’s possible to flash the firmware in HAOS:

Useful information. Thanks!
The standard Z-Wave JS should have the Bootloader functionality at least, in case of update failure.

I am going to use Simplicity Studio from now on.